Picture heavy, just a warning
This 90 gallon has gone through a few changes, lots of mess ups on my part.
So on my last big mess up, or me getting bored, I don't remember at this point, I tore the whole tank down. It sat around for months until I put together a design that I liked.
I drew layouts, lots of layouts, went through them all finally settling on one that was more realistic then the others.
The plan was to create the usual DIY background build but with a waterfall area and an upper level landing area that could be emersed but constantly wet.
So with the tank drained, cleaned (scrubbed to an extreme with white vinegar to kill anything left and get out all the duckweed), equipment cleaned, tank dried, and initial inserts ready, the process the began after several months.
Before putting the inserts onto the glass, I prebuild the elevated landing area and the two walls it was touching. I used egg crating to build it up, and then zip tied a piece of styrofoam to the platform to create a solid base.
I used a piece of pvc pipe as a leg to the platform to give it more strength.
I used window/door screen to cover nearly all the areas in the platform to serve a multitude of purposes, the first of which to hold the mortar.
I went with mortar over the normal cement mix because of my past trial with it on a 20high. With concrete you have to rake out the rocks and even then its very rough grade. So I went with mortar as its much smoother, mixed it with the normal acrylic fortifier to seal the mortar.
I put in the styrofoam sheets, gluing them in with silicone I. Once in I used several cans of great stuff expanding foam to create depth and features. I also used it to fill up cracks and every where I didn't want fish or plants to get into. I created a lip and build up around the edge of the platform so I can get it to hold soil/plants. The waterfall area is also held into place using the great foam to hold the driftwood into place.
Two coats of mortar later I have a final product!
pictures coming soon once I can get them uploaded off my phone.
As I was building the background I was also gathering parts to build a co2 regulator. All the parts are together, just need to put it together, but I wasn't in a rush yet until I got the tank up and running. I will update on the regulator shortly, I got a great deal of help from FlyingHellFish, much thanks.
The flora plan is most likely for a pure crypt setup.
Parva for the front areas and most likely including the platform area.
Wendtii green and red for the background, along with balansae
lutea for the midground. I may throw in a few others depending on room, but at this point I'm thinking it may be cramped.
For the area under the platform, I have a small branch/bush that I'm going to cover with flame moss I already have.
The walls I might put several pieces of anubius nana or something similar all over it.
Fauna. Undecided still. Really loving the idea of a few breeding pairs of german blue rams with rummynose tetra's for dither.
If I go this route, I have a few caves and pieces of stone made from electrical boxes, great stuff, and I'll coat them with mortar to make them look natural.
Please leave comments, suggestions, or anything else. As I said pictures to come