New Aquascape for 2014 - ADA Mini-M #3 - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmLaracy View Post
I like this hardscape and how you're using the dry start. More curious as to what you're going to be doing with the rest of the space.

Smart with the high plant mass post flooding, it's a problem I'm just now remedying on my my most recent scape. Got cocky and started with low plant mass because I couldn't acquire enough Eleocharis 'belem' fast enough.

Thanks. That's exactly the problem I think I had in my last scape. But also, when I dry started my HC I had too much water. You really only need moisture or humidity.

I'm definitely using stems and ephytic plants, ground cover etc... Hopefully it works out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Fantastic hardscape!
post #18 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

New Aquascape for 2014 - ADA Mini-M #3

Officially flooded this past weekend! Super excited about this scape...
post #19 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

1 WEEK UPDATE. co2 was at 3 maybe 4(hard to tell) bps. I'm starting to drop it during the week down to about 2bps. My ammonia levels have dropped dramatically in under a week. I am pretty much ready for livestock. I'll probably start off with ottos and amano's to help eat the diatom algae that has developed, of course. Water change schedule will change from daily water changes to twice weekly until the system becomes more stable, then it will be once weekly. Dosing schedule for the first week was, K And micros every other day. Changing it up to NPK AND MICROS every other day. Basically EI. The Monte Carlo looks a little beat up but I see new growth and that's a good sign. Actually there is new growth on all the plants in only a week. Anyway... I'll explain more about the set up in my next post.
post #20 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks great, should be fun to see this grow in. One of my favorite tanks.

Rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #21 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
Looks great, should be fun to see this grow in. One of my favorite tanks.

Thanks man!
post #22 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

updated my plant list:
Hygrophilia pinatifida
Vesicularia montagnei 'Xmas moss'
Taxiphyllum sp. 'Peacock moss'
Bolbitis heroclita
Eleocharis acicularis 'belem'
Micranthemum sp. 'Monte Carlo'
Cryptocorne wendtii
Staurogyne repens
Rotala rotundofolia
Rotala sp. 'mini butterfly'
Hemianthus glomeratus(micranthemoides)
post #23 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok, where did you get that stone/wood combo? I am guessing they did not come this way LOL. But how in the heck, really creative and it is nice to see somthing refreshing and unique.

Did you have to alter the stone to get it to fit the wood or did you just somehow find the two and get them to work?

Seriously, bravo for the brilliance of this idea.
post #24 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
Ok, where did you get that stone/wood combo? I am guessing they did not come this way LOL. But how in the heck, really creative and it is nice to see somthing refreshing and unique.

Did you have to alter the stone to get it to fit the wood or did you just somehow find the two and get them to work?

Seriously, bravo for the brilliance of this idea.
hey! thanks for the compliments.... actually, these stones are re-used hardscape materials from previous scapes. actually, this piece of wood is an extra piece that I got from a manzinita wood order. I have others. the stone I got from a local fellow hobbyist. which is kind of rare to score locally and I got a great deal...so cheers to that dude. As far as the hardscape is concerned... I messed with it for a couple of days and tried different variations of stone and wood until I stumbled upon this combination. When it fit I as pretty amazed myself. The only thing I do regret is somehow securing the wood on the stone somehow..(maybe with glue?) it kind of moves back a little every time I'm in the tank doing some work. I tried superglue after I had already filed the tank but it didn't adhere well. I need to buy more then Im going to drain the tank and try to attach it to the main stone again. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to speak up...i need the advice.
post #25 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Week 2 Update.

Things are still going relatively well. Stems are growing tremendously... Almost time to trim off all the old emerged growth. My rotala is growing roundish leaves which is kind of interesting... monte carlo took a a little hit but I see all new growth on it and its spreading. there is brown algae on most of the plants but that doesn't bother me one bit. very little green algae that i try to get rid of or spot dose with h2 o2.... since I had brown algae I decided to pick up 3 amanos and 3 ottos.... one of which I transferred into my 4 gallon cube because he immediately started swimming funny. the rest of the clean up crew were fine up until yesterday after I did my weekly water change and maintenance. I decided to do a fairly substantial water change because I wanted to get the water level down really low in order to try and secure the wood to my stones. It would move every time I touched it and it was driving me nuts. So I used some super glue and attached the wood to my stones at two different spots. Filled the tank back up and dialed my c02 up a bit. After a few hours and the co2 is kicking...I noticed the ottos were being very listless --- one died later on. One of the amanos was in the same spot for an hour acting funny. Now I'm getting worried. the other ottos seems ok, but he hid in the back of the tank behind the stems... I dialed back the co2 because I was worried that i gassed them. the other 2 amanos seems fine. I remember when I was glueing the wood together that I got some in the water by mistake...I hope that didn't release something in the tank. according to my research, many people use super glue in their tanks and that it is safe when it comes in contact with water after setting. but some of it did get in the water...im not sure. I may have to go out and get 1 more otto and amano....sux

Other than that incident, Im really liking when things are going. As far as plant growth, I do have some crypts in there that were bought from those tissue culture plants at petco they seem to be taking longer to acclimate but I do see a little leaf coming through... if they don't work out I will try to find some healthier specimens.

thanks for following along....

post #26 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

absolutely amazing!
post #27 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewoeno View Post
absolutely amazing!

Thank you... I appreciate the compliments. It Still has a way to go. It's very immature ... But progressing well.
post #28 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Planted Member

Looking awsome man! Will look even better when those stem plants get even more dense... subscribed.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=582193

“We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands.” ― Carl Sagan
post #29 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

post #30 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's really getting there! The rock sits in with the plants so nicely. When the moss grows just a little more it'll look brilliant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode