New Hi-Tech Rimless 20 Long - *Dutch-ish / Iwagumi* +20L Reef dual setup - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 04:25 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
lamiskool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by theericafish View Post
Oh the horror stories, I traded someone at a plant meet and expected the plants to be decently algae free, put them in my tank without checking(what was I thinking?) and battle with hair algae went on for months.
Same exact thing happened to me....I was soo pissed I didnt dip the plant before putting it into my tank. Thats also why I make sure to tell people if I have algae an am selling/giving away plants.
lamiskool is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
jcgilmore2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Charleston, West Virginia
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by theericafish View Post
Oh the horror stories, I traded someone at a plant meet and expected the plants to be decently algae free, put them in my tank without checking(what was I thinking?) and battle with hair algae went on for months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
Same exact thing happened to me....I was soo pissed I didnt dip the plant before putting it into my tank. Thats also why I make sure to tell people if I have algae an am selling/giving away plants.

Yeah, I ended up tossing most out but set up a little 6g I have as a plant QT tank basically. spot treated the bonsai with excel in there so we shall see. Also just tossing other trimmings in there instead of buckets (were I let them sit for a week with intention of trading them in until I throw them in the yard)

Anyways, Here's some update pics with the new plants.




http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=582193


“We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands.” ― Carl Sagan
jcgilmore2 is offline  
post #33 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 05:03 AM
Planted Member
 
ConfidentBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Central Cali
Posts: 180
Stunning scape! I love looking at others tanks but I immediately get the urge to break down what I've got and give the hard scape another go haha.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ConfidentBlue is offline  
post #34 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 06:33 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Beantown
Posts: 1,575
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Man. That island looks amazing. Have no clue how you guys do tha
Down_Shift is offline  
post #35 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
jcgilmore2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Charleston, West Virginia
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfidentBlue View Post
Stunning scape! I love looking at others tanks but I immediately get the urge to break down what I've got and give the hard scape another go haha.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hahaa. I know how you feel man trust me. We are all our own worst critics... I hate my stuff after like a week of having it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk


http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=582193


“We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands.” ― Carl Sagan
jcgilmore2 is offline  
post #36 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
jcgilmore2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Charleston, West Virginia
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
Man. That island looks amazing. Have no clue how you guys do tha
Haha, thanks man... Will look 100x better to me once the plants grow and I get stuff trimmed and where I want it.

The only way I got the rock to hang out like that was supporting it with the wood.


Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk


http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=582193


“We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands.” ― Carl Sagan
jcgilmore2 is offline  
post #37 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 07:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
chocological's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 357
Looks great! Subscribed.

EDIT:
You 55 journal is also an inspiration for me to really work hard on my 55's scape.

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Choco's Fluval Chi Journal Under construction.
Choco's 55g Journal "Forest by the Spring" Eheim 2217, pressurized C02, high tech planted

chocological is offline  
post #38 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
jcgilmore2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Charleston, West Virginia
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocological View Post
Looks great! Subscribed.

EDIT:
You 55 journal is also an inspiration for me to really work hard on my 55's scape.
Thanks man! I kinda miss the 55, look forward to getting another 4ft tank in the future... just want a little deeper next time.


http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=582193


“We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands.” ― Carl Sagan
jcgilmore2 is offline  
post #39 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
parrottbay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 531
parrottbay is offline  
post #40 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
jcgilmore2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Charleston, West Virginia
Posts: 194
Need some opinions!

So, a few little changes.




First off, removed the second largest rock.. the one to the left of the big one, to make room for more stem plant development on the top of the "mountain."

Of the tiny bit of good rotala sp green stems I got in the shipment I cut them down and replanted two little patches. Hopefully this will grow out so I can get these nice green, well trimmed bushes that I can envision.

Two ideas... Thinking of adding the removed rock to the right side and putting some substrate behind it and putting another little rotala sp green bush over there to balance out the whole scape and give it more of a camyon look instead of the island look... This is still up in the air. I don't dislike it like it is. In this little phone sketch I dont have the rock but you get the idea.



Second idea... extend the substrate along the back wall out further into the sand and have the plants sloping towards the right wall... something like this.



As of now Im favoring the second idea in terms of less work, haha. But I tihnk both would look good, idk what I plan to do.

Thoughts? Opinions? Constructive criticism?

- James


http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=582193


“We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands.” ― Carl Sagan
jcgilmore2 is offline  
post #41 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
jcgilmore2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Charleston, West Virginia
Posts: 194
Stand Idea

Also, need some thoughts on a stand idea I had... Im tired of having my tanks on separate walls but dont have a nice stand for the planted 20L, just my reef tank.

Also, Dont want light from each tank spilling into the other.. so I have come up with something like this.

Anybody have any links to any similar builds? Should be super easy to do and will look nice with FW and SW side by side imo.



http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=582193


“We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands.” ― Carl Sagan
jcgilmore2 is offline  
post #42 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,576
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Firstly, I like the second idea you posted the most.


As for the stand, I have not even made one but I like the design. It seems like it may be easier to have the middle section of the "C" piece to go down to the floor. I think if you used the "C" section for the sides of both stands, it would look the cleanest. However, you could make it modular so if you changed your mind, by making the "A" and "B" sections stand on their own, you could break them up into two stands in the future if you wanted to move the away again.
talontsiawd is offline  
post #43 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
jcgilmore2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Charleston, West Virginia
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Firstly, I like the second idea you posted the most.


As for the stand, I have not even made one but I like the design. It seems like it may be easier to have the middle section of the "C" piece to go down to the floor. I think if you used the "C" section for the sides of both stands, it would look the cleanest. However, you could make it modular so if you changed your mind, by making the "A" and "B" sections stand on their own, you could break them up into two stands in the future if you wanted to move the away again.

Yeah, I agree with the canopy part looking cleaner if it were built into the stands but I would like to be able to break it down in the future if need be as well.

Thinking though... I was pondering switching to a 36" quad t5ho fixture I have. This would require me to make the "C" canopy part at least 7-8" wider. I may do this and have the "C" part even wider sitting on the floor with about 7-8" if space on each side of A and B.

Basically, A & B resting inside and under this bigger C part with plenty of space separating C from the stands, They would stand alone from the canopy nicely If given enough space to do so I think. I would still need that middle brace coming down from C to stop light spill to each tank.

Hope you understand what I am saying, haha... hard to describe this kind of stuff via text like this.


http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=582193


“We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands.” ― Carl Sagan
jcgilmore2 is offline  
post #44 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 05:01 AM
Ebi
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Ebi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orem, Utah
Posts: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgilmore2 View Post
Yeah, I ended up tossing most out but set up a little 6g I have as a plant QT tank basically. spot treated the bonsai with excel in there so we shall see. Also just tossing other trimmings in there instead of buckets (were I let them sit for a week with intention of trading them in until I throw them in the yard)

Anyways, Here's some update pics with the new plants.


As I was going through your journal, I noticed your ista surface skimmer disappear! Very clever idea making it black. How did you do this? Spray paint?
Ebi is offline  
post #45 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
jcgilmore2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Charleston, West Virginia
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
As I was going through your journal, I noticed your ista surface skimmer disappear! Very clever idea making it black. How did you do this? Spray paint?
Haha yes! Semi gloss rustoleum plastic bonding paint. Nice coats and let it sit for a few days to completely dry.

Looks much better, that thing sure was an eye sore!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk


http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=582193


“We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands.” ― Carl Sagan
jcgilmore2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome