13G (tall) Shrimp Breeding Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

13G (tall) Shrimp Breeding Tank

Decided to get into trying my hand at shrimp breeding. Then with black friday, the local PetCo was running a special on this 13 Gallon tall tank that looked like it would be a good start.

Specs:
13 Gallon (24x8x16) wide and tall
Aqueon powerflow 10 HOB (will wrap a sponge around intake)
1 Purigen bag to put in the HOB
LED lights incorporated into the hood
Heater

Planning on putting down some Aquasoil (or similar), and a few plants to let it cycle, maybe throw in some of my snails that I have as feeder to my dwarf puffer in my planted tank. Just got my water test kits from Amazon, so will test the water as it goes in and wait for the cycle.

Thinking of putting in some Red Cherry and maybe a few CRS as I understand they won't interbreed.

So one question... do you guys think the powerflow 10 is too weak for such a tall tank? it seems the inlet is so high, I'm not sure how much water flow I'll get. I have a small AZoo pump that I can throw in to move the water around, so maybe I can put it in and point it downward?

Here is a pic after just a quick rinse (waiting for the soil)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131203_144748.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	242601  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 11:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think that filter is rated 10-20g. However, this is a new tank design so i think you will have to experiment.
I've seen these tanks at Petco and I'm really interested in what you do with it!
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, seems like the same one you used in your 10G shrimp build. I was wondering if the purigen bag would fit in the HOB, but I like what you did with a spong there also. May I'll do something like that. I take it you are not using the cartridge that came with the HOB?

BTW.. did you ever get the sponge filters? I was thinking of ordering a sponge filter and replace the tube of the HOB with that, but not sure if that would work well, not sure the HOB is strong enough to suck through a bigger sponge
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, got some water testing done. I have a water softener in the house, so tested both inside and outside water.

Outside (non-softened) water
GH = 8
KH = 1
PH = ~7.6-7.8

Inside (softened) water
GH = 5 or 6
KH = 1
PH = 7.6-7.8

Is my KH too low for Cherry's and Chrystals? I assume my PH will come down a little with some aquasoil.

thanks guys!
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 01:21 AM
Algae Grower

I use RO water in my shrimp tank; so you can imagine the water is very soft and the Cherries breed just fine. And I've never breed CRS before but I've read they like acidic water anyways
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have RO water that I can use as well, but it doesn't seem that much different than my softened water. the GH test was difficult to read, somewhere between 3 and 4 drops, but for my outside tap, the GH is 7-8 and very noticable change in color.

The PH from the RO water is a little lower than regular tap, it's like 7.4.

I guess I will try maybe 2/3 outside tap and 1/3 RO water to start and see what readings I get.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, Filled the tank, put some cuttings in from my other tank and did my first in tank water test. Used about 3 gal of water taken from my established tank, unfortunately, I don't have any filter material to spare to jumpstart the other tank

Here is what I'm reading from the water test

PH = 6.8
Ammonia = ~1ppm
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 20ppm

KH = 1 drop
GH = 6 drop

I don't have a TDS meter yet, but will look for one on amazon.

I am assuming the ammonia is coming from the soil as I don't have anything else in it yet. Nitrate is probably from established tank. Maybe I should not have used the water from there?

Not sure how well the heater works, will have to monitor the temp to see at what point it stabilizes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20131208_211948.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	244545  

Name:	20131208_213440.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	244553  

post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, more questions if anyone can help.... This is day 3 after the tank has been filled, and amonia and nitrates are still up there.

I have a pillow of purgien that I was going to put into the HOB after the tank gets going. Figured it would be better to watch the parameters of the cycle first, before introducing the purgien. however, is it better to put it in now while the tank is cycling? I would have to remove the HOB included filter in order to do it, so thinking the bacteria on the filter would get removed when I take it out. but I still have the intake sponge and also put a sponge in the small chamber in the HOB, so hopefully, those still have enough bacteria?

Also, at the begining of a cycle, is it a good idea to put snails in? I have some snails that I'm holding for my dwarf puffer in a separate bowl, so can easily transfer to the tank if it will help it to cycle at all or even if it doesn't hurt, would like to consolidate and not have that small snail tank.

thoughts?
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

Save the purigen for when you have the shrimp in the tank. let everything cycle and stabilize first. also might want to throw some more plants in there. some kind of moss is a great resource for shrimp.

The filter is fine for a shrimp only tank, have you tried a Fluval Edge sponge to cover the intake? they are super cheap @ most pet stores and fit most small HOB filters.
also consider adding an air powered sponge filter to the mix. another source of great microbes for the shrimp to enjoy.

here is a great resource for shrimp water parameters.
http://shrimpkeeping.com/water-params/

you are off to a good start. take your time. let things cycle before adding shrimp.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Subscribed.

Good luck with breeding, I want to get into it myself in the near future. Hopefully I can learn a few things from your experiences!

So, I guess... Thanks lol
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Bostoneric and discoveringmypath,

funny thing you mention the fluval edge sponge, I just installed that on this tank and my other main planted tank since I started seeing baby shrimp in my main tank. I don't think the little ones will survive in main tank since there are so many fish, but figured I would up the chance by putting a spone on the intake on my main as well.

I'll hold off on the purgien (thanks for that tip), but since I was putting it the other tank, I pulled some ceramic tubes from my main filter and put it in this shrimp tank HOB. Hopefully, that will jumpstart the cycle a little better.

I'm looking for some moss and plants to add... ideally, moss on driftwood sounds like a plan, but I gotta find some. If anyone in the San Jose, CA are has some spare driftwood, I would be interested..

I'm getting a little worried, the tests have all been about the same for the last 3 days..

Ammonia = ~1
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 20ppm

how quickly should things be changing. I thought the soil would be leaching more ammonia, but it seems like it's not going up.

Should I add some snails?

thanks for the advice guys!
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got some wood and Moss and did a little rearranging while waiting for cycle to complete... Tell me what you think..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1387003788987.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	246337  

post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Recent water test after all the wood and Moss.. Looks like nitrites are up to 2ppm and nitrates are at
20ppm and ammonia at 0.5ppm. Will be doing a water change tomorrow..

post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm curious what's your tanks temp because shrimp do just fine without a heater. I keep my tank at 70-72 and they do much better. I use to keep it at 75+and had a bacterial out break when I first started, but now it's perfect at the cooler temp.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode