Kwheeler's Double Stumpy Woodagumi-ish 55G- Video p.3 - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Those are awesome stumps. How did you even find one like those ? like seriously, did you cut off them/ fix them up or that how they look when you found them ( if you bought them then nvm lol :P)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

All is explained in post #12 my friend
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Talking

I got the hob's taken down and my aquatop hooked up a few days ago. With the koralia its nearly the perfect amount of flow, no dead spots. I still have to cut the hoses down and it will probably be just right. I tied some moss on today. Didnt get to all of it but only a couple pieces to go. Tying moss on funny shaped wood is an art all its own. I also tweaked the left side stump a little

As of now my plan is a glosso carpet and hydro japan growing up into the stumps. Maybe a single stem species in there in places if it looks right. I've always wanted to try true rotala indica so maybe I will give it a go.

I'm strapped for cash at the moment unfortunately. not so unfortunately its because I went back to school and my little girl is getting a baby brother any day now Im going to let my moss grow over the winter and try to get my keei back in good shape so I can sell them for hobby cash and get the plants I need for my vision to come to life. For now I have to wait

Last edited by kwheeler91; 11-13-2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: needed to change something obvioisly
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I want to either buy or make an acrylic intake with a surface skimmer and outflow be it either a lily style or spraybar but thats for the future as well.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 04:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

This is one of the better, if not the best, of the stump scapes I've seen show up lately. Very nice positioning, it's nice that you've still got some angle worked into the sides of your stumps.

Last edited by johnson18; 11-13-2013 at 04:08 AM. Reason: .
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks man! I had the idea rolling around in my head for a few weeks and when I went for it everything just came together really well.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

nice scape, really like the stumps. OHIO represent. How is your water where you are? Mine is pretty hard + High PH.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I live in port clinton so mine comes right out of lake erie. Ive never done really accurate tests but it its pretty hard. Ph isnt too bad, I think its in the 7.5 range give or take. It tends to drop down to just below 7 after it stabilizes though.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
I live in port clinton so mine comes right out of lake erie. Ive never done really accurate tests but it its pretty hard. Ph isnt too bad, I think its in the 7.5 range give or take. It tends to drop down to just below 7 after it stabilizes though.
Im in canton, mine goes up after it satibilizes. haha.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I keep changing the left stump... not sure if I like it this way better or not but ive rearranged it like 4 times for im gonna leave it alone for a while. its hard to see in the crappy photo but it looks better in person and its gonna get some more moss and it wont really matter that much anyway. also tweaked the right side a little with the stones. I also put in some c. lutea on the left and c. wendtii red on the right. figured if I cant afford to get the plants I want at the moment I might as well throw some variety in there for the winter.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok so I lied... left stump changed again and im much happier with it now. I also created a sort of diy reactor for my diy co2 out of an aquaclear quick filter and a bunch of filter floss. It appears to be working because I haven't seen it burp yet and if it does its right below the koralia and will get chopped into a million pieces. If anyone is curious the thing on the right of the tank coming out of the spraybar is my scum buster. Shoved an airline into the spraybar and used some spare tubing and the top for a hydrosponge pedestal to shoot a small jet of water just enough to break the surface and get rid of the protein layer without gassing out all of my co2.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Everythings growing good ill try to snap a pic tomorrow. I have more stems of ludwigia than I know what to do with. I have it on good authority that I'm getting some play money for fish and plants this christmas so I can do what I wanted originally plant-wise.

I'm having trouble deciding on fish though so maybe I should start a poll and get some opinions. I'm leaning towards a big school of threadfin rainbows, in part because my sids have become pretty reclusive and im hoping a big active school will give them some confidence, that and the angels are going bye bye as i think that may have something to do with it. I'm also considering congo tetras. Congos are pretty and even though theyre peaceful I am afraid their size might scare the loaches and keep them hiding out in the cave.

So the breakdown is:
Rainbows
-bigger school
-cool finnage when displaying
-could breed them with the tank space I have available
-small size make make the tank look larger

Congos
-smaller school but larger size makes them a big eye catcher
-constantly very colorful as opposed to the rainbows with which males are only colorful and only as pretty as congos when displaying, IMO.
-may detract from the scape since the tank isn't that large
-may keep loaches in hiding, but I'm not certain on this

I typically like smaller fish in larger numbers but I'm drawn to the show-E-ness of congos as of late, so I'm having trouble deciding.
What do you guys think?
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 04:00 AM
Returning. Videotapes.

Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz
Rainbows, rainbows, and more rainbows.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

As promised... don't mind the bubbly water, that's my diy co2 blasting around. I did away with the reactor thing I made and put the line inside of my spray bar. The high pressure at the orifice the line is touching blows the co2 bubbles apart very well. I think it works very well, even better than powerheads and this way its not running air through your motors, unless you have the venturi option but this way bubbles are finer as I have done the venturi before. If you want to know more about what i'm talking about just pm me.

Hope you enjoy!

FTS

A slightly different perspective

Couple fish pics

sids came out for a visit today. food may have had something to do with it lol.

Farlowella
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Tbh, I have a group of congas and rainbows, so I can't help you there lol

However, what kind of loaches are those? They look super cool.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/n7zp47m
My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/qyf7s5o
My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:http://tinyurl.com/p54uupj
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode