The Planted Tank Forum banner

40b Journal.... new pics 2-26-13.... HC gone!

18K views 87 replies 29 participants last post by  zetvi 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my first journal. Take it easy on me.

Sorry for the crappy pics. Lets get started.

Filtration:
CFS 700 (its on the other side of the wall..)

Lighting:
2x - Build my led.com black 36inch Dutch style --still gotta hang it

Heater:
None

Co2 diffusion:
20inch house filter

Fauna:
albino bristlenose x1 (will add more soon)
SAE(temporary)
Shrimp will come soon
schooling fish will come when im close to satisfied with the scape

Flora:
Everchanging ;)

Some of those crappy pics - rocks will be removed once wood is good to go

DAY 1 right after planting

I realize that this is planted tightly.. i did this because of the holidays and we always do christmas eve dinner so i want it fairly full.. some plants will be removed/thinned out.

There will also be ALOT of pruning on this tank.. Alot of topping and replanting the tops

See less See more
#11 ·
Nice to finally see a journal of one of your tanks Sean. I already knew that you are good at growing plants now it's time to see your scaping skills(no pressure:hihi:). What's the plant in the back right corner, L. arcuata? I will be following along to see the evolution.

#12 ·
Yup thats arcuata.. just waiting on the stupid wood to stay put then I can pull them big ole rocks out and finish planting.... still trying to decide on what plant to use in the row where the rocks are... thought about cuphea but I think it does better with keeping its roots intact rather than topping and replanting...got a few weeks to think about it

#16 ·
I'm diggin the layers sjb! Once that foreground fills in a littler more and you get some height on the stems, you are gonna have quite the scape. I like the driftwood branches mixed in though, It'll make for a unique scape that has a few aspects of dutch planting, but with a little natural pazzazz. (Yes I just used the word pazzazz).
Joshua

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks guys

I liked how mr. Barr used his manzy for layers... im trying to keep it different but same concept

I may remove the browni red patch thats above the r. mexicana goais...I dont think its gonna look right after its filled in.. im not even sure if im gonna be able to get the goais a red enough color that I want

I can't use any large leaf plants in here so im limited on what I can use.

I do like the arcuata but its a fast grower and can get very bushy so my trimming on it will have to be trimmed correctly so itll look purty when everything else is in its prime...

I need to hoare about 20 or so more trithuria sp. and then it should fill in nicely

#18 ·
Im new to leds so i need some advice.. i have 2 fixtures one is 90 beam angle the other is 75 beam angle.. shouldnt i have the 75 in the back since its more concentrated light in a smaller area where as the 90 is more spread out?.. i would want more light on my stems than in the foreground

#19 · (Edited)
not much to update.. removed some of the b.japonica because it was turning too red from the lights.. put b. sp japan its place... ill remove the rest of the b.japonica once i get some more plants to fill in..

trying to decide if i want to continue the blood vomit on around to where the b.japonica is now or if that will just be too much..

Im going to remove some of these plants and replace with smaller leafed plants... pantanal is probably gonna go..same with the r. mac variegated.. i think the L. sp Red is too big of a leaf but it has such a deep red color its hard not to use it

ohh also hung the leds.. now im not so afraid to bump them into the tank...plus i have better spread front to back.. ill remove the brackets in the spring and paint them black

Day 7

#23 ·
EI

Some reason some of my pantanal tips are all screwed up.. not sure if its the aquasoil or what.. they came from my farm tank so maybe this tank has much different conditions and its just gonna take an adjustment period. . Might have to promote side shoots then use the side shoots and throw the originals away

#26 ·
Yuhoo..
Finally you started a journal. Great to see some wonderful plants in there.
Light's perfect for the setup.
What a beauty would it be once all grown and trimmed. Please keep that blood vomit carpet.
I am telling you that would be the most robust and maintenance free carpet ever. I'd say try to cover the front rock partially with some plant. It's a bit distracting right now. And please keep some space for the lil plants that I am going to send ;)

#27 ·
got your calendar.. such great pics.. even the wife liked them...its on the fridge already haha

yea that rock aint staying..just there till the wood stays put..hopefully any week now..probably should have went with manzanita but oh well

got a wee little stem of ramasoir florida.. such a pretty plant.. its a small leaf plant and has a nice purple color... i plan to use it in the vacant row to the right

weekly pics will be up sunday after WC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.