The Planted Tank Forum banner

30th birthday present - 90g

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Gill 
#1 · (Edited)
So Cause i want an arow, Dad relented and said to look for a new tank, so after a week of searching on line. was almost giving up when i spotted a lovely 4 foot tank with cabinet, external, luminaire in coventry less than 10 mins from me.

So 3-4 hours of swapping tanks around i got a basic scape done.
Its still cloudy but you get the idea.

Full Length German Luminaire. forgot the name. 1 white and 1blue tube
Filter is an Eheim External Pro. Ceramic Rings, Coarse/Fien Faom and Poly Wool.

Plus need to install Moonlighs and Spot Lights for specifi areas of the tank.

Made some reflectors from pepsi bottles and tin foil.

Plants are all from my various tanks.
the white grid is a Java Moss Wall, i am trying. If it grows then will make a bigger one to fill the whole back of the tank.

In the top right corner, i have put the twigs and will tie java moss to them.

Now i can use my Co2 kit an d have really good plants.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice set up! That'll make a great home for a juvie arow.

I'm not too familiar with your lighting fixture -- is it Power compact or just regular fluourescent? It might be too little, but like I said, not familiar.

I've heard that tinfoil isn't actually the best DIY reflector as all the folds and crinkles can soak up more light than it bounces back. Simple white paint is said to be easier and better.

Please keep us posted!

#6 ·
I concur with the tin foil. white paint is better. However, I have seen a strip tape that you can buy in any major hardware store that is reflective tape. you could try that, but the white paint is probably your best solution for now.

Not sure if DIY CO2 is going to give you much on the 90 gallons.

Do you have a full plant list?

Moss wall will look good. You could even try Moss Ropes too. They are nifty.

#7 ·
Plants:

Marimo Balls * 20
Mixed Size Amazon Swords
Java Wall
Java Rocks
Java Poles * 5
Tiger Lilly * 1
Green Lilly * 2
Various Crypts
Various Anubias
Frogbit
Duckweed
Vallis
Eldonea
Fluva....... Stem Plant Something * 3 Bunches.

#10 ·
i'll get some closeups tommorrow - ordering a load more plants today.

I am gonna Clean up the other 4footer for the arow, as i love this more as a community. and have everyone has enjoyed watching the fish swimming around in this.

#11 ·
Added Co2 a few more plants. More arriving from Aquatic Magic and Mosymo next week.

bidding on some new bogwood from someone new on fleabay. His prices are cheaper than going to the LFS and Looking around in the BogWood Bins.

This is how it looks in the Evening when main lights are off and just using the aquaglow tube from the 10g

Chocolate Gourami - 1 of them has been eating the ramshorns and has managed to get 1 stuck on its lip. Will have to remove it, if it hasn't come off in the morning

Embers

Left Corner

Still Looks Very Empty Fish Wise. Would Red Line Torpedo Be ok with my Fish, as they are on Sale ATM.

#16 ·
Been a while,
Not much to Update.
Added new plants.
More Marimo balls,
Pelia
More java Moss
Flame Moss
and some Fissidens.

Added Some Mixed Endlers, White Peacocks, Tigers, Black Bar, Green Snakeskin, Yellow Tuxedo.

Gouramis Nest

Arows tank is coming along and the quarantine tank is up and running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.