I'm gonna give this a thread of its own instead of simply adding it to my planted vases because I like it that much already. I debated not posting this until the holidays are closer but I wanted to start the process now so the Fissidens has time to grow in properly and I wanted to keep track of the progress here.
I grabbed some extra plastic mesh that I had laying around and rolled it into a cone shape. I tied it together with some thread.
I filled a vase with maybe an inch of playsand and stuck a few osmocote+ pellets in there.
Then began the tedious process of attaching the Fissidens to the mesh cone. The Fissidens I had was in several chunks which made it more difficult than if it were all grown into itself in a sheet. The first couple chunks I tried just wrapping string around the cone. I found that it got pushed up towards the point and loosened though. So I broke out a needle and began threading through the mesh while wrapping to keep the string in place.
I did my best to attach it and had almost enough. It fell a little short from the bottom. So, I made it a bit longer on one side than the other, I figured I would mostly be viewing it from the front and not the sides or back. Hopefully the whole thing will grow in by the holidays though.
So I stuck it in the vase, burying the bottom of the mesh to prevent it from floating.
Added some little pebbles that I got from a craft store. Simply labeled River Pebbles. I couldn't tell you if they are inert or not but there won't be any stock so I figured it didn't matter too much.
I plan on adding some smaller plants around the base of the tree. I'm thinking some S. Repens, I'm not sure what else if anything though.