The Planted Tank Forum banner

Re-birth of a 10g shrimp tank

6K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  thelub 
#1 · (Edited)
Earlier this year I set up a 10g tank for some PFR culls I got from a member here. Over time the numbers slowly dwindled and they all finally died. I think it was mostly due to hardness and water quality issues. Needless to say I broke it down and put it aside.

Later I de-rimmed it and tore it down because I thought part of the reason why everything died was possibly due in part to the fact that the previous owner kept baby birds in it and something funky might have got into the silicone that was holding it together. Plus it gave me a good excuse to de-rim it (like I need one ;) ).

I kind of set this up in a rush due to getting a bunch of *cherry reds for free from my LFS. They came in with a shipment from a cory breeder and the shrimp had multiplied out of control. My buddy who owns the LFS didn't want to deal with the shrimp and knew I wanted some so he gave them to me. I'm guessing there are 30 or so shrimp of all different maturity levels. There's even a big one that came in the mix that I'm not convinced is a cherry.

It started out something like this:

And was turned into this:

Start of substrate. I just went with plain sand. Didn't have time to set up a dirt substrate or anything else. I just put some azomite under the sand and I'm going to drop in some low tech plants for now. They should be OK.

Black petco sand in front, PFS sand in the back (didn't have enough of either to do all of one kind)

Not much for a hardscape right now. I just dropped in some lava rock I had laying around. I think it looks OK. I'm going to keep my eye out for a nice branchy drift wood or some nice stones to complete the scape.

And some random shots from around the tank. Yes I did put the shrimp in right away. I had a sponge that I had been using as a water polisher in my main tank that was full of BB so I don't really need to worry about a cycle.

Plants consist right now of a small stem of sunset hygro, java fern, jungle val and DHG.

And this, but I forgot the name.

Here's the giant shrimp that I don't believe is a regular cherry. Silly thing wouldn't sit still for a second to get a decent picture of it so this is the best I could do.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
More shots:

Better FTS

blood worms nom nom

With as many saddles that I'm seeing I think I'll be experiencing a shrimpy explosion soon

They loved the aged sponge filter

Little tiny baby

And some pictures of the big mamma that is roaming the tank. She looks different than all the others and I'm wondering if its something other than a crystal red? Almost looks like a PFR but she's way bigger than my other PFR's ever got.

#22 ·
Big bump on this thread - ... are you still keeping these shrimp? Are they breeding for you? I'm considering a desktop tank for work with shrimp and Heterandria formosa. 105 watt 6000K CF light. I've never kept shrimp before -- I'm in the Tri-Cities and I believe you are close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.