Second try with a standard 55 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile Second try with a standard 55 Gallon

Hello Everyone! Sorry this may be a long post. I'm hoping to get some advice?

I have owned fish only tanks for a long time, and even helped my mom keep a salt water fish only tank for several years. I didn't get into the planted tank idea until my sister-in law gave me a dozen platys, a dozen cherry shrimp and water wisteria, so I am very new to the planted tank world.

At the time I had a 10 gallon tank set up with gravel and a double halfmoon Betta, so I added florite to the substrate for the wisteria. I also bought a Chinese algae eater, and two peppered cory catfish. I had a HOB marineland filter, an included hood light with two mini compact 50/50 fluorescent bulbs. I also bought a nana anubias and some java fern (don't know the species but the tips of each leaves are lacey) from Petsmart since my sister-in law works there. All of which did extremely well for the three years i had them. My nana anubias even bloomed twice on two different occasions. My cherry shrimp have now gone from about 15 to several hundred (several of which I have sold to local pet stores).

I tossed around the idea of starting a 55 gallon that I got from my sister-in law back in March and having miracle grow and black diamond substrate, but changed my mind later.

Unfortunately my 10 gallon had an accident one night about a month ago (bottom seal on tank sprung a leak) and I was forced to upgrade to the 55.

The current setup I have for the 55 gallon is as follows:

2 included 24'plastic hoods each with a single 6500k T8 bulb on a digital timer from 6:30 am to 8:30 pm
Eheim 2217 with ceramic rings on bottom then coarse filter with filter floss, then eheim filter substrate, then two coarse pads with filter floss with included spray bar.
55-75 gallon fluval aquarium heater set at 76
mixture of pool filter stand and black diamond blasting sand
I have an aquatop powerhead that I plan to add to the tank to increase flow after I can get another 10 gallon set up for my Betta (flow is really tough on his pretty fins).
Along with several large rocks as decor.
I have recently added a few cherry barbs, and rummy nosed tetras as well.
I have been fertilizing with FloraPride liquid fertilizer at recommend dosing, and my plants still seem to be doing fine and reproducing. My shrimp are also still multiplying.

I know that I need to replace the lighting on the tank, and am still up in the air on what I want to get. I have decided to stay with a low light to medium light setup, because I don't want to inject CO2. I also cannot spend a fortune on the system. I am thinking of just a shop light from Lowe's suspended over the tank.

Any advise would be very appreciated!

Sorry for the long post. I will be including pictures later this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2607.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	227041  

Name:	DSCN2608.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	227049  

Name:	DSCN2610.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	227057  

Name:	DSCN2619.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	227065  

Last edited by Arcadianna; 10-26-2013 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Added Photos of 55 Gallon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have noticed a trend on this forumn with everyone looking at posts (160 views, and 0 replies), and no one replying with suggestions. I guess I will seek advice from another planted tank forum.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadianna View Post
I have noticed a trend on this forumn with everyone looking at posts (160 views, and 0 replies), and no one replying with suggestions. I guess I will seek advice from another planted tank forum.
is this a threat??

don't get angry because no one has replied, sometimes no news is good news. in this case I think you have a good base with your sized tank and your anubias, everything else is an eye sore. your unrealistic rocks and placement look way off, your black and white substrate looks really weird and the three plant masses look sloppy and out of place. I think you should stick with rooted plants in place of the three water wisteria masses for a look. Maybe three big swords clumped together to one side of the tank instead of evenly spread out. then a grouping of some other plants somewhere else and a few floaters.

-Jacklyn
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't really like the middle white rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode