My Very First 36G Planted Tank - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

man i hope i foamed it right.. but there is no turning back!! it looks all nasty and this stuff is super sticky..

Last edited by llayz; 04-09-2014 at 12:13 AM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so i tried to cover the foam with sand.. it didnt stick very well it just made the foam sink so i had to refoam the spot that caved in with sand.. I think that is why they use the epoxy?? lol.. i will cut off the extra foam or dremmel it out.. but here are some pictures..

post #33 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So can anyone recommend me carpet plants that is easy to grow?? I haven't research plants yet
post #34 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 05:52 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by llayz View Post
So can anyone recommend me carpet plants that is easy to grow?? I haven't research plants yet
Did you decide if you're running CO2 or not? That will greatly impact your options in terms of carpeting plant options.

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

post #35 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Did you decide if you're running CO2 or not? That will greatly impact your options in terms of carpeting plant options.
I can but last time I tried I has mass amounts of green spot Algee everywhere. I have a DIY setup with either 1/2 bottles of 2 litters. I has 1 bottle on my old tank and it was running for a good 3 weeks. I'm a bit scared to do again cause of the algee but if I can grow better carpets I'll do it
post #36 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I feel like this has become a, what not to do when you're foaming learning experience for everyone loll..

anyhow, So I started clearing up the foam and am stuck with a delima.. i thought the sand would stick the the foam like glue but it didnt so now im stuck with this very very steep foam wall.. any ideas on how to cover this up??

My first thought is moss, but no clue what type and if it will blend in nice with carpeted plants.. I am also leaving gaps behind to fill so i can have plants there too if i want.

post #37 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well tonight i finally get to fill it!! here is the soil/sand cap pics..

i started on the sand and i remembered i wanted to log this on my journal =0D

dirt

sand/filling

post #38 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I just finish putting in the filter and heater.. does anyone know how long I should wait before adding my fish?? I let it sit over night.. Just tossed in the filter (with water and media from old tank filter is Fluval Canister filter 206(9) forgot the n umber) I am a bit confused cause I'm here two things..

either add the fish right away and just do water change daily for 2 weeks..

or wait a week or 2 to let tank cycle then add fish?
post #39 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #40 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 10:59 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by llayz View Post
So I just finish putting in the filter and heater.. does anyone know how long I should wait before adding my fish?? I let it sit over night.. Just tossed in the filter (with water and media from old tank filter is Fluval Canister filter 206(9) forgot the n umber) I am a bit confused cause I'm here two things..

either add the fish right away and just do water change daily for 2 weeks..

or wait a week or 2 to let tank cycle then add fish?
Best is to test your water for Ammonia/Nirite/Nirate levels than taking a guess. Unless you don't care if your fish die then you can add whenever you like :P

15G (13Wx13Dx20H) Plants, Shrimps, and Neon Tetra's.
post #41 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I will be testing. Thanks for the advice.

So I am looking for plants asap and I have no clue where to start. Any ideas on plants that are
Easy to grow for carpeted plants and some
For the background??

I prob want to stick to 3 types

1-carpet
2- bushy looking moss so I can pin to the foam and steep hills on the rocks.
3- maybe some vertical growers somewhere in the back or front to give it some depth? Idea just ideas I'm throwing in my head.

Last edited by llayz; 04-11-2014 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Typo
post #42 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Can't find this answer anywhere but does anyone know if a small 2'' pleco will stir up my substrate?? I read corys are safe but i am scared to put in the pleco

I also have some old plants form my other 30g.. I don't wish to plant them but can I just leave htem floating??
post #43 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can leave them floating as long as all your equipment is still functioning. They wont die, maybe just start to curl towards the light.

The pleco is completely up to you if you want to put it in your tank or not, i know as they grow some lose their algae eating ability, due to no being interested in it anymore.

As for plants....
- carpet - I would go with stargrass, dwarf sag, S. Repens or something along those lines. I have all three in my tanks and under a finnex planted plus all three grow fine. The higher the light the shorter the plants will stay. S Repens will need the tops trimmed I believe to keep it shorter but the other two work off of how high your lighting is. higher lighting shorter plants to get that carpet affect.

- moss - really any moss will do for this purpose, personal favorite of mine is christmas moss, but again any moss should work for covering up your foam and whatever else you have to cover.

- background - This again is all personal preference, If I were you I would go with ludwigia repens or maybe a rotala species. Both of these are easy to grow and arent too demanding. Now if you wanted something different you could go with jungle val, which is also and easy grower, but this will look completely different from the other two. Jungle val in my experience grows well and fast.

+1 on testing your water, good rule of thumb is planting your tank then letting it sit fish-less for two weeks or so to get your cycle going if not finished. After those two weeks then slowly acclimate your fish to the new tank.
post #44 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Definitely test water before throwing them in. Only times I have not done this, is when I used old media from another well established tank (like you did) and I also use a bottle of tetra safe start. Can't tell you enough how awesome that stuff is. Now days I never test when I do both of those things. If only using media, I get nervous and always test, just in case bacteria had died off due to something weird whenever I transfer the old media to a new tank.
post #45 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

looking good! hurry up and plant. I would say if your media from an old tank was still good and had good bio bacteria you should have an instant cycle, test the water if you get no ammo and some nitrates then toss them in after they acclimate to the temp. Keep up on water changes for the first little while until all the stuff settles completely.

VERY GOOD LOOKING SCAPE SO FAR

-Jacklyn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode