210g emersed aquarium. - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centromochlus View Post
Container method for sure. Growing different species together in the same dirt proved to be a big mistake for my setup IMO... it became nearly impossible to control and/or eradicate species. If they would have been in separate containers, it would have been much easier.
Yeah. I think I will go with the container method too. I just always have to consider the other options. And seeing old photos of when I switch it over made me question it.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Have you thought about making an egg crate shelf and using pots instead of larger containers?

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Aquatic Gardeners Association
Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

I'm still trying to figure out what I am going to use to raise the containers. I don't want to use pots because they are generally too deep and are circular as opposed to square. Last time I used pots, I had some anaerobic problems. I'm planning on going to walmart/dollar store to see what I can get.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Pots can make life easier

Go to a garden center vs. the Evil Retail Empire. Look for window box planters and orchid pots. Window box planters are 5" x 12,24 or 30" long. Orchid pots are lower in hgt.(orchid pot in 2nd pic as a base)

My thought if I ever do a big tank would be plant in pots. Use them in the background and sides. Use driftwood & rock to hide the pots. Then just use a little sand in the foreground.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

Yeah, I would use pots, except I need trays more than pots. 2-3" deep, made of plastic, and round things waste a lot of space.

And I'm all for supporting local places too, except the near garden store near me is in Alabama almost an hour away.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
Yeah, I would use pots, except I need trays more than pots. 2-3" deep, made of plastic, and round things waste a lot of space.

And I'm all for supporting local places too, except the near garden store near me is in Alabama almost an hour away.
There are plastic window boxes too, the rectangle shape would work more efficiently. Keep in mind what ever you use that it's strong. lifting a flimsy planting tray through a water column is going to a YouTube fail video waiting to happen.

Look at online Hydroponic Supply as a source. They use lots of heavy duty type trays etc. Restaurant buss tubs could also be cut down in size. Lots of options for a cleaver hobbyist.
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Although pots will make farming easier I would love to see you scape this thing out too. I cant really recall a stellar scape of this size of all emergent plants. It would make an amazing scene for sure. Good luck with it K10 and its nice to see you putting this thing together. Hopefully you got rid of the dingbat fish from the first pic
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A quick google search for square plastic planting pots gave me a huge list of possible sources.

Cheers,
Phil

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Aquatic Gardeners Association
Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

I definitely see an advantage to larger containers from the farming aspect of the build. More room for each species to grow is great for most of the stem plants. I definitely wouldn't want to use the flimsey trays. You could probably find some Tupperware of decent size and drill holes, that's worked great for me with stems. If you do get some things in pots, square is the way to go. Now that my 55 emersed crypt tank is filling up, I'm wishing I'd spent the time to order the square pots rather than rushing out and grabbing round ones.

Last edited by johnson18; 11-06-2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: .
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

Well, I bought the planters today. I got a good deal on them too. They are storage containers.

Here are some pictures. I tried drilling a hole in them, but it was cracking too much, so I heated a rod of steel and melted the holes.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Are u using glass tops? Or something else?
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

No top as of right now. I am going to pick up some 1/4" acrylic sheets for the top later.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
I tried drilling a hole in them, but it was cracking too much, so I heated a rod of steel and melted the holes.
I found that I needed something behind the plastic to drill it, I used dirt, as in the ground plus a slow start on the drill... Haha. In the end, wholes are wholes glad you've got the tank with plants in it already! Looks good!
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 03:23 AM
Algae Grower

word of warning acrylic does seem to bend over time with heat and light. i would go 3mm glass ftw

post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
I found that I needed something behind the plastic to drill it, I used dirt, as in the ground plus a slow start on the drill... Haha. In the end, wholes are wholes glad you've got the tank with plants in it already! Looks good!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieDIYFK View Post
word of warning acrylic does seem to bend over time with heat and light. i would go 3mm glass ftw
I was wanting to go with glass, but I was afraid of it breaking. This just confirms that I need to get glass instead.

Thanks!

-Caton

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode