20L Planted Tank - First Timer (56K Warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34
20L Planted Tank - First Timer (56K Warning)

Bought a 20 gallon a couple of weeks ago in hopes to start my first planted tank. I've kept african cichlids in the past and I wanted to try something smaller especially since I live in a 630sq feet condo now.

Overall Plan
The overall plan is to make a relatively simple low-tech tank. I'm new to planted tanks so I want to make this easy on myself.

*Progress*
Tanks is quite heavily planted and nitrogen cycle is close to complete. Waiting to stock inhabitants.

Equipment
20 Gallon Long Marineland Tank (~$42)
Homemade Stand (~$100)
Finnex Planted+ (~$100)
Eheim 2213 Used ($70)
Hydor ETH 200 In-Line Heater ($50)
Glass Canopy ($32)
40lbs of Eco-Complete Black ($84)
Nutrafin A7690 Co2 System ($42) - still waiting to be delivered

PS - I can't believe I spent $84 bucks on dirt/soil (i.e. Eco complete)

Plants
- Dwarf Hair Grass
- Taiwan Moss
- Riccia
- Vallisneria americana (Tape grass)
- Lacy Java Fern
- Java Fern
- Java Moss
- Phoenix Moss
- Flame Moss
- Wendtii Crypts

Livestock
I am probably going to keep one or two BN plecos in there since they have been pretty effective in cleaning my tanks in the past. Also thinking about keeping two or three apisto agassiziis and maybe another two petricolas.

Pictures tell a thousand words so here we go:

Stand Build
Tools used: Mitre Saw, Jig Saw, Drill with Bits, Impact Drill, Clamps, Ruler, Hammer
Materials used: 2x3s, 1x1s, Moulding (for framing), OSB Panels, Screws, Nails, Paint, Puddy









Last edited by kuopan; 04-30-2014 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Editing Pictures
kuopan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 07:11 PM
Algae Grower
 
Trigger334's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sourthern Oregon
Posts: 44
Coming along great. Love the stand. If I had the resources, I would have built my own, but I just had to break down and buy one. It will be great to see how your vision on folds. Thanks for sharing.
Trigger334 is offline  
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger334 View Post
Coming along great. Love the stand. If I had the resources, I would have built my own, but I just had to break down and buy one. It will be great to see how your vision on folds. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Trigger! I almost bought a stand too but also wanted to learn how to build one. It was a good way to spend a weekend. The right tools are definitely necessary.
kuopan is offline  
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 03:20 AM
Algae Grower
 
Kstawski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25
Looks great so far! Love the sleekness of it!
Kstawski is offline  
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 04:56 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
lamiskool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 1,790
Beautiful craftsmanship!
lamiskool is offline  
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 05:03 AM
Planted Member
 
Zoidborg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth Prime, Sol System, Milky Way, Horrible Gelatinous Monster
Posts: 235
I wish I built by own stand for my 20L G now.

Good luck on your tank, hope to see it full soon.
Zoidborg is offline  
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 06:11 AM
Planted Member
 
MadRiverPat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vermont
Posts: 185
Not sure if you were planning on hanging the light or just using the legs provided with the finnex fixture, but I would advise hanging it. My attempt to do low light with the standard fugeray was a struggle because of how shallow the tank is. Other's may chime in and say that it is fine, but I grew a lot of algae with it sitting on the tank. Just some food for thought. Stand look great too! looking forward to seeing the tank progress.
MadRiverPat is offline  
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 07:37 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 100
Awesome job on the stand looks great.
stan71 is offline  
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 07:45 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Stockon
Posts: 117
Gj on the stand! Can't wait to see the updates!
Crazy4discus is offline  
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34
Thanks alot everyone for the great comments!!

I was actually thinking about the finnex fixture being too low as well. Hanging is unfortunately not an option for me. I need to figure out a neat way to raise the lights. Perhaps I'll build a canopy.

Out of curiosity, how long did you leave the lights on for which resulted in the algae outbreak? I'm hoping I can battle the algae by limiting the turn-on time for the light, and adding the 2 BN plecos. Since I'm steering into the direction of low light plants, I'm hoping that won't limit growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRiverPat View Post
Not sure if you were planning on hanging the light or just using the legs provided with the finnex fixture, but I would advise hanging it. My attempt to do low light with the standard fugeray was a struggle because of how shallow the tank is. Other's may chime in and say that it is fine, but I grew a lot of algae with it sitting on the tank. Just some food for thought. Stand look great too! looking forward to seeing the tank progress.
kuopan is offline  
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
theericafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA/Bay Area
Posts: 301
I have a ray2 over my 20l and had to raise the lights too. There's some people selling so raisers on the mart. You can also pick up some hagen glo mounts like how I use in my tank. Or the canopy option is a good idea. Hagen glo mounts with some wire(make sure you get the kind that doesn't rust) was an easy option for me.

If you get floating plants like duckweed or salvinia minima you can also reduce the light that way. I would suggest salvinia because its a bit easier to control vs duckweed which kind of takes over.

Last edited by theericafish; 04-09-2014 at 12:24 AM. Reason: fix
theericafish is offline  
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by theericafish View Post
I have a ray2 over my 20l and had to raise the lights too. There's some people selling so raisers on the mart. You can also pick up some hagen glo mounts like how I use in my tank. Or the canopy option is a good idea. Hagen glo mounts with some wire(make sure you get the kind that doesn't rust) was an easy option for me.

If you get floating plants like duckweed or salvinia minima you can also reduce the light that way. I would suggest salvinia because its a bit easier to control vs duckweed which kind of takes over.
I just took a look at your journal. Amazing tanks! where did you get your raisers from? that's a pretty neat idea and it looks great too!
kuopan is offline  
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
theericafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA/Bay Area
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuopan View Post
I just took a look at your journal. Amazing tanks! where did you get your raisers from? that's a pretty neat idea and it looks great too!
I got them at my local fish store but these are the ones:

http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Light...-Systems/A3915

Then I used aluminum 3/32" wire and bent it and slid it into the slots that the fixtures normal legs fit into.

The whole setup should be under 20$.

Other options are stuff like this:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...finnex+acrylic

You can also use the same idea to make a hanging kit like these:

Finnex Ray II / FugeRay Hanging Kit

Also thanks for the compliment Stands looking great btw!

Last edited by theericafish; 04-09-2014 at 05:20 AM. Reason: :)
theericafish is offline  
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 06:30 AM
Planted Tanker
 
burr740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bama
Posts: 3,007
Nice build on the stand. Subscribed for future updates
burr740 is online now  
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by theericafish View Post
I got them at my local fish store but these are the ones:

http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Light...-Systems/A3915

Then I used aluminum 3/32" wire and bent it and slid it into the slots that the fixtures normal legs fit into.

The whole setup should be under 20$.

Other options are stuff like this:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...finnex+acrylic

You can also use the same idea to make a hanging kit like these:

Finnex Ray II / FugeRay Hanging Kit

Also thanks for the compliment Stands looking great btw!
Thanks for all the info!! Will also drop by Home Depot this weekend to see if I can find other effective ways to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Nice build on the stand. Subscribed for future updates
thanks Burr!!
kuopan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome