The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ravensgate's Tibee DB Breeding Project Tank!

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  cynsnn 
#1 · (Edited)
I've had this tank going since the first of July but thought I'd start a tank journal on it.

I set up this tank for some specific controlled tibee breeding projects. It's the Deep Blue Betta tank (think its about 2 1/2 gallons). The footprint on this tank is awesome for shrimp, 18 inches long. At any rate, pics of the tank. Decided to keep it simple so I can keep an eye on everything. Running a Toms Rapid mini canister on it that I've modified as well as an extra sponge filter. Over filtration but it works. Here is the tank when it started, it actually doesn't look a ton different except the moss has grown:) I wanted to keep this extremely simple so I could monitor all the inhabitants. As of right now, the males seem to be about breeding age, the females, though large are still not full grown (they are 10 months old right now but my adults are still larger than them, they are huge). They are close though, probably only 1-2 more molts before they should start saddling up (with any luck). I hope this tank brings me a lot of excitement in the next few months. I'm going into surgery in 3 days on the 15th. If all goes well I hope to add some more TBs (Blue bolts, and more). We shall see.

These are the inhabitants:)

My 3 tibees (F3 Generation super tiger x bumblebee)
Pretty sure this one is male. This pic is from a couple of months back, he was being elusive this evening.

And these are my two Taiwan boys

An older pic of my shadow panda guy from a month or so ago

These are my tibee girls, just two of them (just had a better pic of the one by herself) And yes, they have that blue-ish green tint on the head.

See less See more
#5 ·
It's a crapshoot really. Tibees are pretty unstable, takes a long time to stabilize a color and strain. Many run in to problems with sterile shrimp as well. I have probably 40 of them and the adults they came from. The parents of these looked quite a bit better, had more blue tones. Some of these have the blue tones some don't (and all are out of just 3 batches). I had one that had awesome white striping but lost him:( Basically I don't have anything right now that I would want to work with as far as color and pattern. So trying to change that. If I can get a few that have a look/pattern I want to work with then I will split off more tanks and try to work on development. Expecting to spend at least a couple of years trying to just get a starting point shrimp to work with:)

The shrimp you are talking about with the blueish tint to the white is a Taiwan Bee. A Shadow panda (some call them blue pandas I believe). Those you can buy. But if you breed shadow panda to shadow panda you might get any Taiwan bee (wine red, bkk, shadow panda, panda, etc) AFAIK. But you *can* get more that look just like the adults. Better chance with Taiwans of getting shrimp the same color and pattern. Tibees are a cross between bee shrimp (CBS/CRS/Golden/etc) with tiger shrimp (OEBT, BTOE, regular tiger, super tiger). A lot of folks don't fool with them because the # of possibilities as it can change based on female/male situation as well. As in the cross between a Golden female X male super tiger male might look entirely different than the result of a female super tiger X Golden male. And the babies from even one batch can vary in looks. Out of 80-90 babies I've had born most resemble each other. I've had maybe 4-5 out of those that stood out a looked a little different.

For this tank I want to shift out breeding pairs after each batch of babies is born, try other combinations and track the results. So once these females breed, I will probably swap out males. If I find another female in the main tank to use I'll move her. I don't ever want too many shrimp in this particular tank as it will be harder to track genetics. But I'll burn that bridge when I get there, gotta get this first group breeding first:icon_smil

#4 ·
The light was only on for photos. I don't keep a light on this tank:) It sits about 4 feet from a window so window light and room light is what it gets. Every now and again I put the light on so I can check everybody out a little better but other than that, just natural light on this tank:)

#6 ·
Today was my best shrimpment EVAR! My first blue bolts have arrived, two of them! Along with them came 3 BKK/shadows and 16 mischlings. Right now everyone is in the project tank with the other two Taiwans and 3 tibees. They are just juvies so as they grow I will decide who goes over to the main tibee tank and who stays in the project tank. Though I truly do see at least one more tank in my future if this gang does well:) I took a great pic tonight of several on a sponge filter but will have to wait til tomorrow to upload it But here are some pics I took after they settled into the tank.

#8 ·
shouldnt have came in here..

Now im sad :( I was some bolts and shadow pandas :( lol shrimpments haha.

I have nothing else to add here besides "great start!" and "Very nice" in my best Borat voice...

HAHA on the Borat! These are my first blue bolts ever and though I DO love them, gosh, the shadow pandas for some reason have more pull on me. I guess I just like the black and blue contrast.

#16 ·
SO late to this thread. Actually I am about to have great progress because my new tibee tank is about to be covered up with babies. I moved them out of the baby tank and put them in a 10 gallon with some CBS, Mischlings, OEBT, CRS, Goldens, TT hybrids and other tibees. I had a couple of blue bolts in there but they died before breeding took off. Hopefully I will be posting pics soon of some interesting babies:)

#17 ·
Hey Jaime, Here's are a few shrimp pics of some of the tibee I got from you last Oct that I managed to cross with some of my TB. The white one I got from you turned out to be a female and a couple of weeks ago just gave birth for the first time. The tibee from you breed non stop.

Attachments

#19 ·
Jayme, hi I've just have finished reading your thread/journals. I will place my order now for one of each of your colors/breeds! They are sooooo gorgeous and I'm very jealous of you having them and not me! lol :hihi::hihi: Can't wait till they are old enough for you to part with some of them. I'm very excited about possibly owning some from you! Keep me posted please! :icon_smil Cindy from Hartsville

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.