BiscuitSlayer's 29 - Updated 4.1.08 -Welcome to the Jungle - (56K Unfriendly) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Styxx,

I took your suggestion and started adding FE on the micro days. I am adding about 2 - 3 ML every other day now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice work, growth looks good and I love the different colors you have working off each other.

I wouldn't change out the lighting, I only have a 96w coralife on my 30gl and it's enough. Their reflectors are not that bad, the only downside is the standing fixture bleeds a bit of light onto the walls, but you have plenty of wattage to spare. You're cabomba could be climbing due to excess rather than lack of it.

Although I've had cabomba in the past, I have never grown it in ideal conditions. What happens when you trim the top and leave the rooted stem base, does it branch multiple stems back or just regenerate one stem? Try that, I lop off a few fast species I have and let them grow back at the top, the ones that multiply branches fill out nice and thick at the top on the same base of only a few stems, so the fattened top side plant mass doesn't require extra substrate space for increased stem grouping. If cabomba only regenerates one stem, then you may need to clear out some space there to add the clipped tops to the group to build more mass out of it, and clip them half way down to keep them in tune with the rest of the plants' speed of growth. You can trim a curved face into the group so the regrowth will hold a more evenly manicured form. Then there's always the option to scrap them completely like I did with wisteria, what a pain to keep in line that plant is.
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the compliments jaidexl.

As far as the cabomba goes, I have trimmed the plants a couple of times and replanted just the tops. The last trimming, I left the bottom half of the stalk in the tank and I am waiting to see what sprouts near the cut.

I have read that if you take a stem of cabomba and attach it to the side of the tank with suction cups in a lateral fashion (somehow) that it will create new stalks from each of the leaf sections. I wish I could find the link for this.

It is really crazy though. I trimmed the cabomba back to about 3 inches on Thursday 12/27/07 and today it is already 6" to 7" high. If I can figure out a way to get more good looking tops, I could definately sell/trade this in the SNS.

Filstar Pimp #106

29 Gallon Journal - XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing
Stand and Canopy Build Journal for a 90 On hold for a while...
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I used to do that same thing with bacopa, ludwigia and tonina stems, but I would pin them sideways on the substrate with plastic Vs I fashioned out of zip ties, lead weights can be used also. Works well for quick propagation when you need more stems.

You might find that forcing the stem to regenerate from the base slows growth a bit, which I forgot to mention is another reason why I do that to some of my fast growers. But sometimes it takes them longer to have to reform a root structure from a bare clipping before sprouting upward, just depends on the plant and it's conditions I guess.
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

wow that looks nice.

im about to do the excat same setup except im using flourite and im going to use these lights

http://lightbulbsdirect.com/Merchant...de=F55BX-AR-FS

i hope the lights will work out.

but i have to ask u, u said something about hard to get it balanced? well how did u do it?
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks great! Hope I can get mine up to speed

75 gallon tank: gH 12 degrees, kH 4 degrees/ PC lighting - Coralife Lunar Deluxe fixture 4X65W (2 GE 55W 9325K bulbs, 2 55W EIKO 6500K bulbs)/ 1 Penguin 330 HOB filter, 1 Penguin 125 - bio wheels removed/ Pressurized CO2: tubing fed into input of a maxi-jet 400 power head, 4 bps
post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.tran View Post
wow that looks nice.

im about to do the excat same setup except im using flourite and im going to use these lights

http://lightbulbsdirect.com/Merchant...de=F55BX-AR-FS

i hope the lights will work out.

but i have to ask u, u said something about hard to get it balanced? well how did u do it?
Dr. Tran - Don't be intimidated by me saying it was hard to get balanced. If you get everything you need up front with regards to equipment, ferts, pressurized CO2 injection, and a good filter you will be in good shape. Most of the plants that I have in there I also bought over the course of about 3 weeks.

Your CO2 injection and ferts will probably be the biggest key to success, but having everything in order prior to setting it up will definately help. I didn't have everything in order because of finances and I had to buy things here and there. Thats why it was so difficult to balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loachlady5 View Post
Looks great! Hope I can get mine up to speed
Loachlady - You'll get there. I can't wait to see your tank when you do!

Filstar Pimp #106

29 Gallon Journal - XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Thumbs up

BiscuitSlayer, I know this may be late coming, but I have to say, you have one of the best looking planted tanks I have seen. Totally awesome. Excellent work! I am totally green with envy.
post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks a lot Homer! I appreciate the kind words. Where are your jounal(s)? I have been patiently waiting for you to post some.

Filstar Pimp #106

post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer View Post
Thanks a lot Homer! I appreciate the kind words. Where are your jounal(s)? I have been patiently waiting for you to post some.

You're welcome

Lol, I entered the latest monthly update for the 10 gallon anti-algae repulsion tank on December 22 2007 and and update on December 30 2007 regarding the death of a Bolivian Ram. The next update will be Jan 22 2008
http://azdhan.googlepages.com/thelostworld

The next update for my low tech maintenance tanks is due January 4 2008
I am ashamed and embarassed to post pictures as the tanks are not as beautifully scaped as yours and the stupid city I am in has a very limited selection of plants to work with so it makes aquascaping even more challenging. Besides, I am a tester not an aquascaper.
http://azdhan.googlepages.com/thelostworld2

After testing with Schultz Aquatic Soil, top soil, fluorite, mixture of fluorite and schultz aquatic soil, and Seachem Onyx Sand, mulm, peat, and leonardite combo, I wanted to see what all the hype around ADA Aquasoil was about, so I set up this 15 gallon high test tank with ADA Aquasoil II. I have not officially entered it as a test tank or set up a web page regarding the details as I wanted to see how things would turn out after a month. Many of the plants in there were from another tank I tore down. The tank was overridden.....and I mean overridden with snails...... It was so bad the snails had taken up home in the HOB filter. I did not want to throw away $60+ in plants so I soaked them in 3 days alum and water to kill the snails and snail eggs, so I don't know how they will recover. One thing that p*s*es me off is that the stupid snails survived the alum+water soak. Do you believe it. I saw some in the tank yesterday. As you can see, my HC and HM did not fare well, so I am floating some riccia right now and when I get enough, I will net it over rock and use that for carpeting.
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have read you're Lost World pages, but I wasn't totally sure that they were yours or not. I love the statue surrounded by Java fern! I'm not usually one for decorations in the tank like that, but that is cool.

Filstar Pimp #106

post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Smile

Quote:
I have read you're Lost World pages, but I wasn't totally sure that they were yours or not.
Yeah, it is a little experiment I ran. To be honest with you, it has been a good tank as far as learning goes with respect to what plants, fert dosing seems to work best with my tap water parameters and what works as far as algae goes. The water parameters have been pretty stable, and the tank can be torn down anytime to make room for another experiment. That poses a problem though as far as relocating the fish. Also, I want to keep the tank running as long as possible to see how it evolves and what else I find.

Quote:
I love the statue surrounded by Java fern! I'm not usually one for decorations in the tank like that, but that is cool.
Thanks. I know I might get flamed for posting this. But I went with the statue for a couple of reasons. (1) I did not want a tank scaped to look like everyone elses. I wanted something different, and (2) I really admire Amano's tanks and think that they are beautiful as well as those of others. The problem I have is the look kind of reminds me of a terrestrial look. Kind of like when I am driving in a rural area and see a boulder with moss growing out of it, surrounded by a bunch of stem plants. The Lost City Of Atlantis with moss covered ruins or a once thriving village civilization flooded and buried underwater is something that has more appeal to me. There is an air of mystery around such a scape, something that I don't see in a couple of neatly organized rocks and driftwood branches surrounded by stem plants and covered with moss. Sorry. Just my thoughts. But I guess, it is true what they say: beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so to each his/her own.
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Planted Member

yeah man, the statue is a great idea--different enough from those traditional junky-looking aquarium decorations that it looks unique.

it would be great to keep working on the plants to achieve more natural effect.
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
yeah man, the statue is a great idea--different enough from those traditional junky-looking aquarium decorations that it looks unique...
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
..it would be great to keep working on the plants to achieve more natural effect.
I agree and you are totally right. My aquacaping skills suck but I am working hard to improve them. Lol, got c02, Aquasoil, decent water and ferts, now if I only had some decent plants to work with, it may just not turn out too bad.
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 05:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

I haven't read the entire thread but I strongly recommend more frequent water changes, like 30% every other day, or evenly daily. Up your CO2 a bit to about 3 or 4bps, and drop that photoperiod about an hour to 7 hours, or even 6. You've been teetering on disaster for a reason, try these things out for a bit, I bet it will help you control the algae a lot better. Also, keep your ammonia below 1ppm as much as you can. Everything looks great!

You may need a little bit of a midground... lol

Last edited by CmLaracy; 01-27-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode