The Planted Tank Forum banner

Matt's box of plants....60P Garden (now with 10G and 12 Long)

28K views 225 replies 20 participants last post by  kman 
#1 · (Edited)
Some of you followed my other thread here:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=436833

My goal was to have a high tech 60P dutch. I really could never get it worked out. Really, I have not had a great experience with high tech since my first try, that worked great, and I have been chasing the 'high tech dream' ever since.

For awhile, I had MTS (multi-tank syndrome). I found I could get some good coloration using a longer than normal photoperiod, using ferts only when needed, and leaving things alone. It's hard to get great coloration at the bottom but I will scape around color and height. The only downside is it takes longer to grow, which isn't always a bad thing. It's so much easier and I am already seeing the difference in maintenance. I am hitting the reset.

I am currently dealing with at least 3 types of algae. All are going away, just slowly. I am choosing not to deal with it and see if it passes. If not, I will nuke it as I don't have any fish.

The goal of the tank is to have something lush and attractive. I still have the CO2 hooked up but at like 6 bubbles per minute. I may experiment with using a higher level but keeping the light the same.

My basic specs are:
ADA 60P
Eheim 2215
Coralife T5NO

Another thing I may do to keep this ultra low maintenance is not have fish. That may seem strange but I didn't get into this hobby because of fish. I absolutely loved the plants and when I didn't have a home, it was such a cool idea to have an indoor garden. If I do, I will likely go with regular old guppies.

Here are the new pics. As said, it's not algae free. I also need to trim but I figured a new journal would be good for the new start.

See less See more
#4 ·
I will likely not do Otos. Shrimp, maybe. I really hope I don't need a clean up crew. Really, I may not do fish at all.

As for guppies, at first, many fish seem more appealing. They have a behavior that isn't suited to a natural style tank but they are really fun to watch. I can get some high end ones locally and I may do so. I may just end up with some Petsmart ones. We will see where that goes. I don't expect to stock in the near future but I personally feel that too many of us over look guppies and similar fish because they are common and "beginner fish". They are common, easy to deal with, and there is a reason why you can get them everywhere.

#9 ·
Yeah I see what you're saying about guppies. I felt the same way about them and bettas.. But after giving them a shot, they still have an appeal about them that's unique -- behavior, appearance, etc. Maybe just stick a really nice betta in that tank. It would be like a mansion on MTV Cribs for one lucky betta.
I like Betta's but only in a smaller tank for some reason. I am always hesitant to get a really nice Betta because the jump. I have even had 2 jump on a 10 gallon with a standard hood, with a gap only the size of a Betta. Others do not ever jump in a rimless.

That said, I love Betta's and they are super hardy. I have never had one die without jumping. Even my last one was like 4 years old before it finally jumped.

Large school Guppies are pretty awesome in a rimless tank. Especially if you get bright colors under a good light. They complete the plants nicely in the top area of the tank where there's open space. They also eat any gross bugs and crap lol
Guppies are awesome. It's a shame they don't work well in a natural style tank very well because the exhibit behavior that just doesn't fit a tranquil tank. I have to see if Hydro will replace my heater before I get fish. It failed about a month ago or so and I have yet to deal with it.

That's actually a big reason I am in no hurry to get new fish. I killed them all when the heater failed. I usually put cold water into the tank but I didn't touch the water. I failed to realize it was one of the few times a year where it was below freezing in my area and the water was fringed. By the time I noticed and put another heater in, it was way too late.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments. The tank actually looks both better and worse in the pictures. It has more color than the pictures show but it also looks more manicured than it was. I hacked it down last night which will hopefully be the last big trim I will do. The good thing about low tech is you never have to hack your tank, just trim off growth when it gets unruly. That is a major plus in densely planted tank because everything grows at a different rate so it's hard to get everything right for more than a few days. I only hacked it down because many plants have different growth characteristics than they did under higher light/co2.

#7 ·
Matt's box of plants....60P low tech garden

Large school Guppies are pretty awesome in a rimless tank. Especially if you get bright colors under a good light. They complete the plants nicely in the top area of the tank where there's open space. They also eat any gross bugs and crap lol

#10 ·
Gorgeous tank! I hope my 60P clone looks close to as nice when I start putting it together this weekend. :)

I hear you re bettas... love them! Just wish there was a reasonable way to keep them in a rimless tank. Putting a screen or even glass on a rimless kinda ruins the look...

#11 ·
Here is a quick update. Honestly, this tank grows pretty slow so my updates will be few and far between. So far, everything seems to be doing fairly good in this tank, minus the R. macrandra. No surprise there but I am going to see what happens for awhile. It's in the back left corner, not that you can tell.

I need to add to the left side. I am thinking of putting some R. wallichii there or maybe Ludwigia glandulosa. Some say it's too big in this tank but I have done it before and without too much light, it can work. The downside to it is I likely have to trim the bottoms so it doesn't branch out. I think with a little more color, I will have most of what I wanted with a high tech tank, in a lower tech tank.

I am still seeing some BGA but I think all other algae I had when high tech is gone. The BGA isn't growing, it seems to be subsiding, just not quick. Pretty good considering I haven't done anything but clean the tank since my last update, outside of a trim. No ferts or water changes (until today).

Lastly, I did start injecting CO2. I am probably at about 1/8 the level I was injecting when high tech. I am hoping it will get some more lush growth without having the need to constantly fertilize.

Here are some new pics, my camera does what it wants so they are not the best.

Btw, it's wack imageshack is no longer free, I wish they gave some notice.

#19 ·
UGLY UPDATE.

CO2 seems to be my enemy. My BGA exploded once I started injecting CO2. Well, it's really to be expected, but frustrating. This is supposed to be a tank I can neglect without issue.

I am going to just nuke the stuff with EM. Not a problem. Just figured I would post an update. The R. wallichii is new, kind of gives you the idea of the color of other plants. I actually am getting color the camera is not picking up well, not to mention covered in BGA. They are all kind of a "desaturated" version of high tech.

Lastly, I have had chronic surface scum forever with this and previous setups. I can't figure it out. I think it may be some mineral oil in my CO2 lines but it's a little crusty. It goes away with agitation but comes back. None of my other tanks have ever had this issue.

Anyway, on to the pictures. I think this should subside in about 3-5 days. After that, I will do a little trim to get it a bit more lush, even though I do need to let some things grow out.

#23 ·
I don't know, I am a master of getting BGA lately. I never got it until I move to my new house. I don't know if it's my water or the fact I am neglecting my tanks a lot more but I am the master of getting BGA. I don't get it in my nano, just my main tank. It was residual from when I switch from much higher light but once I upped the CO2, it took over. I am hoping after I nuke it, it won't come back but if it does, I will start having to do things like dose the tank regularly and all the stuff people normally do. I built this setup under the idea of neglect, I will see what happens.

What's weird about the surface scum is I had it for almost 2 years now. However, my outflow pipe has less agitation, making it worse. However, I have changed the substrate out 3 times, changed the tank with substrate and thoroughly rinsed my filter and media but did not clean everything nor bleach anything. I am hesitant to put a skimmer in because I love lily pipes but on this tank, it would only change the look of the outside (or I can cut my lily because it's Acrylic). Another thing is, again, I am hoping I can go long periods of time without worrying about the tank so I either have to turn the skimmer on and off a lot, or keep up on my water level. Yes, I have become really lazy with the hobby.

The scum didn't bother me when I was high tech because it took about a week to get bad, so I kept up on my water changes. I may get a air pump and see if that will do it for me.

#24 ·
Are you going to use maracyn ( erythromycin) to kill that BGA? For surface scum, an airstone would work. My 6g rimless used to have surface scum before I added a sponge filter. I used to hate those filters, but I'm setting up that tank for shrimp. Read that sponge is the way to go with shrimp. I discovered the side benefit of keeping the surface clear. On my 60P, I'm using an Eheim Skim 350. Works great, too. Last option I heard works is misting the surface with hydrogen peroxide. I've yet to try this method, but I heard it works. I'm actually going to try that soon on my 60F.

#25 ·
I am dosing Maracyn. I was going to try Chemiclean for fun but Maracyn is a better bang for the buck and works so I just got that. Done it before, works fine. Not sure if it will come back or not as I am not sure the cause, but lighting intensity has dropped dramatically, new fert routine (little to none) and way lower CO2 than before.

I will try the hydrogen peroxide method. If I can get away with no skimmer/airstone, I will be happy. The tank is dead silent, especially with the Besta cabinet so I would like to keep it that way.

Anyone know if hydrogen peroxide effects erythromycin? I probably should wait, just curious.

#26 ·
There are some nice guppies nearby.

Have you tried raising your outflow a bit?
There is nothing wrong with having a decent current at the surface - plants need o2, not just co2. High co2 AND o2 throughout the tank would be my goal.

Which reminds me, I need to listen to your message o_O

v3

#27 ·
The way this outflow works is that unless it's above the water line, it really just makes a small ripple. It a lot more gentle than a regular lily pipe. I wanted that because I knew I was doing a lot of stems and my last pipe would push things around like crazy. Raising it just doesn't do much.

I am basically trying to mimic my little 6 gallon if you remember that. That doesn't get much surface agitation at all, it's much less flow for the size. I figure since I have a CO2 setup, I should try that at the same time as an experiment. I was getting similar results as the 6 before I added CO2. It's an experiment, so far I am growing exceptional BGA.

I am liking no fish right now. It's strange but I only have one fish total right now. However, where are these guppies? Are they yours or is there something in the hood I don't know about?

#28 ·
The guppies are mine and in large quantities. Some pretty nice colors too. All you can fish. There are pluses and minuses to having a tank with fish - to each it's own.

I used food dye to play with flow but even an old dog can learn new tricks. I learned a lot of them from people at TPT: next time you dose traces, dump them right in front of the outflow and watch how they get spread around the tank.

Heavy surface film kills your gas exchange. The plants are slowly simmering in their own soup.

v3

#31 ·
I know that killing BGA with EM has been well documented before, I have done it a few times myself but I figured I would show a bit of the differences. I think I am at the 4 day point, I have done no water changes or anything. Dosing two packets per day.

On another note, I am thinking about swapping out the carpet. I was hoping that the E. tenellus would grow shorter in less light but it is seemingly growing the same height if not taller. Opposite of my experience in my low light nano. Not sure what I am going to do, I am doubting I have enough light for HC, I have never had luck with Glosso, and though I like DHG belem, I don't know if it will be the right look. Another option is HM, the problem is that it looks really bad for about a week after you trim. Can shape it in cool ways though.

Here it is in my old 29 gallon:

Here are the updates:

#33 ·
Yeah, the BGA really took off once I added CO2. Even at a teal green on my drop checker, it just exploded.

So, I tried to find some plants today. I went in search for Ludwigia glandulosa but no luck. I should have just gone to Albany on my way home but I was tired. My friend was looking for corals so I didn't go to my spot.

I think Ludwigia glandulosa on the left side corner, HM or whatever foreground I choose, and some hygrophila compacta or similar to fill out the middle left and I may be pretty much done.

I also have the RGB LED's from the last try if anyone remembers. My light was too high then to mount them over the tank and have any noticeable effect. Now I can mount them above and get a cool effect but need to find a way to make the look good.

#35 ·
Thanks, that was my first tank. I feel like I shot myself in the foot first try because that came out so well and was easy.

I am not dosing the same as my 29 on this, I am dosing the same as I have since I went low tech on this tank which is about one day of EI per 2 weeks.

On that note, just did a kind of major trim and moved a few things around. I was going to let this go really "jungly" before a trim but after looking at my 29 journal, I am remembering how I got things to look a certain way.

I am now thinking about adding fish. I need to contact Hydro to see if they will replace my failed inline. I don't have a box or receipt so who knows what will happen. I want another but I am thinking about really simplifying this and taking out my heater, and my UV. Just a filter and lily's may be my next thing, throw a in tank in when need be.

#37 ·
I just put pictures of my old 29 gallon to make myself feel like I know something about this hobby haha. My and my mentor (OVT) talked about how it lacks any mid ground, one thing I really want to add in the 60P. One thing about that tank, I was not only eager to succeed, I also could baby sit it. Though I didn't have major problems until the end (2+ years after I started it), I didn't have the responsibility I have now, one reason I am not trying to go too far.

One thing I just noticed that is meaningful to me. Some people on the board, who do really well, will attribute every single problem to CO2. I see my drop check not in the yellow, which has negatively affected my experience with fish, and realize, CO2 just may be something I need to reconsider. I am liking my results at a low level, maybe just up it to a reasonable level and adjust everything around it, rather than get the highest level I possibly can. Sorry, had a few, thinking out loud.

I just emailed Hydor, hoping they replace my heater under warranty. Only reason they may not is I have absolutely no record of purchase, which is reasonable on their side. Don't even have the box. Once I get an idea of that, I have decided to add fish, either way. I have a heaters and I can disguise an in tank, there were two in my 29.

#38 ·
I had a slow day today, decided to clean up a bit. I am really trying to figure out exactly where to go, as soon as I get back into this, I always want to change things around. I have to send my heater out to Hydor so I decided, I am going to de-tech my tank fully. I want to get rid of my insanely long inline setup. I am going to ditch the heater and my UV for now.

On one side, it will be high tech/high end...ADA, lily's, Eheim, CO2, Aquasoil. On the flipside, it will be low tech, low end, low light, heater less, low ferts, etc. I have talked about doing something like this for awhile. I am hoping to have little maintenance in the tank, but also with the filter, short hoses, easy disconnection, etc.

I also feel like more people should post up post trim pictures. My tank got a serious hair cut the other day. I am hoping this is where it starts to get manicured.

#40 ·
Yup, actually, did a light spray of H2O2, but I was concerned since I was dosing EM. Even that one little spray has cured the whole thing, at least for the time being.

Funny enough, it kind of pisses me off because I have had it for like 4-5 years. I think because every time I started a new setup, I wanted to keep the filter seeded. I have tried many things, a skimmer, a HOB, manually removing with a paper towel, always came back pretty quick if I changed things up. One spray and it's been going good for almost a week with no signs of return. I am keeping a spray bottle in my stand if it returns.

I am actually wondering how much it contributed to my high tech issues. I have so much more movement at the top of the tank now. I am thinking that it may have caused some decay of the plants, which caused BGA, which caused growth issues. I don't really know.

I know you were thinking about giving this a shot. One spray and mine was done. Highly recommended and cheaper than a skimmer.

#41 ·
Yeah I was actually going to tell you that I finally tried the h2o2 spray. Sprayed three of my tanks and the next day the scum was gone. I was actually surprised because I was skeptical at first. I also tried the paper towel method years ago -- h2o2 is so much easier. Can't believe the solution was a simple h2o2 spritz.

#43 ·
So... Is it simply straight up Walgreens hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle, spray lightly and call it good?

I can imagine a small amount would definitely have zero impact on the tank, since a good bit more is used for the one-two punch algae control technique, which is safe for most inhabitants (a couple of warnings, but again, much higher dose, I'd think).

#45 ·
Exactly what I did. Honestly, I sprayed just a touch because, again, since I was dosing Maracyn (EM), I wasn't sure if Hydrogen Peroxide would have any effect. If I had to guess, it would say it was about 0.5-1 ML. Given the fact that most people consider 17ML up to even 51 ML is a safe dose, I was really surprised.

I guess my point is, I would not only consider this very safe, it also would have been back where it used to be at this point and there is nothing. It also worked very fast, 90% of it was gone in minutes.

On top of that, mine got so bad after many years that surface agitation really didn't do the trick anymore so even with my pipe above the water line, I still wasn't making progress. I have tried skimmers/HOB's in the past in a day or two after I took them off, the stuff started coming back. I never have had surface scum on any other tank so I am really happy Brian brought this suggestion up because I had been fighting, gave up, and can now see some of my plants really perking up. That also may be due to the BGA going away but the BGA has been on and off, not constant where the scum was constant.

Anyway, highly recommended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.