Before this tank got to where it is now, I would just like to document the journey to it current state. I wish I taken photos of its bringup, but I guess I forgot to. So this tank got dry started for over a month before water was added. At the time, I tried to attach the moss to the rock using super glue, had Hairgrass behind the rocks, and had HC like now.
This began to grow on my HC during the DSM. I had covered the entire tank with plastic wrap and sprayed it a bunch 2 times a day. Problem was that mold quickly grew on the HC and it really took a beating. Most of my initial HC died. One patch lived I think. Upon seeing this, I read to open the tank up a bit. So from that point on, I sprayed and only partially covered the tank. I left a bit open. In addition, Since i had it on hand, I used melafix and pimafix in the water bottle i used to spray. I don't think it really did much though. Smelled nice haha.
After the flood, I began getting some algae. I wasn't sure exactly what it was, but it seemed mostly like spirogyra of some kind. This stuff was nasty. Basically looked like small dark green to black puffballs tangled in the HC. Sounds like BBA right? I don't think it was. It was really easy to remove manually since it just lifted off like a cotton ball rips. But since it tangled in the HC, I also uprooted a lot of HC when removing it. The pincets i use for planting stems came in real good use here. But like i said, this stuff was nasty! I tried everything I had: Excel, Algaefix, H2O2 1-2 punch. I saw it bubble during the H2O2 spot treatment but it still remained. Some of the HC i spot treated died. After this, I basically decided to go to my final weapon. In my 10 gallon, I had a huge issue with algae. It was my first planted tank, and I could not figure out why algae was so rampant. As time went on, i learned more and more about plants and CO2. My final weapon in that tank was the blackout. But not simply a 3-day blackout. My final weapon vs all but BBA is (Maximum manual removal + blackout + excel) -> add a bunch of healthy fast growing plants + lower light. BBA, I am still learning how to fully control. It's pretty much all that exists in my 10 gallon and it doesn't spread that badly any more but, still its there. Not until i see it gone will I admit to defeating it.
So after this final attack, I added a bunch of rotala green from my 10 gallon. Wish I didn't get snails with it since the 60P now has snails because of that. But hey, sure as heck beats algae. The algae still remained but it was much less. For the next 2 weeks I continued the water changes, and manually removing as much as I could. Towards the end of this time, the algae began to slow down a lot. And basically a month later, the algae was gone. I removed the rotala I added 2 weeks later( it was pretty huge now haha) and added the PRL's.
One of the reasons why this is my final weapon is cause it targets so many things all at once. The reduction in light helps lower the CO2 demand by plants;the manual removal reduces the algae biomass;the blackout hurts multiple kinds of algae;the excel adds a bit more knockback to the algae; and the addition of healthy fast growing plants helps take up nutrients quickly and shift the balance back into plants favor. I am a firm believer in healthy plants = very little algae. And this last part is very key to this method. I can also remove the excel from the equation and pretty much get the same results. Then this becomes a no chemical treatment. Another reason why I use it.
Last edited by puopg; 10-28-2013 at 11:04 PM.