Path to Nowhere - The Planted Tank Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
wiona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 96
Path to Nowhere

I purchased a Fluval edge 12 gallon and suffered for over a year with its small opening and decided to make a change. So I removed the top. I'm gathering parts for Co2 to inject both tanks and thinking my next move (DONE). I'm really feeling a 125 gallon may be in my future

Equipment:
Tank: fluval Edge 46L
Lighting: Clip-on shop light with 23 watt 6500K CFL
Substrate: 20lbs Eco Complete and River Gravel
Filtration: SUNSUN HW-602B Mini Canister Filter
Heater: Fluval E 50-Watt
Base: Aluminum Plate
Co2: Harris single stage Reg, Coilhose pneumatics single stage reg, Ingersoll Rand miniature solenoid, Fabco NV-55-18 needle valve, Ista Max Mix Reactor, Fluval 88g-CO2 Bubble Counter and an U.P. Aqua Co2 Indicator.

Flora:
rotala sp colorata
Crypt lutea
Dwarf Sag
Java fern
alterna reineckii
hygrophila lacustris
rotala macandra
rotala rotundifolia
Ludwigia sp. red
Limnophila aromatica

Fauna:
snails (hitched a ride on the plants)







***Final update. Moving tank and going Low-tech***





Thanks for looking

Last edited by wiona; 02-28-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Final update
wiona is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
starfire12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burlington, Washington
Posts: 672
That is really cool, I like the way the path goes under the wood.

I used to keep an open mind but my brains kept falling out.
starfire12 is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 01:03 AM
Planted Member
 
ccar2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Littlerock, CA
Posts: 265
You did a great job. The top is so open now, cool!

Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end. Sonny: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
ccar2000 is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 02:22 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Kat12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,307
is it good not being fully on a surface?
Kat12 is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
wiona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 96
Thank you.

It is the original stand it came with and installing the corner wedges in place of the top I am hoping it will stay together. Time will tell.
wiona is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hilde's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mableton, GA
Posts: 5,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiona View Post
I purchased a Fluval edge 12 gallon and suffered for over a year with its small opening and decided to make a change
I'm really feeling a 125 gallon may be in my future

Equipment:
Tank: fluval Edge 46L
Lighting: Clip-on shop light with 23 watt 6500K CFL
Then for lights you are going to have to use something different. I saw in 1 pic another tank with house bulbs. I am thinking with T5 bulbs over that tank you could cut down your electric bill.
Hilde is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
wiona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Then for lights you are going to have to use something different. I saw in 1 pic another tank with house bulbs. I am thinking with T5 bulbs over that tank you could cut down your electric bill.
It has not been a problem so far but I am going to monitor it. Thanks.
wiona is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
wiona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 96
A little update:

Finally injecting Co2 and added some more plants. I'm going to let things settle in and recover (some melt).

I'm pretty lucky for having a job that allows me access to certain things with one being equipment. The Regulator's, Solenoid, Tank and fittings were supplied by my company (not stolen ) and I purchased the rest so the cost was very doable. Not the prettiest but it is a go.


Purchased a SUNSUN HW-602B, Ista Max Mix Co2 Reactor, Fluval 88g-CO2 Bubble Counter, an U.P. Aqua Co2 Indicator and Fabco NV-55-18. Placement is not final.


Things are already growing and I can't wait to see what the addition of Co2 and ferts will do once dialed in.





Thanks for looking.
wiona is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
mistuhmarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiona View Post
A little update:

Finally injecting Co2 and added some more plants. I'm going to let things settle in and recover (some melt).

I'm pretty lucky for having a job that allows me access to certain things with one being equipment. The Regulator's, Solenoid, Tank and fittings were supplied by my company (not stolen ) and I purchased the rest so the cost was very doable. Not the prettiest but it is a go.


Purchased a SUNSUN HW-602B, Ista Max Mix Co2 Reactor, Fluval 88g-CO2 Bubble Counter, an U.P. Aqua Co2 Indicator and Fabco NV-55-18. Placement is not final.


Things are already growing and I can't wait to see what the addition of Co2 and ferts will do once dialed in.





Thanks for looking.
That tank looks cool! Quick question though, how well does the Sunsun 602 filter work? I've been debating on getting it for a while with lily pipes.
mistuhmarc is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
wiona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 96
Thanks..

I've only had the filter up and running for about a week but it is doing just fine. It is tiny but moves a fair amount of water for my needs. The true test is when I stock. I plan on 15-20 CPD's. Lily pipes are on my short list.

What size tank? These are rated up to 20 gallons and I feel that to be accurate.
wiona is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
mistuhmarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiona View Post
Thanks..

I've only had the filter up and running for about a week but it is doing just fine. It is tiny but moves a fair amount of water for my needs. The true test is when I stock. I plan on 15-20 CPD's. Lily pipes are on my short list.

What size tank? These are rated up to 20 gallons and I feel that to be accurate.
Let me know how it turns out! I am planning on buying one myself when go on break from college this semester
mistuhmarc is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 01:40 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Little Neck, NY
Posts: 1,608
nice setup, i really like what you did, esp with the light setup. super clean and simple.

how are you liking the ista reactor? do you know what the OD (outer diameter) is for the sunsun hoses?
gnod is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
wiona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnod View Post
nice setup, i really like what you did, esp with the light setup. super clean and simple.

how are you liking the ista reactor? do you know what the OD (outer diameter) is for the sunsun hoses?
Thank you.. The light was simple, cheap and it works. The reactor works pretty well but I think the filter is not powerful enough to get everything out of it. Over 2 bps I get a lot of micro bubbles. I think if I had more water flow it would break it up more.

The Sunsun 602b hose is 1/2 id - 5/8 od.
wiona is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
wiona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 96
Lowered the light and turned up the Co2 last night. Came home this evening to crazy pearling.

wiona is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
wiona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 96
A little update.. Things are really taking off.





Thanks for looking
wiona is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome