Royal blue tiger canyon - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

WOW! That is a beautiful aquascape! I don't quite seem to have the patience or the eye to be able to come up with something this nice, yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Algae Grower

beautiful tank!
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Excellent skills!

temporary tanks for the time being...
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 09:51 PM
CPD
Planted Tank Obsessed

Amazing tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the kind words everyone! If you look back on my prior tanks, trust me they were far far far from stellar. I think the three biggest things with this tank were first and foremost having good materials to start with. I had 25# of seriyu to work with and a whole plethora of amazing pieces of manzanita from Mr. Barr. I have never had access to such good scaping materials before and it really made my vision come to life much easier. Second was taking my time piecing everything together, i have rushed all prior tanks and regretted it. Ive spent the past year slowly gathering all the best materials and equipment for this tank. Third is i had a few pictures of great tanks in front of me as i was doing it. I looked at the pictures and tried to use the best aspects from each.
Of course now that it is full of water i would change some things. When it was dry the left was my favorite. Now that it is flooded, the left side is too tall and really limits plantings. I almost wish i had just made the right side branchier and left the left side more flat, almost extending the valley. But it will be this way for the next year until it is time to move and i can redo it again. I really like the ever evolving manner of this tank and have the next year to plan how to make it better.
I am getting extremely antsy to get the royals in there. I just finished making some rodi. Going to switch the tank to 100%(or as close as possible)rodi today and will try some blondes tomorrow if parameters stay stable.
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 11:07 PM
Planted Tank Explorer

It's great to see a nicely scaped low-tech shrimp tank. Looking forward to future updates.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just a quick update. Threw in 6 oebt and 2 supreme red neos. All are doing well and params seem spot on to the other tank. Hc continues to spread like crazy and is out competing the algae that was growing in the valley. I really like the red lud on the right side, always like to add a little color and it is staying a beautiful red even in the lower light.

Cool looking oebt royal cross i found this morning. Really like the dark mottled spots on the light blue body. Pic made it look green but body is light blue.

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can not explain it but this tank just grows plants so well. Hc is in full bore now, almost totally out competed the hair algae and bga, only a few strands of hair left. Even the downoi is growing well. Red lud has a very nice red color even though it looks kinda orange in pics. All shrimp are doing great, may try adding a couple royal babies after water change this weekend. All params are spot on and seem to be staying mich more stable this go around.
FTS

HC

Downoi

Red lug

Random ludwigia i believe, collected in Elk Grove

Light is down to 25%

Last edited by Forumsnow; 11-23-2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Added pic
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This tank just keeps looking better and better. It's quickly becoming one of my favorites on this site, really awesome job! Cant wait to see it full of Royal Blues
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Planted Member

Awesome set up! I too am slowly gathering everything for my next tank! Now with the experience u get over time ur tanks will continue to get better! Subscribed!!!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the compliments. The only problem I am having is all the subwassertang never took off and just melted and died. So i will remove it all and once i move all the royals over i have a boat load of fissidens to add. There is already a few patches of fissidens in there now and i really like how it grows on the wood. Think I will stick christmas moss and fiss on the wood. I say in 2 months everything should be grown in and the tank should be running good. Just do my weekly water change and trim hc and gloss and all will be good. Hopefully the royals will resume breeding once i put them back in this tank. It's been almost 3 months and still no berries. Very frustrating as all look healthy are active and babies are growing great. Idk making me angry.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 02:22 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to krisvalkyrie Send a message via Yahoo to krisvalkyrie Send a message via Skype™ to krisvalkyrie
Lovely tank! I enjoy tanks that look like this, but can't seem to get them to look like that myself.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Having the materials and a vision are the only 2 things you need. Also do not rush the flood, do the scape and take a couple days to look at it. Trust, all my tanks before this were pretty terrible. Even now there are a dozen things i would have done differently lol.
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Did a small waterchange. Decided it was time to try a royal. Have about 30 babies so i figured i would try one out. Went right to foraging happy as can be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode