90g Discus Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
izabella87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: montreal,canada
Posts: 732
90g Discus Aquarium

Hey everyone,

This is my somewhat new set-up, mainly for discus, but also home to endlers, gyppies, platies, bristlesnose plecos, tetras and shrimp.

heres a video followed by pictures!

[video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jay6tDeddc8]​






Believe in the impossible because only a fraction of the things humans have accomplished was considered possible - IK
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Enshacra87
Instagram @ Enshacra87
izabella87 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 06:47 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
du3ce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: colorado
Posts: 1,044
your discus looks pretty badly stunted hope youre doing wc everyday
du3ce is offline  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
izabella87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: montreal,canada
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by du3ce View Post
your discus looks pretty badly stunted hope youre doing wc everyday
not everyday, twice a week. tank isn't very populated.

Believe in the impossible because only a fraction of the things humans have accomplished was considered possible - IK
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Enshacra87
Instagram @ Enshacra87
izabella87 is offline  
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
izabella87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: montreal,canada
Posts: 732
Got some plants today and snapped a few pics during the water change


Believe in the impossible because only a fraction of the things humans have accomplished was considered possible - IK
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Enshacra87
Instagram @ Enshacra87
izabella87 is offline  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
ChadRamsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canton, Ga
Posts: 1,436
looks nice



There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
izabella87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: montreal,canada
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
looks nice
Thanks I try keep it as clean and natural as possible!

Believe in the impossible because only a fraction of the things humans have accomplished was considered possible - IK
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Enshacra87
Instagram @ Enshacra87
izabella87 is offline  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 100
Have you had these discus long, or did you just get them. They look dark and very badly stunted. Look at their eyes. Very big for the size of fish.

I couldn't get the video to work, I'm getting an error. But from the pics, is that all fish poop in the sand? Discus won't be able to deal with all that gunk. They demand pristine water and tank. Are you feeding them about 6 times a day? They look a bit thin, as well as stunted. Is the temp at least 82f or 28c?

They won't tolerate nitrates. If you have over about 5 ppm nitrate, you need to lower those quickly. Twice a week water changes might not be enough. Also don't bother with piddly little 10-20% changes. They want huge water changes, 90% each time is more their speed. As many times per week as needed to keep nitrates below 5 ppm.

When you test for nitrates, shake the bottle at least for 3 minutes before using them. The reagents precipitate out of solution. You need to shake very vigorously for at least three minutes to re- suspend it. Otherwise you get false low nitrate numbers.
Nu2Plants is offline  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
izabella87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: montreal,canada
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2Plants View Post
Have you had these discus long, or did you just get them. They look dark and very badly stunted. Look at their eyes. Very big for the size of fish.

I couldn't get the video to work, I'm getting an error. But from the pics, is that all fish poop in the sand? Discus won't be able to deal with all that gunk. They demand pristine water and tank. Are you feeding them about 6 times a day? They look a bit thin, as well as stunted. Is the temp at least 82f or 28c?

They won't tolerate nitrates. If you have over about 5 ppm nitrate, you need to lower those quickly. Twice a week water changes might not be enough. Also don't bother with piddly little 10-20% changes. They want huge water changes, 90% each time is more their speed. As many times per week as needed to keep nitrates below 5 ppm.

When you test for nitrates, shake the bottle at least for 3 minutes before using them. The reagents precipitate out of solution. You need to shake very vigorously for at least three minutes to re- suspend it. Otherwise you get false low nitrate numbers.
Previous video link

Here I will answer all these questions, I have them since about 1 month, temp is 28 celcius, water changes 2X a week, this isnt poop it just different color substrated. There are no nitrates I did the test just yesterday. Ph 6.8
here's a small video of today. Wasnt made about the discus but you see close ups of the tanks.

Believe in the impossible because only a fraction of the things humans have accomplished was considered possible - IK
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Enshacra87
Instagram @ Enshacra87
izabella87 is offline  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
izabella87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: montreal,canada
Posts: 732
hey everyone ! Did my 90% wc today. here's some pictures!!



Believe in the impossible because only a fraction of the things humans have accomplished was considered possible - IK
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Enshacra87
Instagram @ Enshacra87
izabella87 is offline  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 776
tank looks nice.

sorry, very poor quality fish. They did not get fed enough. You can tell by how big the eyes are in relation to the body.
Feed them 3-5x's a day with high protein diet of beef heart and quality pellets. 100% water changes every other day for a minimum. Every day would be best

Honestly, if you're serious about wanting some discus I would get rid of the runts and find a pair of nice 5-6" adults. They will handle bi-weekly 90% water changes and be much easier to care for overall.

Raising "good" discus from 2-3" is hard to do and about impossible in anything other than a bare bottom

Good luck
rbarn is offline  
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
izabella87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: montreal,canada
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
tank looks nice.

sorry, very poor quality fish. They did not get fed enough. You can tell by how big the eyes are in relation to the body.
Feed them 3-5x's a day with high protein diet of beef heart and quality pellets. 100% water changes every other day for a minimum. Every day would be best

Honestly, if you're serious about wanting some discus I would get rid of the runts and find a pair of nice 5-6" adults. They will handle bi-weekly 90% water changes and be much easier to care for overall.

Raising "good" discus from 2-3" is hard to do and about impossible in anything other than a bare bottom

Good luck
thank you so much
prolly thats why they were such a "good deal price"

I did today a 90% wc + added some vitamin c to lower ph, soon will ask a plumber to install that r/o unit i have n never got installed.

I am serious about them, Ill do my best to keep them well n alive. After the water change today already they seem reinvigorated.

I feel them new life spectrum and spirulina, is that good? i havent seen any beef hearts on the shelves of my lfs, is that a common food for discus?

Believe in the impossible because only a fraction of the things humans have accomplished was considered possible - IK
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Enshacra87
Instagram @ Enshacra87
izabella87 is offline  
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by izabella87 View Post
thank you so much
prolly thats why they were such a "good deal price"

I did today a 90% wc + added some vitamin c to lower ph, soon will ask a plumber to install that r/o unit i have n never got installed.

I am serious about them, Ill do my best to keep them well n alive. After the water change today already they seem reinvigorated.

I feel them new life spectrum and spirulina, is that good? i havent seen any beef hearts on the shelves of my lfs, is that a common food for discus?
1. Dont mess with conditioning the water or an R/O unit. Discus will do fine in any water as long as it is consistent. Consistency is the key. Hard / soft / low pH / high pH - they dont care (unless breeding). It must be absolutely clean though. Water changes, water changes, water changes.

2. Discus require a high protein diet (meat). Throw out the old rule of not overfeeding your fish. discus are piggies. especially when that small. Another reason for the constant water changes being needed.

Check out this page for discus food recipes. Your discus food will come from the grocery store and require some prep time, but if done head of time and frozen is not that bad.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...3-Food-Recipes

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...isolve-in-tank!
rbarn is offline  
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
izabella87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: montreal,canada
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
1. Dont mess with conditioning the water or an R/O unit. Discus will do fine in any water as long as it is consistent. Consistency is the key. Hard / soft / low pH / high pH - they dont care (unless breeding). It must be absolutely clean though. Water changes, water changes, water changes.

2. Discus require a high protein diet (meat). Throw out the old rule of not overfeeding your fish. discus are piggies. especially when that small. Another reason for the constant water changes being needed.

Check out this page for discus food recipes. Your discus food will come from the grocery store and require some prep time, but if done head of time and frozen is not that bad.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...3-Food-Recipes

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...isolve-in-tank!
will look into thanks

Believe in the impossible because only a fraction of the things humans have accomplished was considered possible - IK
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Enshacra87
Instagram @ Enshacra87
izabella87 is offline  
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mark Allred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Spring Creek, Nevada
Posts: 303
Hi Izabella,

Rbarn is right on, about feeding and diet.
If you plan on keeping these fish, all may not be lost.
My wife brought home a football shaped 2 to 3" Cobalt Blue one day.
After about a year of heavy beefheart feedings and 50% water changes,
he actually grew into a pretty nice fish!
He is the blue fish on the left...
[IMG][/IMG]

Mark Allred is offline  
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
izabella87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: montreal,canada
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Allred View Post
Hi Izabella,

Rbarn is right on, about feeding and diet.
If you plan on keeping these fish, all may not be lost.
My wife brought home a football shaped 2 to 3" Cobalt Blue one day.
After about a year of heavy beefheart feedings and 50% water changes,
he actually grew into a pretty nice fish!
He is the blue fish on the left...
[IMG][/IMG]
Waw hes beautiful!!!

Believe in the impossible because only a fraction of the things humans have accomplished was considered possible - IK
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Enshacra87
Instagram @ Enshacra87
izabella87 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome