Starting a long journey.. Riparium 2.0, a 20g long - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you've got shrimp or fish such as ottos, I'd probably toss the bulb in with them and let em munch away!

I usually pull the Riccia into strands and spread them out. They seem to multiple better that way. Don't hesitate to ask if I've got some left, I just snapped this a minute ago. It's about 3" thick in most areas! Haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Nice blob-o-riccia! is that 4 leaf clover ontop?
I managed to have enough to cover the black foam

Also just fed betta peas for lunch (with tweezers), and otos blanched lettuce last night... i swear only 1 oto is smart enough to figure out I'm putting food in there >.>
post #18 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 07:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yup, it is some Hydrocotyle tripartita that came loose during a water change and has started growing emersed on top of the riccia.

Where in the tank is your stardust? I've got some in my 55 and it seems like a super slow grower compared to my other nana/petite.
post #19 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
Yup, it is some Hydrocotyle tripartita that came loose during a water change and has started growing emersed on top of the riccia.

Where in the tank is your stardust? I've got some in my 55 and it seems like a super slow grower compared to my other nana/petite.
I was really interested in the aquatic clovers, until i realized the photos i liked were emersed growth, and it looks more like.. glosso than 4leaf clover when grown submerged.
If you look at the top photo of my first post, almost far right of the tank, smallest tiny leafed nana on the right is the stardust. Its very subtle, I can take a photo of it tomorrow (don't like to turn the lights on and stuff my hands in the tank after lights out). I think was emersed grown, two leaves have melted off :/ Only got it 2 weeks ago so can't say anything about growth rate. Several of the other anubias I got with it are starting to grow new leaves.
post #20 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 02:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

The same Hydrocotyle sp. that is submersed in the 55 looks almost identical shape wise but more compact. Definitely still the same shape though. I've also got MM in there, it does exactly what you're describing. Emersed looks like clover, submersed it grows MUCH closer to Glosso.

Found the Stardust! Thanks! Yeah, mine had three leaves, with a fourth on the way, when I got it about a month and a half ago. Two have died and it is just now starting to put out it's first new leaf since I got it. Definitely seems to be taking longer to adjust and start growing than most of my other Anubias.
post #21 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
The same Hydrocotyle sp. that is submersed in the 55 looks almost identical shape wise but more compact. Definitely still the same shape though. I've also got MM in there, it does exactly what you're describing. Emersed looks like clover, submersed it grows MUCH closer to Glosso.

Found the Stardust! Thanks! Yeah, mine had three leaves, with a fourth on the way, when I got it about a month and a half ago. Two have died and it is just now starting to put out it's first new leaf since I got it. Definitely seems to be taking longer to adjust and start growing than most of my other Anubias.
Here's a close up of mine anyways ^^.. looks like another leaf or two is trying to melt on the lower left grrr *tilts plant to show nicer leaves for photo*

[added]I dose my tank with Seachem recommended dosages of Excel, flourish, potassium, and phosphorus. My ph is 7.5, my gh/kh are high, and lighting probably around "medium".. not sure what of that the anubias like but they are all spitting out at least 1 new leaf it seems (which is good since the recent batch had several deficient/dying leaves i had to snip so need them to hurry up and make some nice new ones ^^)

Hydro sp. japan! That's what I wanted! Thank you I couldn't remember the name but wanted a clover looking plant to shove in my mish-mash 7g cube (also going to try dwarf baby tears in there.. I foresee an hour of swearing when trying to plant)

Last edited by AquaAurora; 04-21-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typo-o-o+ lil' info
post #22 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 05:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nice, I'll try to get a shot of mine today. HC is a total pain in the ass to plant. I got rid of it long ago. Hahaha... I've got more Hydro. 'japan' then any one man should have. It takes over my emersed 55 in less than a month. Let me know if you want some.
post #23 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Nice, I'll try to get a shot of mine today. HC is a total pain in the ass to plant. I got rid of it long ago. Hahaha... I've got more Hydro. 'japan' then any one man should have. It takes over my emersed 55 in less than a month. Let me know if you want some.
I was hesitant to try tears but figured fudge it! Try everything once! Wish I'd seen your offer before finalizing buying of the hydro sp japan >.<. Look forward to seeing your stardust, hope it starts growing faster for you!
post #24 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tank and plants look dope, but the table cloth is taking away from it
post #25 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhays79 View Post
Tank and plants look dope, but the table cloth is taking away from it
Thank you and yes I know, was only free one that would fit over that table at the time...unfortunately my niece had used it for a while and RUINED IT with carving with her pen into the wood =,= Going to try to get a black table cloth if i can find such a thing... think people usually like to sell something more.. colorful..
post #26 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 02:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
...unfortunately my niece had used it for a while and RUINED IT with carving with her pen into the wood =,=

Sounds like it's time to turn your table into a work of art! LOL. As you can see in this picture(of unpacking my BML fixture) my dining table is anything but "clean" hahaha! This happened over several years to get it to it's current point, though there are multiple layers.
post #27 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yours actually looks kinda cool. Dinner table huh? Does the spouse of the house like to cover that when guests come to eat? This one's got teenage-angsting-giberish-y-nonses scratched in (along with a few "lol"s and "hi"s and "omg <3 [insert band/show movie character/school crush]"), not as nice to look at so covered it up. My mother says her art society uses black tablecloths for their events so she's going to get me info on where they buy theirs (yay). If that falls through I might just buy a large bolt of simple black cloth and sew the edged.. maybe even cut out the tank shape so I can just slip it on over the current cover and tank... not be bothered with draining and refilling/re-planting/re-acclimating fish to the tank.
post #28 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So got some riparium planters and free plants with it in. Plants were floated in their bags on the tank to acclimate before putting the the planters. Aristoto the betta (finally decided to go with that name, and yes its spelled and pronounced wrong for 'oto') was very inquisitive as I opened the box in front of his tank and put the plant bag in to warm up.
There are two new small anubias in the tank, sold as "nana var narrow leaf" from a site that also sells petite. Their leaves look a exactly like the largest leaves of the petites (and stardust) I have but they were cheap so I don't mind. I only bought one but a smaller one was thrown in for free, love buying from plantedaquariumcentral ^^
If it wasn't apparent from my last photo with the long view of the tank, the smaller HOB has been on my 10G. The 10g is a hold tank for some shrimp and other plants until their final tanks are ready. I've been debating about stuffing the glosso I got into the 20g, though it has no co2 I do dose excel, and would be curious to see what it would do in there. I thought about draining the tank and adding some MGOPM under the sand where I plan the carpet buuut I'm lazy so i think I'd just shove in a root tab or two (if i do add them).
It seems the personalities of the otos and betta have rubbed off on each other. Several days ago I fed the otos some lettuce, they seems to go after it faster than the zucchini.. also found the betta eating with them again (I don't under feed him I swear.. he just eats anything he sees them eat). The otos now have no fear of my hands or the siphon in the tank and seem to like to play "dart under the siphon" while I'm cleaning x.x This past Sunday one got sucked in but I ripped the siphon out of the water to break suction before he got to the top of it... litter buggers kept playing their daredevil game even after that near accident =.= makes its a bit harder to clean quickly having keep an eye on them..
I'm 90% sure there are still 5 otos in there but 1 always seems to hide, the other 4 have no problem being out and about all day and night. Even saw them 'school' for a minute last night after lights out, good compact swim formation, then they A.D.D.ed on whatever and stopped schooling.
Blah blah blah, here's some photos

post #29 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

([censor] you browser! and your refresh page loosing my nearly completely type up!!

No photo updates today, just ramblings (may add photos tomorrow)

Bad News:
"Waldo" the forever hiding oto was finally found.. a colorless corpse. The other 4 otos and Arist'oto' are still fine and active. The lfs is still sold out so haven't been able to replace 'em yet.
2 of my anubias had rhizome rot, had to lop off half my coffefoolia (NOOOO) and one of the newer nanas.
Several of the newest anubias had dead/dieing leaves (most likely old emersed growth) had to cut off, lost a bit of the 'thick leafy jungle' look :/
A light (and especially checkered) colored table cloth is just a bad idea.. its getting stains from mulm, plants, etc.. really leaning towards that black cover...

Good News:
Ludwigia arcuata x repens has new sexy leaves (a bit thicker and more color than the narrow older leaves).. will get a photo of it soon promise.
The unknown mystery stems seem to be finally growing more (they kind of stagnated in the 10g).
All plants in the hob (except maidenhair fern) are doing well and growing, new leaves on everything (yay).
Aside from Waldo, everyone's still alive and getting along just fine.
Otos have been keeping the tank algae free for me (I was so worried about a diatom explosion), only found bba on a dieing anubias leaf which I sniped off.

Whats New/Other:
Added gloso and brazilian pennywort from the 10g. Going to let the gloso grow wild/unmanaged and hope it slowly carpets for me. The pennywort will be grown to the surface to corral floaters and maybe even allowed to grow up from there to hang with the riparium plants.
Added 2 mini sponge filters hooked up to a whisper 10 to cycle (they will be moved to the shrimp bowl and jar in a few weeks).
Ruellia 'Katie' and Cyperus Umbrella Sedge are not in the best condition, haven't bounced back yet.. but not dead.
Maidenhair Fern shows signs of shock from transition and no new growth, also the [censor] cat got a hold of it when i had it out of the filter for 30 seconds and shredded some leaves (i really hate that white meowing monster sometimes) but its not dead at least.
Threw in 4 Malaysian trumpet snails to stir up the sand for me (mostly been doing it during water changes by stuffing siphon down deep to suck up the air bubbles in case its bad gas).
Sponge intake cover on the HOB got clogged with gunk and needed cleaned (thought the filter was starting to KO on me but thankfully not).
Asti'oto' loves to watch me do water tests since i sit in front of the tank to use its light.

Oh wait I lied! Here's a photo from Saturday I like to call "oto pinwheel" (someones facing the wrong way...) and the betta did eat some of this zuchini too..

edit: also decided, Arist'oto' will stay in the tank, i think he and the otos would be sad to be separated.. am looking for some peaceful (non fin nipping) small schooling fish to stick in here with them.. considering the smaller rainbow breeds, thoughts?

Last edited by AquaAurora; 04-29-2014 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added info and qustion at bottom
post #30 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Angry just not a good day..

Well damn it all!
The damaged coffefolia that I had to trim before just.. dissolved today when i touched it so now I'm done to one. Also one of the crap anubias i bought from a pt member that had send me specimens with rot or deficiencies was dead (rhizome was brown mush). I don't know which one it was.. a narrow long leafed variety.. will have to look it up and try to find a different seller. The others that came with rhizome rot are not looking so hot even though I cut off the original rot.. hope they don't die on me too or I am going to be so pissed! My oldest tiny piece of anubias nana finally kicked the bucket too (didn't expect it to live but it help on a long while).. so yeah... frustrating morning =.=

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode