I think it's about time I started a tank journal here.
I'll try to keep a current pic here, and update throughout the thread.
Older pics from February:
This is my tank at the office (just a little while back; I've made a few changes since this was taken):
It's gone through a number of contortions to get where it is today, but I'll try to recap.
Here's the current lineup:
Stock filter (output throttled down via small sponge piece in outflow sprayer)
Cobalt NeoTherm 25w adjustable heater
(78 degrees... just barely fits in the back compartment!)
Slate "terrace" divider
Small red rock, stratified
Dwarf Hair Grass (Eleocharis acicularis) (front right)
Anubias Nana (Anubias barteri v. 'Nana'
) (back right)
Crypt Parva (Cryptocoryne parva
) (front left)
Java Fern "Narrow Leaf" (Microsorium pteropus
) (back left)
Duckweed (Lemna minor
Dragonscale Crowntail Betta fish (Betta splendens
Zebra Nerite Snail (Neritina natalensis
Red-spotted Nerite Snail (Neritina natalensis
Seachem Flourish Excel
I started out with the Eco Complete from the beginning. If I re-do the tank at some point, I want to switch to Activ-Flora, which is darker (and ALL black), smaller and denser, so it seems like it holds roots a little better.
The Manzanita is new, as I started off with a small piece of Mopani (from PetCo), which moved to my other tank when I got the Manzanita branch from a local guy here on TPT, which I prefer.
I started off with the Java fern, funny enough, but got rid of it because at the time it was just barely visible behind the relatively large Mopani wood I had in the tank, so I moved it to my other tank (the same one the wood later went to). Once I got the more slender Manzanita, the back corner seemed empty again, so I picked up another Java Fern fro the same spot, along with a little piece of volcanic rock to tie it to.
The other three plants (DHG, Anubias and Crypt) have been here since I started the tank.
I only recently started added Excel, I hope that helps my Crypt a bit, which seems to be struggling a bit for some reason.
Originally, I had different fauna while I was starting the tank off, and before I got my Betta, Smaug. I started off with just a Golden Mystery snail along with one Zebra Nerite snail, but the GMS just seemed a little too big for the tank, so I swapped him into my bigger tank, and took another Nerite (the red spotted nerite) in exchange. I also had a couple of Neon Tetras to help with cycling the tank, but they all lived, and later I got tired of my pig of a betta eating all their food before it could float down to them. (resulting him being overfed, and them being underfed!) Back to the bigger tank they went! Finally, I had a few Ghost Shrimp in there just for fun. I'm not sure exactly what happened, either the Betta got annoyed and decided to eat one of them, or it died another way. We had a major heat wave at the time, coinciding with a holiday plus me being sick, so I was out of the office for a few days. I know it was REALLY hot in our suite over the weekend, with the AC off for the holidays and no one working after hours (which usually is the case). The betta was fine with the higher temps, but the shrimp didn't fare as well, and they all died. C'est la vie. I MAY try out a couple of ghost shrimp again at some point, or I may leave well enough alone. Haven't decided yet.
Here's a photo from the earlier days of the tank, with the original driftwood and inhabitants. (funny how little duckweed there is!)
I think that brings us current. The tank seems to be doing nicely, overall, although again the Crypt could look a little healthier. I've had to remove duckweed twice, which was getting so thick it was blocking the light. Fortunately I have a secretary with large hungry goldfish at home, and they love the duckweed as a tasty healthy treat, so win-win! I trimmed the DHG once, and it's looking a little wild so I might trim it again soon. Here's hoping things stay nice and stable!