My 90 Gallon Dream Tank Build - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Algae Grower

I love the way you have set up the driftwood. I can't to see it completed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yep! I doing it big as this has been a 10/11 year dream to do this build right! Lol

Some people into freshwater my not be aware of dosers. They are mostly used on saltwater/reef tanks but can be used on planted tanks just the same. You just don't see many using them in freshwater and I am not sure why. I have one on on my reef setup as well. Not this model but a different one. This unit does have 3 pumps and you can draw from 3 different fert bottles. Each pump is fully programable where you can set the exact amount to does and set the time in which to dose it. I went this route as you can never forget to dose so it is all automated. There are some models that have 4 pumps but I only needed 3 so that is why I went with this model. If I needed more they do make an add on module to add 3 more pumps.

I haven't perfected the art of ferts yet so at the moment I will just be dosing my macros and micros based on the GLA recipe then going from there to make adjustments as need to the recipe based on water parameters and plants I will be keeping to dial in the perfect mixture needed for my tank. I am not looking forward to that as Chemistry wasn't my strong suite. LoL
post #18 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 01:14 PM
AHP
Algae Grower

Glad to see another Texan here, I will gladly lurk along for this one!
I to have BML's and love them. Hope all goes well for you and cant wait to see it all setup.
post #19 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am looking forward to it as well. I just hope it turns out as good as it looks in my head. LoL

I can't wait till I get my BMLs. I have heard and seen a lot of great things about them.
post #20 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Dosing pumps are expensive and not neccessary. More of a luxury for convenience. Reefers already pay out the wazoo for everything so it doesn't seem so bad to them and corals are probably a little more sensitive than most plants
post #21 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking forward to seeing this get up and running. I'm seriously considering getting a set of pumps for my tank too. It would be nice to be able to mix up a concentrated solution to be dosed daily on a Fill-And-Forget basis.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Aquatic Gardeners Association
Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #22 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Discus freak

wow very nice equipment man, will be waiting for updates

post #23 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Algae Grower

I had to subscribe. looks like this is going to be a cool tank.
post #24 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
Dosing pumps are expensive and not neccessary. More of a luxury for convenience. Reefers already pay out the wazoo for everything so it doesn't seem so bad to them and corals are probably a little more sensitive than most plants
Not exactly true, depending on the dosing pump you get they are rather affordable. The pump I got was cheaper than my lights, filter, and complete CO2 setup. Regardless if it is freshwater/saltwater it is a convenience thing and not needed for ether. I have paid nearly just as much for my planted as I have for my 100G reef tank. They both have the same premis. In a reef tank you are dosing the corals, in a freshwater you are dosing the plants. Is it needed? No, but it is not needed in ether setup depending on the plants or corals you are keeping. For me I can be away from my tank anywhere from 24-48 hrs or more at a time because of my line of work. For me it just makes sense to have one.
post #25 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
Not exactly true, depending on the dosing pump you get they are rather affordable. The pump I got was cheaper than my lights, filter, and complete CO2 setup. Regardless if it is freshwater/saltwater it is a convenience thing and not needed for ether. I have paid nearly just as much for my planted as I have for my 100G reef tank. They both have the same premis. In a reef tank you are dosing the corals, in a freshwater you are dosing the plants. Is it needed? No, but it is not needed in ether setup depending on the plants or corals you are keeping. For me I can be away from my tank anywhere from 24-48 hrs or more at a time because of my line of work. For me it just makes sense to have one.
I got to agree here. Sure, for most it's a luxury but I have a much more primitive setup and it was the only way I could keep a high tech tank. I often got home at 3-5AM, got up at 11am (if I could), only to be out of the house by 12. It might have been mine, it may have been my girlfriend's (now wife). The last thing I was concerned about was dosing my tank, if I was even at where my tank was at. Some days I was home all day and I would have enough time to trim, water change all that but no way I could keep up. For me, at that time, it's was like saying automating lighting or co2 was overkill, for most, they could turn there lights and co2 on before work, turn off when they come home. On the weekends or a day off, see how the tank looks. I feel you 100% on this.

Sorry for the rant, people said the same thing when I set up mine. I don't have that lifestyle anymore and don't miss it (well, I kind of do but wouldn't go back unless the money was right) but I absolutely needed that in my setup. Now I am trying to ween my way off of it haha.
post #26 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can probably guess what line of work you were in just based on the hours. Ha!

I work in public safety so I could be away for days at a time. So that just leaves my wife home with 2 kids, one being a newborn. She doesn't have time for it nor does she want to or would I trust her...LoL So for me it is practical. It's not for everyone as it is definitely a luxury but works great. It is something you get spoiled to for sure. That's the reason I have gone the route I have as it makes things easier. Some of these methods I do with my reef tank so I have experience with it and just adopted them for the planted tank as it can be done for both.
post #27 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 06:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm warming to the idea of a dosing pump, but my main tank is only 2ft. So I don't think there's room for a controller and all the bottles in the cabinet.

Do you think the bottles could be on a side table next to the tank? How long can the tubes be?
post #28 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
I'm warming to the idea of a dosing pump, but my main tank is only 2ft. So I don't think there's room for a controller and all the bottles in the cabinet.

Do you think the bottles could be on a side table next to the tank? How long can the tubes be?
Does your tank sit on a stand and is there room under it? They don't take up much room at all.

You can certainly put them on a table beside it. These units are rather versatile. The hoses can be fairly long, up to 30' a run and they do have good head height. These units use what is called "peristaltic pumps" which are widely used in the medical industry and sustain suction. If you do lose suction because of head height or what not you can just put a check valve where it connects to the fert bottle and that will help it hold suction if you have to put it somewhere that causes issues but next to the tank on a table will work perfectly fine.
post #29 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Algae Grower

post #30 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I posted a pic of what my cabinet innards look like in your thread about tubing. i've tried moving things around a little, but there's no room for 1L fert bottles. I think i'll get a side table with a door and put them all in there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode