The Planted Tank Forum banner

40B Tank "Dutch-ish"

18K views 91 replies 15 participants last post by  Chris_Produces 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATED PICS ARE USUALLY ON THE LAST PAGE

Lights: 2 Radion XR15 Freshwater

Filtration: Hagen AquaClear 70

CO2: Pressurized. 24oz Paintball, GLA Atomic Paintball V2 Regulator, Standard glass/ceramic diffuser, stainless check valve, and standard glass drop checker with premixed solution.

Circulation: Hydor Koralia Nano 240

Heater: Hydor Inline (holding tank at 76/77 degrees).

Fish: 3 Celestial Pearl Danios, 8 Neon Tetras, 1 Zebra Loach, 1 SAE, 5 Otocinclus, Red Cherry Shrimp (population unknown), 9 Harlequin Rasboras.

Substrate: CaribSea Flora Max Planted (Midnight)

Plants: Always changing

#7 ·
That hc and dwarf hairgrass will fill in nicely. It took almost a moth for my hairgrass to spread I was so impatient I would wake up everyday and get so excited over a couple new blades Hahaha. I use to run a filstar xp3 on my 40 breeder, it was the best canister filter I've ever had almost up to par with eheims but not as expensive. Although I recently started using fluval canisters I don't like them they are way too fragile avoid them.

#8 ·
I'm the same way lol. I actually just purchased an API Filstar-M. Says it's good for 75 gallons so I'm finally set there. Now for some sweet looking lily pipes :bounce:. I'm glad to hear that you like the filstar line. So far I'm really digging mine and the extra flow. I'll def have to add pics of it soon for the journal.

#14 ·
Just ordered my Atomic Paintball Co2 Regulator V2 from GLA. Going to hook that up and post a little review. Maybe some people are wondering what happened with the Milwaukee regulator...I had it "float" and end up gasing my fish..was lucky it wasn't worse than it was. I always run an air pump as a safety. I lost my hillstream loach, and two neon tetras over the event...:mad: It happened over the weekend while I was out of town. Everything is ran on a timer, just FYI.

Putting the Milwaukee on a 120 gallon and using a 2lb paintball setup with the new GLA Regulator for my 40B. It sucks because of what happened with the fish but I look forward to what lies ahead.

#19 · (Edited)
Thanks! Yeah def go with the GLA V3. I switched the Milwaukee to my 125g so when accidents happen, I have a far bigger margin in that error. The 24oz paintball system with the Atomic V2 is amazing!!! I haven't had to tinker with the needle valve since I got it set right for the tank. Recently ran out of nitrogen and nearly phosphates. Def showed up in the new growth I was getting. Dosing today and hope to see a quick turn around.

#21 ·
Went away for a while and you can see the lack of phosphates and that imbalance have seemed to cause some GSA that you can see on the back. I tested the water to confirm my suspicion I had based on research done here. With my tanks I know for sure when this shows up, my phosphates have been zero each time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

#31 ·
Changes

Still getting rid of BBA but it's coming along. I tore up the HC and decided I want to do nothing but dense planting with bigger plants (no carpet plant really). That being said, I still keep finding HC shooting up every once in a while. I put a stem of Ammannia Pedicellata "Golden" over on the right front to see how it would do should I get a bunch or two of this. Just watching it now and seeing what happens. Also, Rotala Rotundifolia needs a trim. I'll do that sometime soon. Waiting for more plants now, but figured I show the recent changes and progress.

#37 ·
Just wanted to share an experience with 2 Sat+ fixtures over my 40B. I took the spectrum to full white and red LED's only for about a week. Kept up with my dosing and even took reading every other day for nitrate and phosphates. All my plants faired pretty well and kept growing well with one exception. Rotala Rotundifolia stunted like nothing I'd seen before. Bottoms starting rotting out and new growth up top was small leaves and raggedy. I switched back to full spectrum today. I will report back with changes that occur.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.