Under the lake, 25 gallon cube tank (A Betta Sorority) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have decided i'm going to do a re-scape, i'm just not satisfied with how it looks right now. I also have more plants to add so that should help. I'll post pictures when i'm finished.
When I get the scape right then I can finally start my fishless cycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by annyann View Post
No CO2, to be honest i'm very confused about what lighting i'm going to need. I got a thread posted in the lighting forum asking for recommendations.
This is a low tech tank and I plan to grow easy low light plants in it. So I just need to figure out what bulbs I can get on my budget that will fit under my canopy and achieve a good low/medium PAR for this tank.
I really like what you did with your drift wood selection. Lots of character there. I don't know what your budget is, but consider getting a Finnex fugeray or Finnex Ray2 LED light. They have a low profile, should fit inside your hood and put out plenty of light for what you want to do.
post #18 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntsg View Post
I really like what you did with your drift wood selection. Lots of character there. I don't know what your budget is, but consider getting a Finnex fugeray or Finnex Ray2 LED light. They have a low profile, should fit inside your hood and put out plenty of light for what you want to do.
Thanks, I will check into those lights but i'm on a fairly tight budget so that's holding me back from having a lot of choices.
post #19 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

what are the dimensions of the tank? and how tall is the hood above the top of the tank? What kind of lights are in the tank currently? I'd be glad to help with lighting if you can advise about those 3 questions...
post #20 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I found your other thread with the info and posted there...
Can anyone give me bulb recommendations? Please!

Last edited by rininger85; 10-16-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added link
post #21 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rininger85 View Post
I found your other thread with the info and posted there...
Can anyone give me bulb recommendations? Please!
Thanks I appreciate your help. We made a trip to Lowe's yesterday and got what we needed for just about $20 bucks.
We got a standard ceiling fixture, the kind that tee's out to hold two bulbs horizontally and a two pack of Sylvania CFL's that are 23 Watts and 6500K.
I posted a question in the lighting section asking what amount of light this should give me with my tank dimensions and acitydweller helped me figure out I should have a good medium light level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0021.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	223297  

Name:	101_0022.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	223305  

Name:	101_0024.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	223313  

post #22 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by annyann View Post
Thanks I appreciate your help. We made a trip to Lowe's yesterday and got what we needed for just about $20 bucks.
We got a standard ceiling fixture, the kind that tee's out to hold two bulbs horizontally and a two pack of Sylvania CFL's that are 23 Watts and 6500K.
I posted a question in the lighting section asking what amount of light this should give me with my tank dimensions and acitydweller helped me figure out I should have a good medium light level.
are you going to fashion some kind of reflector? I think this would be needed to direct the light where you want it.
post #23 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpalstunna View Post
are you going to fashion some kind of reflector? I think this would be needed to direct the light where you want it.
+1... what I think I'm going to do to add reflectors to my stock hood is go buy the stick-on replacement rearview mirror material from Wal-Mart / Meijer automotive department... they sell it to place on your external rearview mirrors in case they turn black or break or whatever, think its pretty inexpensive and will give a good reflective surface since its mirror finish...

Last edited by rininger85; 10-17-2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo
post #24 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
+1... what I think I'm going to do to add reflectors to my stock hood is go buy the stick-on replacement rearview mirror material from Wal-Mart / Meijer automotive department... they sell it to place on your external rearview mirrors in case they turn black or break or whatever, think its pretty inexpensive and will give a good reflective surface since its mirror finish...
That's a good idea, I'll check on that myself.
post #25 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okay so here are my lights. Right now i'm using the reflective side of aluminum foil as the reflective surface till I can check on getting some of that stick-on replacement rearview mirror material. I taped it to the underside of my canopy lid...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lights.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	223985  

Name:	inplace.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	223993  

post #26 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I also did my re-scape yesterday and started my fishless cycle. I poured a quarter of a small container of cheap fish food in a nylon bag and i'm floating it in the tank. Here is a pic of the re-scape. Im thinking it will look good when everything grows in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	donetank.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	224001  

post #27 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

how did you mount your lights? is that a piece of acrylic that its mounted to? I'm debating on changing how mine mount in my hood because they currently have the stock plastic piece under them as a splash guard, but it gets kind of nasty from water splashing / evaporation then condensation on the top of the guard... so I want to remove the guard but then I'm afraid the water will splash up in to the light sockets and short the lights / start a fire, so might have to build a custom mount in the hood...
post #28 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool tank! Have you considered using foil baking pans(used to bake bread) as a reflector? They're cheap and work pretty good. If you do run into heat issue with that light, I would suggest drilling some vent holes into your hood and maybe install a computer fan.
post #29 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
how did you mount your lights? is that a piece of acrylic that its mounted to? I'm debating on changing how mine mount in my hood because they currently have the stock plastic piece under them as a splash guard, but it gets kind of nasty from water splashing / evaporation then condensation on the top of the guard... so I want to remove the guard but then I'm afraid the water will splash up in to the light sockets and short the lights / start a fire, so might have to build a custom mount in the hood...
My tank has a glass lid and the lights are just sitting there on top of the glass. The fixture is not actually mounted at all. This doesn't look to nice, but the canopy covers it. Also my lid is tight fitting enough that there isn't any splashing. I will have to keep an eye on the fixture and look for any signs that condensation might be affecting it. For the last couple weeks the tank has been set up, there seems to be very little if any condensation accumulating under the canopy so far.
I have a five gallon tank that has the same light setup as yours, I would say you would need some kind of guard there in front of your light. I would want to have some type of guard on mine cause I would be worried, like you said it might short out or erode the fixture really quickly.
post #30 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

well I may just change it out to a custom built acrylic box instead of the stock splash guards because the stock splash guards are pretty thick too, I think I should be able to come up with a custom acrylic/Plexiglas guard that would be better than it is now and not as thick to not cause as large of a loss of light...

Tags
25 cube, betta sorority, creeping jenny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode