The Planted Tank Forum banner

New Aquascape for 2014 - ADA Mini-M #3

13K views 84 replies 28 participants last post by  frrok 
#1 · (Edited)
Figured I post it here real quick. I will add to this thread periodically...

New Scape for ADA MINI-M (no title yet)

Seriyou Stone

Manzinita Driftwood

Flora:
Hygrophilia pinatifida
Vesicularia montagnei 'Xmas moss'
Taxiphyllum sp. 'Peacock moss'
Bolbitis heroclita
Eleocharis acicularis 'belem'
Micranthemum sp. 'Monte Carlo'
Cryptocorne wendtii
Staurogyne.repens
Rotala rotundofolia
Rotala sp. 'mini butterfly'
Hemianthus glomeratus(micranthemoides)

this is all tentative and may change as I start planting and see how things go. I am going to dry start for 2 weeks only for moss. cuz I want it to attach to the stone.

thanks for looking

substrate

See less See more
#5 ·
That looks really nice with the way that wood looks like it has grown onto that stone. Did it just wrap around that rock so nicely by luck or did you have to break away any rock to get that look? I can't wait to see what you do with the planting because that hard scape looks really nice.

#13 ·
4/8 - Day 24 Moss Dry Start.

Good growth on the moss. I really like how its looking and it seems to be attached very well. I may have had a little too much water because I notice some green algae on the front glass. its nothing some h202 can't kill off. Im in the process of sourcing all the plants that I need for when I flood. Which will happen very soon. I'd rather start with as much plant mass as possible from the very beginning so as not to give the algae a chance to take hold. let me know what you think. thanks!

#14 ·
I like this hardscape and how you're using the dry start. More curious as to what you're going to be doing with the rest of the space.

Smart with the high plant mass post flooding, it's a problem I'm just now remedying on my my most recent scape. Got cocky and started with low plant mass because I couldn't acquire enough Eleocharis 'belem' fast enough.

#19 ·
1 WEEK UPDATE. co2 was at 3 maybe 4(hard to tell) bps. I'm starting to drop it during the week down to about 2bps. My ammonia levels have dropped dramatically in under a week. I am pretty much ready for livestock. I'll probably start off with ottos and amano's to help eat the diatom algae that has developed, of course. Water change schedule will change from daily water changes to twice weekly until the system becomes more stable, then it will be once weekly. Dosing schedule for the first week was, K And micros every other day. Changing it up to NPK AND MICROS every other day. Basically EI. The Monte Carlo looks a little beat up but I see new growth and that's a good sign. Actually there is new growth on all the plants in only a week. Anyway... I'll explain more about the set up in my next post.

#23 ·
Ok, where did you get that stone/wood combo? I am guessing they did not come this way LOL. But how in the heck, really creative and it is nice to see somthing refreshing and unique.

Did you have to alter the stone to get it to fit the wood or did you just somehow find the two and get them to work?

Seriously, bravo for the brilliance of this idea.

#24 ·
hey! thanks for the compliments.... actually, these stones are re-used hardscape materials from previous scapes. actually, this piece of wood is an extra piece that I got from a manzinita wood order. I have others. the stone I got from a local fellow hobbyist. which is kind of rare to score locally and I got a great deal...so cheers to that dude. As far as the hardscape is concerned... I messed with it for a couple of days and tried different variations of stone and wood until I stumbled upon this combination. When it fit I as pretty amazed myself. The only thing I do regret is somehow securing the wood on the stone somehow..(maybe with glue?) it kind of moves back a little every time I'm in the tank doing some work. I tried superglue after I had already filed the tank but it didn't adhere well. I need to buy more then Im going to drain the tank and try to attach it to the main stone again. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to speak up...i need the advice.

#25 ·
Week 2 Update.

Things are still going relatively well. Stems are growing tremendously... Almost time to trim off all the old emerged growth. My rotala is growing roundish leaves which is kind of interesting... monte carlo took a a little hit but I see all new growth on it and its spreading. there is brown algae on most of the plants but that doesn't bother me one bit. very little green algae that i try to get rid of or spot dose with h2 o2.... since I had brown algae I decided to pick up 3 amanos and 3 ottos.... one of which I transferred into my 4 gallon cube because he immediately started swimming funny. the rest of the clean up crew were fine up until yesterday after I did my weekly water change and maintenance. I decided to do a fairly substantial water change because I wanted to get the water level down really low in order to try and secure the wood to my stones. It would move every time I touched it and it was driving me nuts. So I used some super glue and attached the wood to my stones at two different spots. Filled the tank back up and dialed my c02 up a bit. After a few hours and the co2 is kicking...I noticed the ottos were being very listless --- one died later on. One of the amanos was in the same spot for an hour acting funny. Now I'm getting worried. the other ottos seems ok, but he hid in the back of the tank behind the stems... I dialed back the co2 because I was worried that i gassed them. the other 2 amanos seems fine. I remember when I was glueing the wood together that I got some in the water by mistake...I hope that didn't release something in the tank. according to my research, many people use super glue in their tanks and that it is safe when it comes in contact with water after setting. but some of it did get in the water...im not sure. I may have to go out and get 1 more otto and amano....sux :(

Other than that incident, Im really liking when things are going. As far as plant growth, I do have some crypts in there that were bought from those tissue culture plants at petco they seem to be taking longer to acclimate but I do see a little leaf coming through... if they don't work out I will try to find some healthier specimens.

thanks for following along....

#34 ·
Things keep getting worse. Algae got really bad. I tried the 1-2 punch algae treatment but it didn't seem to do much. I guess I used too low of a dose. I spot dose but the algae is starting to get away from me. I also raised my lights and cut my photoperiod. Also, I got 8 chili rasboras on Tuesday. The next day all but 2 jumped out. Bummer!! I have since learned that I did not properly acclimate them to my c02... I thought I had but was a little impatient on getting them in the tank. On the hunt now for more. It seems as though they've been hard to come by as of late.

Having a tough time with this layout. I thought I learned a lot from my last one but I find that I'm making the same mistakes. It's too bad, it's such a good hardscape I'd hate to start over. Anyway, I missed my water change this past weekend because I was out of town. This tank is due for a trimming, cleaning and big water change.
Here it is at day 47. Almost week 7. Thx for following.

#35 ·
Week 7. Trim 2 and major clean up. There's still algae but I think I can start treating it. The main culprit is BBA starting to form on wood and rocks. I think I'm going to start a spot dosing regime this week to kill it. Luckily I have some leftover Monte Carlo growing emmersed. I may fill in some spots that I needed to pull. I also trimmed some of the moss as it was getting very thick and there was some hair algae in it. I also cut up some glass and made a makeshift cover for now. Looks hideous but it works. Stil on the lookout for more chilis as well. The one I have left is def a little pale. According to my research they get redder as they grow older. Let me know what you think!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.