Starting over - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Starting over

110gal. 4x2' footprint T5ho lights x4, no co2, planted SA community

Something is definitely wrong in my tank, my fish are showing signs of ammonia poisoning and are slowly dying off but my ammonia levels, rate and rite are always are within good levels.

I'm at my wits end and have decided to place my fish at a friends house in a hospital tank environment till I get it all sorted out.

What I plan to do is totally break down the tank, toss out all my DIY substrate "safe t sorb" and dirt. Sanitize everything. Clean out my canister filters, boil the bio media, scrub driftwood, etc...rinse off my plants.... Get the driftwood attached to slate of something so I don't need rocks to hold it down.

Then I'm going to start over with floramax substrate "that I ordered on sale" and start a dry fert regimen. I also have almond leaves now.

I plan on taking notes and observing the complete cycle very closely this time, so there is no question on that.

Thank you all for your help and advice this last month. I really do appreciate it.

Now is there anything I'm forgetting? Should I use low levels or bleach to sanitize or is vinegar strong enough to kill any pathogens that might be present?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Planted Member

OR you could just give the original tank more time to mature and develop a healthy population of beneficial bacteria and archaea. You should borrow some filter media from your friends tank to seed yours. Good things take a long time to develop, only bad things happen quickly. I'm probably wasting my breath.

Have an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out.

Think outside the glass box.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

What do you mean? How do you explain the perfect water tests if thats the only problem?

Btw, I did seed the tank with used filters
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Planted Member

Life is not perfect. It is diversity and the ability to change that sustains life. If you truly wish to keep a successful aquarium, then you must look for opportunities to increase its biodiversity. Only time and patients can provide this. Plus you must be willing to add life forms such as worms and snails to help develop the soil. Keep a healthy substrate and you have a healthy tank. But this requires bachteria and other micro fauna to break down waste into nutrients that plants can consume. Nature has its rules, many off them may be broken to reach short term goals, but in the long run you will find that mother nature always has her way.
Keep the dirt. You will see that some fish, plants and water does not an aquarium make. In order to sustain life in a glass box with the greatest chance of success, you must be willing to offer diversity and stay the heck out of its way.
If you have a problem with pathogens, then get a UV sterilizer. But after the ecosystem is well developed you will no longer need it.
I wish you the best results.

post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Planted Member

And for all the nay sayers, the nitrogen cycle is not the only requirement for a healthy tank. You must also be able to cycle boron, carbon, calcium, copper, iron, potassium, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, phosphorus, sulfur and zinc. And with the exception of carbon, all of these can be found in fish food including the nitrogen.

Plants do not consume fish waste, they consume the nutrients. The living organisms that perform these processes will out compete and displace more harmful life forms. Much in the same way that our digestive system works. And in turn how a septic system works. A septic system is home to the same bacteria as is found in your digestive system.

The substrate in your tank is essentially a septic system, and if healthy, will break down waste into nutrients for plants. The grass is always greener over the septic system.

Pathogens have a difficult time surviving in a healthy system. They do best attacking the sick and the weak.

So do not poison you tank, give it time and it will survive.

post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm willing to give it more time. I can always return the 150 pounds of floramax to my local petsmart because I had free shipping anyways.

So, my main concern is the fish are dying. If I place them in the hospital tank at my friends house and run the tank minus fish, should I just dose pure ammonia daily and continue to make sure it's being cycled for 3-6 more weeks and then bring the fish back?

Is there anything I can do to make sure there isn't any disease in the tank? Like raise temps or maybe do a plant safe nuke and start the cycle over again?

I would like to salvage this somehow but finding a dead fish every 15 hours is very stressful
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Planted Member

If your friends hospital tank has a filter that is established well enough to handle the bioload of all your fish being added, then why not just move his filter onto your tank. Then return the floramax and use that money to buy a UV sterilizer.

We can go into details on how to best handle this if he is willing to lend you the filter for say 3 weeks.

post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Planted Member

Although the ammonia method is good, it is incomplete. I recommend using fish food. This way you can develop the bacteria needed to break down food/waste.

Have you access to snails or live blackworms?

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have loads of mt snails, the filter is on his planted tank with his snails and stuff, he isn't a "friend" as much as a local fish forum acquaintance that has offered to help me out.

My fish are sick and dying:
here is a cory cat I just photographed, he has holes in his fins and grey eyes, my water test I just took is:
PH 7.6
Amm 0
nRite 0
nRate 10 ppm

and I just pulled a dead garnet tetra and corry cat out

I did a big water change 5 days ago
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Planted Member

Post some pics of the dead fish with as much clarity as you can.

post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

dead fish are usually half eaten by snails by the time I find them, I pulled a rummynose out the other day that looked pretty good, red nose, nice tail stripes, didn't look sick
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Planted Member

How many fish do you have in the tank at the moment? How many have you lost? Can you post a pic of the entire tank so I can see how many plants. What kind of filters are you running. I tried to read your other threads, but still have questions regarding your setup.

post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

this was awhile back, after I rescaped, but I bought some large plants at an auction, it's got a bit more plants now.

I had "all juveniles"
5 Bolivian rams
6 neon t
6 cardinal t
6 corries
6 busy nose plecos
5 rummynose t
10 baby angels

l have lost so far:
1 Bolivian ram
5 rummy nose
6 garnet t
2 or 3 neon and cardinal t's
2 or 3 angels
2 or 3 corry cats

and everytime I lose a fish I do a water test and it's ALLWAYS PH 7.6
Amm 0
nRite 0
nRate 10 ppm

http://s761.photobucket.com/user/gy5...?sort=3&page=1
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 01:32 AM
Algae Grower

Are you using test strips? And if so how old are they? They can give false readings if the test strips are too old.

Korya, New West - B.C. - Canada
75G Community Planted Tank
Turquoise Rainbows
Panda Corys
Rummy Noses
Neons
Clown Plecos
Albino BN Plecos
CO2
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

no I have a api master kit and I went to petco or petsmart last week and confirmed that my tests were correct.

this is what they sent me home with, it was in my pocket for awhile before I took the pic

My other theory is that my "safe t sorb" substrate is either toxic or causing my tests to all appear great while they actually aren't

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode