The Planted Tank Forum banner

My Mr. Aqua 17.1 (MMA17)

6K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  forevaufo 
#1 ·
Aquarium: Mr. Aqua "low iron" 17.1 rimless

Light: Finnex Fuge Ray Planted + 24"

Backround: Artscape "Etched Glass"

That's all for the time being, more to come!

#27 ·
More plants, first off. Not sure what to say about the hardscape... not masterful, I'd agree, but hardly ugly. Most of us have a long way to go before approaching "masterful"... ;)

I can't tell if that's anubias on the left, but if so, get the roots out of the substrate and tie it to a rock. Anubias roots feed by pulling nutrients directly from the water and don't like being buried. They'll be ok for a while, because they're super hardy, but eventually start to die.

#30 ·
Your Anubias will be fine so long as the rhizome is above the substrate. Depending on what substrate you're using you might even use a root tab under it. I've had Anubias planted in similar ways that have flourished for several years & continue to do so. That is also how many people grow Anubias while emersed too. I've got several varieties of four different Anubias species in my emersed tanks, probably 25+ individual plants, all in a substrate mixture that is mostly soil based with rhizomes just above the surface of the substrate.

Although, while submersed I usually prefer to plant them somewhere that the roots will have room to grow super long! It's one of my favorite features of these plants!

#32 ·
So I am by no means a great aquascaper, especially when it comes to rock as I've only personally done wood.

I really like your petrified wood, definitely some cool rock. With the rock in each grouping angled in on each side, like /\ /\, I feel like you lose the contrast between pieces on the same sides. I'd personally be tempted to pick and angle for each side and stick with it, like / / \ \. I think this would help the individual pieces of rock from blending into each other and kind of getting lost as individual pieces.

Just a thought. I like where this is heading.

#34 ·
I'm a fan of the petrified wood, too. Very cool stuff!

I'm no great aquascaper, either, but I've seen some cool designs that went this route, too, if you're still looking to experiment: // / \

(more assymetrical with one going in the opposite direction, essentially)

#35 ·
I like the look of the light hanging above the tank! My Mr. Aqua 17 is underneath a finnex fugeray which is laying on the rim. Now you have me thinking about adding a hanging setup for my light.
I also can't wait to see how the planted+ works for you. I'm debating about jumping to that light.

#46 ·
That's some really nice equipment! Love the way you hand the light, but is it possible to have the hangers not so high? I think it'll look nicer if the arms were lower :)

Your new rocks look really nice, my advice is to try doing the hardscape outside of the tank first, lets you play around non-stop until you find something nice.

For example:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.