Unirdna's 46g Bowfront - Terminated - 03/2004 - 03/2007 - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 413 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 03:30 AM
changing to CherylH

It looks kinda like egeria najans.

Cheryl

My tanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 413 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

No idea what kind of plant it is.. but it does look nice.

Eheim Pimp Member #76
410 litre (110g) tank. Link
post #153 of 413 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 08:31 AM
FMZ
Planted Member

Very nice looking tank, what kind of hair grass is it in the front?? It has taken over the whole tank
post #154 of 413 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMZ
Very nice looking tank, what kind of hair grass is it in the front?? It has taken over the whole tank
I don't know the exact Latin name - but it looked like this when I bought it, and it was purchased at Petco. It was obviously grown emersed because it has terrestrial moss growing on it, and it underwent a huge die-off in the first few weeks.

And you are right, it is taking over the tank. You see that Apon (crinkle-leafed plant on the left side)? It is suppose to take over a tank. And look how the vals fell off over the months. I did not make those changes - the hairgrass made them. Strange that a carpet plant can smother canopy plants - usually the other way around, right?

Ted

ADA 90p - Set up April 2007 - Journal
46g - Terminated March 2007 - Journal
post #155 of 413 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looks like Eleocharis Acicularis to me ... "Dwarf Hairgrass."

John P.
post #156 of 413 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Its looking great. I liked the middle pic the best though. I think the anacharis is a bit spaced out...maybe bunching it up closer?

40g AGA Breeder: Pimp# 44: Eheim 2026; Anti- Filstar; CLTT UV; 3 wpg PC, pressurized CO2. GATA! FTD!!!
post #157 of 413 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
Its looking great. I liked the middle pic the best though. I think the anacharis is a bit spaced out...maybe bunching it up closer?
I completely understand what you're saying, and here's where we reach an impass. It's a question of what you want out of your aquascape... I like it wild - the wilder the better. I even like the look of old, dying leaves . The middle photo was taken a few months into my "plant" days. I was never happy with it no matter how much I pruned and replanted. Then, I went on a 3-week vacation. When I got back my tank was an overgrown disaster....and I loved it . Since then, I've approached aquascaping from a different (lazy hehe) perspective.

Glad you enjoyed the photo, though .

Ted

post #158 of 413 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I like the wild look also, my problem is I can't keep my stinking hands out of the tank long enough to let that happen though....

Craig
post #159 of 413 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx
I like the wild look also, my problem is I can't keep my stinking hands out of the tank long enough to let that happen though....
My problem too Applying for jobs and more jobs split with working on getting my dissertation chapters published gives me plenty of time to get wrinkled fingers...

40g AGA Breeder: Pimp# 44: Eheim 2026; Anti- Filstar; CLTT UV; 3 wpg PC, pressurized CO2. GATA! FTD!!!
post #160 of 413 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 04:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

I like the updated shot much more, and applaud the choice to break up the uniformity in the composition. Mixing the stem plants on the right definitely lends a more natural-esque appearence, and allows the plants to balance and contrast each other with better flow that would be disrupted by "bunching" them. The nice dip of the hair grass is cool too.

While the "wild" look is definitely nicer (in my book) I still cannot agree with randomly floating micranthemum stems, and leaving the ratty brown java leaves alone.

lol, then again, lazy . . .

stevenchong-no-gmf.deviantart.com
choutoshio.exblog.jp
post #161 of 413 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

How about some updates Ted?

Eheim Pimp Member #76
410 litre (110g) tank. Link
post #162 of 413 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i second that.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #163 of 413 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Oh, Okay then ;)

Here's a whole tanks shot. The right side was getting too dark, so I hacked out a bunch and planted it in the tank at work. I am always amazed at how skewed my interpretation of a head-on photo can be, so I took a few more photos to help give a more complete perspective.

One thing that is hard to grasp is the size of that Java fern. It is a monster, and effective divides the tank in two. Here are right and left side photos.

(right)

(left)

...and remember when I said that pearl grass would make a comeback? Well, it's on the move up front...

....and even sneaking around the back, left side; making its way into the java

The vals, seemingly stalled over the past few months have made a curious move - out into the hairgrass.

And try this one on for size ... Around the right corner, microsword shows up. Nice, and I like it - but, I never planted microsword in this tank. Additionally, I haven't added any new plants in 6+ months.

Finally, I have replaced the male ram with a new one. This guy was always my favorite, but, unfortunately became the omega odd-man-out when the two females originally paired up. So, he's been in a 15 gal by himself for over a year. With the pair failing to produce any viable fry in their last 3 attempts, I decided to let this "banished" male have a go. He's actually larger and more colorful than the other males; I can't figure out why he got his butt beat. Check out the length on that 4th dorsal ray .

Ted

post #164 of 413 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

damn! you need to give that beast a working. I think If you moved the javas to the right a bit more, it would balance out the tank a bit better. I love the hairgrass; I hope mine becomes as nice as yours; I bought it the same way you did, from petsmart.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #165 of 413 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

After a full year of NEVER trimming the java fern, it finally got its first haircut. Those giant vals may need some discipline soon, as well. They are really taking the battle to my hairgrass. And check out those three rasboras on the left - synchonized swimming.

Something for the takers at aquabid

Ted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode