I was given 8 or so Malaysian Trumpet snails from a friend in late July.
I thought they would be good to keep the substrate aerated...
Bad plan! Now I am overrun with them!
Fast forward to November 7th or so.
I ordered a 56 LED Cree 6 channel controller kit from Aquastyleonline.
On Ray's recommendation, I added 7 660 nm red, and 7 violet 420nm with boards.
The 56 Cree were 35 white 6500K, 14 white 4500K, 7 warm white 3000K.
All LED were sent with 80 degree optics.
For heatsinks, and fans, I opted to go with four of Steve's LEDs 1 1/4" aluminum square tubing 60" long,
and two of his pressured cooling fans.
Ray from Aquastyleonline recommended four rows of lights with 3" LED spacing.
Here is a screenshot of my design layout done using Coreldraw,
Corel wouldn't let me save this as a jpeg, so this will have to do.
I also added a fan driver (CH.5) and 4 Bridgelux 10,000K LEDs (Ch. 6) for moonlights.
Channel 6 is non dimmable, so I had to figure a way to diffuse them, as I knew they would be way too bright.
I laid my four rows into position, and riveted them into position, onto 3 pieces of aluminum flat strap. LEDs were glued into position.
The printout was handy to make sure + and - were laid out correctly, and wiring was correct.
My Corel template was great for cutting my "Y" pieces for the cooling fans.
My friend Chad was set up at his place, to weld aluminum, so we got 'er done!
Here wiring is being soldered, and kitchen table mockup! You can see the 12 Meanwell driver boards, and 350 watt power supply.
The kit came with 2 meters of aluminum wire, that was enough to solder the LEDs together. I needed about another 130 feet!
Someone on one of the forums was having a cow about having a hard time sourcing aluminum wire for these kits.
I don't know why you would have to use aluminum, but I found an easy solution. I needed a lighter gauge anyway,
so I bought a few rolls of 18 ga. speaker wire, and just stripped off the negative (aluminum wire)
NASA, we have ignition! No lenses attached yet.
Here are the fans, and voltage regulators mounted.
So, right in the middle of building this, I get a "Posterior apistaxis".
Two days in the emergency room, huge catheter jammed up my nose (and inflated), and missed 3 days of work.
Seemed like every time I sat down to work on this, my nose would start to bleed... bad! So, I finally get this thing installed on December 7th.
Lenses are only installed on the "white" lights.
Power supply and box for drivers.
Here it is, mounted on the tank. I was bothered by the fact, the lights would be mounted towards the back of the aquarium,
so I installed the assembly on modified drawer slides, so the light can be centered over the tank.
I can also, slide them all the way to the back for aquarium maintenance access. These lights are incredible!
The color is superb! I am seeing increased plant growth already.
Channels 1-4 have a sunrise/sunset mode, The first and last half 1/2 hour, they ramp up from 0% to 100%, and back down at sunset.
Maximum brightness can be set, where ever you want it, and different start/stop times can be set on all channels.
Upon first running these lights, I had dead spots on the ends. I removed the lenses on the outermost lights, and problem solved!
I decided to adapt the lenses for my Bridgelux "moonlights", and applied two coats of Smoke lens tint paint (for car tail light lenses, etc.).
It was still too bright, and had a spot lighting effect. I ended up using clear drinking water bottle caps, sprayed with four coats of lens tint paint.
It looks pretty good now, but could still be a little darker.
Happy New Year!