A tale of 3 tanks: My DIY project journal (10g planted/33g planted/55g) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Still tweaking the scape and just kinda letting it evolve naturally as things grow in and get shifted around. Very open to any suggestions as there is no strict direction to my design. I just kinda stare at it and try to brainstorm for ways I could improve it with whatever items I have access to lol

So, I wouldn't mind a second set of eyes to point out what I might not see.

Latest pic:

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like it. Needs more time to grow in and I think that space behind the wood would benefit from plants.
post #18 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #19 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhay View Post
I like it. Needs more time to grow in and I think that space behind the wood would benefit from plants.
Thanks! I might still add one more plant in that area, but I'm not sure what yet? For the meantime I have moved some of the DHG over a bit and just trimmed it to add even more perspective to the scape. Once the moss takes hold and I'm able to trim and clean it up I think it will make a huge difference.
post #20 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Any other thoughts? Comments? Criticisms? Ideas?

Anything??

I'd love to gather as many opinions as possible as I progress through this build (plus my "to do" list is getting too short for my liking).
post #21 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hello!

You have done great work, this is a very nice tank, just keep up the good work

I have only one question, Puffers and Cherry Shrimps?? Is that ok? I love Puffers and Cherry Shrimps, but in the same tank, i am thinking shrimp dinner?

Jnad
post #22 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnad View Post
Hello!

You have done great work, this is a very nice tank, just keep up the good work

I have only one question, Puffers and Cherry Shrimps?? Is that ok? I love Puffers and Cherry Shrimps, but in the same tank, i am thinking shrimp dinner?

Jnad
Thanks for the kind words! As for the puffer/shrimp concerns, from everything I've read, it seems like it's a hit or miss combination. Seems to be fine so far for myself, and I've read many other success stories but, like bettas, it seems like a lot relies on the individual personalities of each puffer and may change as they mature. My shrimp seem to be breeding (I see a few babies, anyways), so I'm hoping to develop a larger colony of shrimp before any attitudes change. Puffers were always fish I wanted to try, so I was willing to take the risk. If I end up with a puffer-only tank then so be it!
post #23 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

While I wait for my 10g to grow in some more, I figured I would show off the other tank that is in this same room: my mancave. It's not planted (though who knows what the future holds... no plans, but I get bored sometimes...) but here it is...

It's a standard 55 gallon tank filtered by an AC70 and an AC110. Nothing but rocks, wood, and a mixture of pool filter sand, fine pacific gravel and aragonite make up the hardscape and it is lit by a Beamswork 48" Reef Bright LED. Canopy and stand are DIY that I built to match the other furniture in the room (all white).

Stock is all mbuna cichlids plus one RTBS and a couple adult albino bristlenose plecos (I hope), though I haven't seen the female in quite some time. There are lots of hideouts and abundant algae so that's not abnormal, but something in me says she's toast lol She's been in there for almost 2 years now with no issues, so it could go either way...

To me, this is a very nice looking, low-maintenance joy of a tank compared to my other two heavily planted setups. I love that all I have to do is feed the fish and change the water - nothing compared to trimming, fertilizing, adjusting, removing floating debris, monitoring co2, etc etc. I looove planted tanks, but I adore this tank due to the fact that it's not lol
post #24 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Like the tank (10gallon). A suggestion/question is how you gonna contain the DHG in the front left from spreading everywhere, unless thats what you want over there. Nice setup and cleanliness of the look you pulled off.

I like the 55 as is cuz its just got a nice darkness with the light sand and fish offsetting it. But it is your tank and Mancave.

20 gallon
2.5 Sparta

Canon Pimp Club #094
post #25 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_gwinner View Post
Like the tank (10gallon). A suggestion/question is how you gonna contain the DHG in the front left from spreading everywhere, unless thats what you want over there. Nice setup and cleanliness of the look you pulled off.
Thank you! I really am letting this scape come together naturally. I have a basic idea of how and where I want (wanted?) things but, no matter how much I plan, it is a very dynamic process. It's a small tank and the substrate/hardscape is constantly getting shuffled around slightly as I trim and clean. It has resulted in rocks ending up outside of their planned areas, usually with positive and natural looking results. Same goes for the plants. So, long story long, I'm just going to let things grow and tell me where they want to be. It's going to be many months before I truly know what the final layout is going to be...
post #26 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_gwinner View Post
I like the 55 as is cuz its just got a nice darkness with the light sand and fish offsetting it. But it is your tank and Mancave.
If I do ever add plants to the 55, it's only ever going to be mosses or maybe some java fern or anubias on the wood/rocks. Nothing serious. Right now I love that it's not planted, so I expect that won't change anytime soon! Thanks again for the comments.
post #27 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #28 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Planning to pickup a few otos today if there's any at the LFS. After that, I would say this tank will be 100% complete (flora and fauna wise) and all that will be left is maintenance and letting things fill in.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions - I value any opinions or input!

Thanks.
post #29 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The otos seem to have settled in nicely and should help with the bit of algae growth I've got. Should hopefully be smooth sailing from here!
post #30 of 151 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Not sure if anyone is actually following this? But here is a quick update after I trimmed today. The lily pipes need to be cleaned but, other than that, things are coming along nicely!

20/12/2013:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode