The Planted Tank Forum banner

1ft cube ohko rock

40K views 161 replies 60 participants last post by  bereninga 
#1 ·
Got a start on a new scape today heavy on ohko rock.

See less See more
#12 ·
I disagree with the comments about the rocks in the back looking too vertical.
I think this scape is going to look AMAZING once it's all planted, and those rocks in the back will add a great sense of depth! However, i would go light on the planting--maybe a small carpeting plant like HC or E. hydropiper-- and moss to fill in some of the spots between the rocks to really let the hardscape stand out.
Great start, really look forward to seeing this tank progress!

#16 ·
Thanks again for the feedback.

Actually I put some hc on the terrace today. I'll post a pic later. In the meantime this is what the tank used to look like (at it's best a few months ago). One extreme to the other.
I love the simplicity of what you had setup before with just a few rocks in the field look. I'm excited to see where you end up with your current build now that you're rebuilding the tank. I like the Ohko rock how you have it. It seems to give off a mountain like effect with the holes and edges. Keep up the good work and definitely keep up the updates! :D

#19 ·
The one-rock-cube looks nice in pictures, but I soon grew bored with it.

I traded most the hc for shrimp (you can't buy them in shops here) and put them in another tank. The remainder was added to the new scape yesterday.

Plant wise I think I've settled on hc (no more than what you see below), dwarf hg and mini pellia. Just those three. The foreground and path will be kept mostly bare.

#24 ·
Love the tank full of rock. Small clear suction cups could hold willow moss against the back wall. Could be placed 3/4 of the way up... may end up looking like clouds. Would not want plants to fill in that amazing hard scape too much, but with the eye you have for rock placement, I'm certain the finished product will look amazing. An incredible tank that I will want to see progress.

#25 ·
Love the tank full of rock. Small clear suction cups could hold willow moss against the back wall. Could be placed 3/4 of the way up... may end up looking like clouds. Would not want plants to fill in that amazing hard scape too much, but with the eye you have for rock placement, I'm certain the finished product will look amazing. An incredible tank that I will want to see progress.
Thanks!

I had over 15kg of rock, and I had pics of a couple scapes as inspiration up on the screen as I arranged and rearranged.

#31 ·
I did some work on this tank today. The back-right terrace of hc was a bit too low, you can barely see it in the pics. So i built it up with a bit more soil and replanted the hc. The mini pelia on the mesh towards the back-right is only temporary. Hopefully the newly replanted hc will grow in that direction and I can put the pellia in another tank or sell/trade it. I want the hc to wrap around as if it's going through the 2 central rocks. A non-existent tunnel.

#34 ·
I did a trade last week and scored some jungermannia pseudocyclop (aka rose moss). I'm really happy with it. It's ridiculously delicate looking. I put a little in this tank and the rest in my 2ft'er. Diatoms have made the rocks look nasty and brown atm, but the water conditions are good, the cycle only took a few weeks. I added an otto to help clean up. I'm also adding a few drops of weak glut every other day. So things should be sparkly clean in no time. There's good signs of mini pellia growth, but so far the dhg hasn't done anything.

#37 ·
Such a good looking HC Cuba carpet, drools. Your new scape looks great, I especially like the stone placement, it has a very large scale feeling to it. Very hard to do in a small tank, well for me anyways.

Can you tell us more about your stand? How much was it and where you get it?

#38 ·
Thanks flyinghellfish! The hc was planted 3 weeks ago, the growth has been good. 48w and 2bps. Give it another 3 weeks and I'll be able to trim and shape the mini pellia, looking forward to that.

The tank/stand/light combo is a CADE mini. It cost $350. From what I've heard, they are made in China, sent to Singapore then brought over to Australia. Only one store sells them here in Western Australia. The brand CADE (yes, it's spelt in capitals) has been in Australia for about 4 years now. They're essentially an ADA knockoff, but a good one; low iron, minimal silicone and unlike the ADA solar, the light swings back and forth. ADA is still pricey here (e.g. a 90-P costs $2234, and doesn't come with a stand). CADE is a little better than half the price, and their tanks come with a metal stand with glass panels. I have a 2ft CADE like this. Pretty cool imo.

#42 ·
Thanks flyinghellfish! The hc was planted 3 weeks ago, the growth has been good. 48w and 2bps. Give it another 3 weeks and I'll be able to trim and shape the mini pellia, looking forward to that.

The tank/stand/light combo is a CADE mini. It cost $350. .
That is a good price indeed, did the lights bulbs come in the package deal too?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.