A tale of 3 tanks: My DIY project journal (10g planted/33g planted/55g) - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

An old cell phone pic from day 1:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Algae Grower

The warm background light is brilliant!
post #33 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you! Here is an updated pic with the backlight turned on:

post #34 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

While I had the camera out, I also snapped a picture of my 33g planted community tank:

post #35 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Both tanks look sweet man! I love your co2 setup on your 33 gallon, its the best yeast setup I've ever seen!
Joshua
post #36 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Both tanks look sweet man! I love your co2 setup on your 33 gallon, its the best yeast setup I've ever seen!
Joshua
Thanks! It took some time to work out the kinks, but I believe I've come up a pretty good setup in both the 33 and the 10 gallon. Sure, I'd love to have a pressurized setup, but I get good results with minimal effort using DIY. An over-built system like mine really makes DIY CO2 a viable option in my opinion. No leaks, moderate control of flow, layered production with staggered refills and enough pressure to get 2+ BPS through a ceramic diffuser. Plus it looks kinda neat! lol
post #37 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Algae Grower

LOVE your tanks! The 55g is PERFECT
post #38 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkbmxr18 View Post
LOVE your tanks! The 55g is PERFECT
Wow, thank you so much!

I love my cichlid tank, too. It looks way better in person, I think, and I'm not totally sold on the driftwood (a recent addition back into the tank to add some more territories and cut down on the light intensity a bit), but here's a picture of the 55g from today as well:

(sorry for the reflection... it's a hard tank to get a good picture of)

post #39 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I wasn't happy with how that last picture represented my 55g tank, so I adjusted a few things and took another with the room light off to give you a better idea what the scape really looks like. Due to the size of the room and placement of the tank, it's a very hard aquarium to get a good picture of. This was just taken hand held with an old Kodak camera, but it's a much nicer picture of my setup. The entire rockscape is made from rocks I scavenged from the ditch in front of my house lol

post #40 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This thread is basically becoming a journal for all 3 of my tanks. I don't have any new pics of the 10g, but all is going well. I'm fighting a bit of BGA, which is keeping me busy, but I feel like I'm getting it under control. Plants are slowly growing in, but still a ways to go...

I have my tank maintenance to do tomorrow and plan on taking some progress pictures but, for tonight, I thought Id post a new picture of my 33g planted community tank:

It's growing in nicely! All still under chinese 10w LED flood lights and DIY CO2
post #41 of 151 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #42 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update time:

I finally won my battle with BGA, installed a ramp timer on the Satellite+, did a major trim, minor re-scape, moved some plants around, replaced my broken lily pipe intake, finalized my design on the DIY external drop checker, swapped my background lights for LEDs, tweaked my DIY CO2 setup a bit and finally dialed in all my lighting periods/timers.

All in all, I'd say it is all done to the point I should be able to stop disturbing it (aside from feeding, ferts and water changes) and let it (hopefully) continue to mature and fill in.

Any thoughts? Questions? Suggestions?
I'm all ears...
post #43 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

dude. i love this...

how are you liking the ramp on/off timer with the sat +? i was thinking about getting one myself.

Last edited by gnod; 02-12-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: edit
post #44 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Planted Member

Awesome looking tanks!

-Eric
post #45 of 151 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnod View Post
dude. i love this...

how are you liking the ramp on/off timer with the sat +? i was thinking about getting one myself.
Thanks very much!

I like the ramp timer. Definitely worth the $25-30 I paid for it and really completes the Sat+. That being said, I always run mine at full intesity (full spectrum mode, usually) so I'm unaffected by any of the strobing issues many others have reported. My only gripe is that I would prefer a longer, more gradual "ramp" time. 15 minutes is nice, but I'd personally prefer it to slowly increase/decrease over 60 minutes instead.

It would also be nice if it could include moonlighting somehow, but I have independant moonlighting on a separate timer that comes on 10 mins before the ramp down begins (9pm), stays on until midnight and then back on at 8am until 10 mins after full intesity is reached (1pm). That works alright, but having one light on a ramp timer and everything else just clicking on/off messes with my OCD. Down the road I'd like to aquire a couple more ramp timers and modify them to work with my moon and accent lighting but it's not my top priority yet.

Either way, for the cost, I think it's a "must have" for Sat+ users at least until Current USA comes out with a product that allows you to increase the dimmer period and/or add random weather effects or a 24/7 cycle, etc. for these lights (or until someone else starts pre-packaging an Arduino-type IR controller for them or something similar).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode