Here is my Journal on my first planted tank. I have been at this for about 6 months, I am learning alot from "The Planted Tank" and help from friends.
Here is what I have going on titled "Freshwater for the Kids! Build"
To get you caught up the speed, I have learned what not to do and what I like. If you are down for a read please click on the link above and you can see my progress but I will post my most recent post so you can see where I am now.
I am in the market to find more Otos I was looking for about 10 more because I have 4 at the moment, they are great little algae eaters. But to kick the Green Spot Algae that I have I don't know what is best... Neritina sp. zebra snail? I will be getting two German Blue Rams and I have one Anglefish I am not sure the snails would survive! No to Amano Shrimp because the GBR and Anglefish will make them an expensive meal.
So here is a picture of my tank 2 weeks ago:
And here is a pic of my tank today:
Notice a couple of things...
1. I made a new overflow w/ pvc, it is 5/8" and has about very small holes to give it good pressure. I don't like the flow of my Eheim's 2217, might buy a FX5 or FX6 later if the price is right.
2. I have some frogbit floating, maybe about 8-10 different shoots. This is growing fairly well, I get a new leaf on each one everyday.
3. I have 4 different Sagittaria, I am hoping they will break up the foreground and midground.
4. I wanted to try out a Dwarf Lily, I don't know if it is going to work. I has already melted within the first 2 days in the tank.
5. I had to do some trimming on the Water wisteria because the leaves were not growing under the tops. I thought of it like an umbrella and the light was not penetrating the middle and bottom of the stem. (See picture)
6. I am monitoring the HC, but I don't think it is doing well. It is really starting the thin out I can't tell if it is from fish or poor setup.
7. I am still fighting Green Spot Algea so I have decreased the lighting to below 50% and cut the lights back to 7 hrs a day. I am sure I will have to bring it down to 4 or 5hrs a day.
So here are all my notes that I have going on
GH: 3 drops
KH: 2 drops
Temp: 80 degree
I am EI dosing 3xweek (K2S04, KN03, KH2P04) and adding MetriCide 14 10mL every morning before I run off to work.
As for my BML lights my PAR is 75degree @ 24", 85 - 80 - 70
Max PAR value I would have to say is the 12" mark on 75degree.
I know this is alot of information but any help would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking the response is going to be lower the light duration to knockout the GSA. But after that I would love some help on making the plants fill out and stay full.
All in all I am really getting the bug again. Hope you enjoy my journal and I look forward to talk and learning from everyone.