Sanding is done, I took everything apart to get ready for the polyurethane. Since it is apart, I took a picture of a few things I fabricated. It is definately rough, as no one will see it, and I had to figure it out as I went along. If I did another one, it would be much better.
From the top, the fixture. It had a cord hole near, but not in the center. I removed the ballast, and grinded the hole over to the desired spot with a diamond-studded bit, using a rotary tool.
Next is the part connected to the light mount which is bolted to the fixture.
To make the slot for the cord, I drilled some 1/4" holes, and used the miter saw to cut it out. My drill can only handle up to a 1/4" bit, so I've had to do things the hard way. I finished it off with one of those diamond bits.
It was hard to align everything, I made some marks and used my hands as clamps to keep things in place. All I worried about was that there was a screw or bolt in a place of strength in a few cases. Wouldn't a drill press and some clamps be nice?
At the bottom, the swing arm. I used a drum sanding bit on the rotary tool to form the channel on the ends for the cord. I had the speed way too high at first so I took away more material than I wanted. Not perfect, but it works.
The 1/4" carriage bolts, washers, and nuts, and the block.
Carriage bolts are cool with wood, they don't spin. I roughed up the rubber washers with sandpaper now everything is apart, as those small wingnuts are hard to crank down. A lever attached to a nut would be cool, I may have to work on that.
The block was very hard to locate. I just need to shave maybe a 1/16" off the corner to lower the light to my desired 16" above the stand. I just drilled anywhere after having to do it a second time, as it was too low. I used a Phillips bit for a countersink here and on the stand, as I didn't have a countersink. It was better than nothing, the wood tended to split without them.
Finally, the polyurethane. It's a matte finish, I hope it looks good. Stay tuned...