Starting over - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Planted Member

That was way too many fish for a tank this young. Its not even two months old yet, am I right? Do not nuke the tank, or all this suffering would have been pointless. You may still lose the rest of the small tetras, even transferring them to an established tank may prove to be to stressful at this time. Do five gallon water changes every day for the next month. Do not vacuum the substrate when removing water. Rinse your filter mechanical media gently in the removed tank water once a week leave the biomedia alone. Add activated carbon for the next four weeks exchanging it weekly. Use seachem prime to prepare your tap water.

Your cory in the pic may be suffering form a bacterial infection resulting in fin rot. This however does not match the other symptoms described. So they may all have been introduced with their own issues. Being a new tank, any infections brought in with fish had free realm without the restrictions as would be imposed by a colony of established healthy bacteria.

Get some of the biomedia from somebody in your area with an old heathy tank and add it to your filter. The nastier looking the biomedia the better, in fact get all the sponge grunge you can from their mechanical filter and squeeze that into your filter.

The goal is to gather as many different strains of benificial bacteria and archaea nitrifying and otherwise as possible to get your tank going in the right direction. The beneficial bacteria will out compete the harmful bacteria.

Have an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out.

Think outside the glass box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, sounds like good advice.
I guess I just figured my levels were ok so everything was ok, I wasn't really thinking about good bacteria probiotic action so to say.

I went a little nuts with stocking the tank too fast due to auctions and picking up large bags of Angels and stuff by mistake and then when I tried to sell most of them folks on the local forum gave me a hard time about it being too stressful when they hadn't even settled into my tank yet and so on.

I am trying my best to do whats right.

I will try to trade some biomedia, I have some clean extra eheim stuff, maybe someone will trade for and I can swap it in. Maybe I can get a hob ac110 to put carbon and a dirty sponge in.

At this point should I give all the fish to that guy to keep for me or just give him all the angels to keep and hope for the best? I was planning on letting him keep the Angels for good because he was interested in them back when I was trying to sell them and for doing me the favor and stuff
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I am thinking that you may have some mystery metals in your water. Kordon Rid-Metal would help with that. Petco sells it. A few pet stores can test for metals. I only used my master test kit for a few month. Thus when I had to break down my 29G, for after 4yrs the dirt started stinking, I decided to rely on pet stores for testing water. My fish are easy to replace though.

I looked through your pictures on photo bucket and I only saw 1 Angelfish that looked stressed. It had some red around its gills like inflamation.
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solchitlins View Post
I am trying my best to do whats right.
LOL! You can bet your Tartar Sauce your gonna do whats right, or else this hobby will punish you.

Make the trades, sounds like it will be best for the fish.

This is the journal section, so keep this thread alive with your decisions from here on out. Sound like its going to be an informative fun ride! I feel like I have a vested interest in the outcome.

Have an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out.

Think outside the glass box.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I went a little nuts with stocking the tank too fast due to auctions. I am trying my best to do whats right.
Don't be so hard on your self. We all make mistakes when we start. My 1st was buying a 10G starter kit and a lemon cichlid.
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Starting over

I agree 100% with what's been said. Personally I don't find anything mysterious at all. Your tank isn't ready for a even a small fish load yet and you added a TON of fish way too fast. Your only option is to let it ride and try to get some good bio media. That's a big tank and bacteria can only grow so quickly
Whatever you do, DONT break down the tank or anything else. Also do some real research before you treat the tank for anything. I would not mess with anything at all. Your probably going to lose some more fish. I don't see a way around that

That tank really tied the room together
Fraternity of Dirt
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think if you add some plants (silent cycle) and do 25% water changes , which are treated with Kordon Rid metal and AmQuel Plus, that you can speed the cycle up and diminish the inflammation that is affecting the fish. The Kordon Rid adds a protective slime coating thus it also works as a water conditioner. The AmQuel Plus removes any ammonia in the water. Petco carries both. Also the AmQuel Plus is cheapest at LNT.com
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I swapped out some bio media that I traded with a local fish forum friend, I cleaned the canisters up a bit but only by swishing the stuff around in a bucket of dirty tank water.

I'm giving my fish to that other guy tomorrow to care for while I figure this out.

Oh yeah, my tank is heavy planted and those are "blushing" angels, some have transparent gills and always look like that, unless you mean more than usual.

That dude is also swapping sponge filters with me.

Thanks
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Oh yeah, my tank is heavy planted

Those are "blushing" angels, some have transparent gills and always look like that, unless you mean more than usual.
I still think you need some more stem plants like wisteria.

One angel had redder gills than the other.
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Things are looking better. The sock must be helping. Still think you need more stem plants like wisteria.
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Things look great, yet another Angel and Neon just died :-(
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm down to a few Angels, the rams, plecos and 3 tetras now.

Water parameters look great
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

one of my rams has pop eye now
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Using Fish Zole now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode