The ceramic co2 diffuser was irritating me, I can't stand bubbles all over the tank and it was noisy so yesterday I decided to rebuild and recommission an old Rex reactor.
I didn't think the injection through the brass barb was completely ideal so I placed two small o-rings around a roughly 1.5" long piece of co2 tubing, then super glued that on the inside part of the brass barb to extend the injection point to the center of the water flow inside the reactor. I found a can of "hammertone" Krylon Fusion at hobby lobby on clearance for three bucks, I think it turned out kind of nice.
I blasted hot water through the reactor with a python for an hour after letting the PVC glue and paint dry for two hours outside before hooking it up. I added activated carbon to the tank to absorb any acetone that may be leaching into the water, I also put some purigen in the filter the day before.. the stuff is amazing.
I also added four new Threadfin Rainbows, two male and two female, for a total of seven. The new ones are huge compared to the original batch. Two more ember tetras were also added to create a group of five.
Here's a shot of the tank in the daylight, the lights are off, I apologize for the nasty reflection.. even a circular polarizer wouldn't help. I removed some of the hydrocotyle on the sides, you can see the carbon bag on the right.
Took a few more pics of shrimp the other night, hand held with off camera flash.