My 90 Gallon Dream Tank Build - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Youll love the bmls... I have 2 on my 40b and really have come to like them...tbh I didn't at first but I gave it time

Ready to see some plants in this tub...I know yall got slammed with ice..hopefully it has started to melt

Last edited by sjb1987; 12-11-2013 at 01:32 AM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
I posted a pic of what my cabinet innards look like in your thread about tubing. i've tried moving things around a little, but there's no room for 1L fert bottles. I think i'll get a side table with a door and put them all in there.
Yeah that should work fine. If you don't mind it not being hidden.
post #33 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb1987 View Post
Youll love the bmls... I have 2 on my 40b and really have come to like them...tbh I didn't at first but I gave it time

Ready to see some plants in this tub...I know yall got slammed with ice..hopefully it has started to melt
I just saw UPS is suppose to deliver them tomorrow. 4 days to go 3 hours WOW...LoL If I knew they were going to do that and I could have gotten out of Dallas I would have picked them up myself. I can make that trip there and back in half a day. UPS you never seem to amaze me. I have things for my daughters nano reef tank which has been sitting at the hub in my city since last week which still hasn't made it out yet. But yes, I am ready to check out these lights. I will be keeping an eye on the plants, they should be here tomorrow. They didn't come in today but I am not in a huge hurry now after what I learned today. How is things up there? All the power coming back and yall thawing out?

So some bad news on this build which I am really bummed about. The place that is making my tank just made it yesterday. I am seriously pissed off about this since it was ordered several weeks ago and I pick it up this Sunday. They could have made this when I ordered it weeks ago. Reason I am pissed is it has to cure for at least 3 weeks or it will blow out. Like I said, they could have made it weeks ago so it could be curing and ready to go when I got it. So unfortunately this won't be up and going by Christmas as planned. I do have a lot of friends that work in some specialty shops who I have reached out to in hopes they have a 90G long they could trade with me or offer credit towards one that is already cured and ready to go. So hopefully all is not lost because I was really ready to get this build going this weekend. At worse case it will be mid January before it goes up. It really sucks because I just placed a huge plant order for the rest of my plants for this build that will be here next Wednesday. So I need to call the guy and see if he can hold onto them for a couple weeks. Also have fish ordered on delayed ship as well so I will need to delay that as well.

Other than that the only updates is the two 10K BML fixtures come tomorrow and I got my Aquamedic CO2 reactor and the clear PVC to make my DIY spray bar. I guess if anything the extra time will give me time to perfect some things and planning. I can test the doser and BML fixtures out on the 55G in the meantime.
post #34 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 03:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
I just saw UPS is suppose to deliver them tomorrow. 4 days to go 3 hours WOW...LoL If I knew they were going to do that and I could have gotten out of Dallas I would have picked them up myself. I can make that trip there and back in half a day. UPS you never seem to amaze me. I have things for my daughters nano reef tank which has been sitting at the hub in my city since last week which still hasn't made it out yet. But yes, I am ready to check out these lights. I will be keeping an eye on the plants, they should be here tomorrow. They didn't come in today but I am not in a huge hurry now after what I learned today. How is things up there? All the power coming back and yall thawing out?

So some bad news on this build which I am really bummed about. The place that is making my tank just made it yesterday. I am seriously pissed off about this since it was ordered several weeks ago and I pick it up this Sunday. They could have made this when I ordered it weeks ago. Reason I am pissed is it has to cure for at least 3 weeks or it will blow out. Like I said, they could have made it weeks ago so it could be curing and ready to go when I got it. So unfortunately this won't be up and going by Christmas as planned. I do have a lot of friends that work in some specialty shops who I have reached out to in hopes they have a 90G long they could trade with me or offer credit towards one that is already cured and ready to go. So hopefully all is not lost because I was really ready to get this build going this weekend. At worse case it will be mid January before it goes up. It really sucks because I just placed a huge plant order for the rest of my plants for this build that will be here next Wednesday. So I need to call the guy and see if he can hold onto them for a couple weeks. Also have fish ordered on delayed ship as well so I will need to delay that as well.

Other than that the only updates is the two 10K BML fixtures come tomorrow and I got my Aquamedic CO2 reactor and the clear PVC to make my DIY spray bar. I guess if anything the extra time will give me time to perfect some things and planning. I can test the doser and BML fixtures out on the 55G in the meantime.

Most the power is back on here....

Man that sucks about the tank.. what style of aquascape are you going with...you might have already mentioned it
post #35 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't know if I can really describe it or if it has a name. I put together a small page with a list of the plants I am going to use just so I could get an overhead view and keep track of things. The list on this page is what I am using. There is one that I need to remove and replace with a different one. This picture at the top is generally the look I am going for but will a little more variety.

http://aquariums.mesquiteweather.net/flora.php
post #36 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So getting closer to getting this set up. I finally got my BMLs and I love them. Unfortunately they don't fit on the tank with the canopy on. So BML is shipping me some custom fixtures that will fit with the canopy on. Since the tank was just built last week I can add water until after Jan 1st so that is no big deal.

In the meantime I have been getting all my last min equipment together and ordered the majority of my plants which will be in after the first. I have finished up the stand and canopy. Got all the trim done and just need to do some touch up with some wood filler and sanding and then it will be read to stain. One of the pics has a sample of the color on it. My wife isn't to happy I have torn up the formally living room but it is waaaay to cold to be working in the garage even with the heater on...LoL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131216_140509.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	247865  

Name:	20131216_202613.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	247873  

Name:	20131216_223103.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	247881  

Name:	20131217_104226.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	247889  

post #37 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 05:23 PM
AHP
Algae Grower

Hey if it helps the stand looks good!

Sorry about the tank. Same thing happened to me a long time ago.
I canceled the order a week after they built it 4 weeks late. They said I would have to eat the cost and I told them... They could start eating the cost first because they were 4 weeks behind. Long story short they apologized and gave me a discount on the tank seeing how it wasn't my fault and I was going to take my business elsewhere.

Funny... If walked up to the president of my company and said I can’t do what you asked in a reasonable amount of time. I would be out of a job!
post #38 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Algae Grower

Great job on the stand!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
post #39 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHP View Post
Funny... If walked up to the president of my company and said I can’t do what you asked in a reasonable amount of time. I would be out of a job!
Hahaha! No doubt! I also doubt you would give them a price break ether!

What frustrates me is they are like yeah we have that tank in stock so shouldn't be a problem. Then come to find out they don't and have to build it. When they had the order for a month. Not sure why they wanted till a few days before delivery date. Oh well, it is what it is. Gives me some extra time to get some things today.

Thanks FishFinatic, had to add a little Texas flare with the stars. Excited to see how it looks all stained.

Last edited by Texan78; 12-17-2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: typo
post #40 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just a quick update. Things are still moving along and starting to prep things and move over some things slowly from the 55G and mounting them in the 90G stand. I have got the stand finished staining and have a 24" LED light strip mounted above the door on the inside. Since I am running the Apex the light will come on automatically when the door is removed and I will be able to arm it with an alarm and it will sound an audible alert as well as email me to let me know there was an intrusion. So just one of the cool little features about it Just need to add a poly coat and touch up some things here at there on it on the door and it will be done. Then I can move on to the canopy and finishing it up and getting it stained. Then hopefully by the time that is done I can move the tank in and get the background painted and by that time it will be ready to break down the 55G and move the 90G into place. I am still waiting on some things I have ordered and UPS is taking their sweet time and with the holidays it isn't making things better. If all goes well I hope to be ready to start tearing down the 55G and putting the 90G in place ready for the plants to arrive on Jan 3rd.

Here is a look at the stand stained with 2 coats ready for poly. Will post more pics as things progress. Hopefully things start moving more quickly next week. I am really excited to see how this is all going to look. Things are coming together nicely but, slowly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20131221_230909.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	249577  

Name:	20131221_180642.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	249585  

post #41 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #42 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got some progress made and now just at a waiting stage for the tank to cure and to receive some packages to finish things out. Stand has been poly coat now and looks great in person. Camera doesn't do it justice.

I have my Aquamedica 1000 CO2 reactor, Hydor Inline heater and Coralife Turbo-twist 6X mounted. I have the lamp out of the UV because one of the clips broke and the transformer adds extra weight. So I took it off so I could get things mounted up and take the weight off the one clip. I have more clips ordered and should be here by next weekend and that will help support it better and hold it flush and level. The output of the Fluval 406 which I am making a custom holder for it will sit to the left of this and connect to the top of the reactor. The UV will go out to the return which will be hard plumbed with a quick connect and some ball valves so I can do water changes. More on this system and that later.

If you notice in the pictures there is a hole with a black grommet. That is where the CO2 will come in from the tank. All the lines will run behind the stand and all the holes will be trimmed with those grommets. This will be for a cleaner and uncluttered look in the stand. Also all the power will run out the back of the stand and feed back in from the back to the Apex EB8's. That probably doesn't make sense but when I get it moved over from the 55G and hooked up it will make sense and look really sharp I think. Also there is a picture of the LED light I have mounted in the stand that will come on automatically when the door is removed via the Apex. Excuse the mess. I have quite the disaster going on right now.

Oh btw, I did the Aquamedic reactor mod done in this video. It is suppose to create for better concentration and better flow. There are two barbs on this reactor to accept 1/2" and 5/8" ID hoses. By cutting off the top 1/2" barb it opens things up as shown in the video. Also removed the balls for better concentration and less noise. If it doesn't help any I can always add the balls back but at the least remove the 1/2" barbs should help with better flow.

Any questions or suggestions I am open.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20131222_225050.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	249857  

Name:	20131222_225146.jpg
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	249865  

Name:	20131222_225204.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	249873  

Name:	20131222_225023.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	249889  

Name:	20131222_225608.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	249913  

post #43 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So since I am at a stand still on the stand as I wait for some more things I have ordered and I am done staining it and can't do much until the switch anyways. I started to finish up on the canopy and getting it ready to stain maybe tomorrow.

I built in a shelf for my canopy to house my doser and testing kits, ferts, and other supplies. I also built the supports for my new 46" BML I ordered for them to rest on. In the picture I am testing this with my Current USA Satellite+ and it fits perfectly. I will be using two 10K Planted BML connected to my Apex for my primary day lighting and 1 Satellite Plus+ in the middle on a ramp timer for my moonlights in the evening. I am going to build into that so the BML tank mounts will mount into them so I can still angle them. Things are coming together nicely and looks things are still on schedule as long as get the rest of my things by the weekend.

I will build in some more shelves in the stand once I get everything else mounting and installed in there so I know how much room I am left working with.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20131224_000711.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	250145  

Name:	20131224_000728.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	250153  

Name:	20131224_000745.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	250161  

post #44 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 12:17 PM
AHP
Algae Grower

Looks nice!
post #45 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Awesome! You do great work. A second career maybe???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode