bluecheese's 55 gallon - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was going to post an update with pictures and interesting quips, but I'm exhausted. I got a lot accomplished; plumbing has been completed. I set up the filter and am currently doing a test run. I'll try to update tomorrow when I don't feel like a crap burrito.

non ducor duco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

I like burritos. My family does not like when I eat them. Guess what has two thumbs and had a burrito today and is sleeping on the couch tonight?? This guy right here.....
post #33 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
I like burritos. My family does not like when I eat them. Guess what has two thumbs and had a burrito today and is sleeping on the couch tonight?? This guy right here.....
couldn't agree more ^^

I actually like the piece of wood on the right more. Having only 1 type of wood makes it all...umm.. less distracting? But that's just my personal taste. Looking forward to pics!
post #34 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 02:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

Interested to see how the aquatek turns out. Holding off on my purchase for your review. This is going to look great.
post #35 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
Of course you have thumbs. You couldn't hold the burrito without them.

non ducor duco
post #36 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update time, beeyotches!!!

Tuesday night I went to the gym.

BEEFCAAAAAKE!!!!!!!

That's right, that's a 415 pound deadlift. Its ok if you confuse me with Superman. Happens all the time. And let's face it, when you have a tank as badass as this one's gonna be, you have to be able to protect yourself.

Come at me bro. Do you even lift?

So I took off work on Wednesday to work on the tank. I normally bring my daughter school in the mornings. She asked me why I wasn't wearing a suit. I can't tell her that I took the day off because she'll whine and want to stay home with me, so I told her that I lost my job and that we'll have to sell the house. That'll teach her to ask questions..

I went to Lowes with a mission to get the plumbing pieced together. Took me about 2 hours. The plumbing section is a dang mess, and it was like a freakin' scavenger hunt. Anyway. I got everything I needed EXCEPT for a 1/2 inch male threaded to a 5/8 barb. The store only had one. So, I bought what I had pieced together, and headed for Home Depot. They didn't have it either... this must be the most popular piece of plumbing equipment in the city. I wound up at some crappy hardware store that looked like an Ace knockoff. The place didn't even have air conditioning, but it did have the barb. I bought it, and headed home for some plumbing lovin'.

I don't have pics of the build, but here it is after I put it together and hooked it to the filter

I filled the tank with water and got the filter started. Why is it so damn hard to prime a Fluval? Anyway, some shots of a tank full of water

There's an odd beauty to a tank full of nothing but water.

By that time, the wife and kid came home, and all Hell broke loose. I had to stop working on the tank, because my sweet little one wanted me to make her a stage so we could play finger puppets. I'm a grown man who can deadlift 500+ pounds, and I'll be damned if I let some little turd dictate stuff to me.. especially something as unmanly as finger puppets.

Just kidding

So last night, after work I broke open the two bags of Flourite and started rinsing them off. I drained the tank, added the substrate and filled it again

Still a little cloudy. I think this gravel with the gravel from the old tank should be enough. I want to start cycling, but its hard to find pure ammonia. Plus, you don't want to purchase a bunch of pipe bomb looking stuff and also start asking where the pure ammonia is.... I'll have to look this Sunday, as tomorrow is another LSU home game, so I'll be rockin' in Tiger Stadium.

A Day in the Life of bluecheese Tangent: A group of funeral directors came to my office today to open an account. It was the creepiest thing I ever had to do. It was like interviewing the Grim Reaper for a job. They all gave off that funeral home carnation smell. Like its not unpleasant, but you just know they do that to cover the corpse smell. I'm pretty sure my hand is covered in dead people germs after shaking hands with them. Gives me the willies. On the way home I could still smell carnations on my clothes. I guess I'll have to burn that suit.

Stuff left to do:

Find ammonia and start the cycle

Still need a co2 tank. I still have time on that though

Figure out hard scape. I was thinking of moving the big piece over to the right side, and the amorphous branch thing to the left. Not sure why, but it makes me feel artistic.

Once the tank is cycled and the hardscape is complete, I'll be moving my fish to a ten gallon that I'll be cycling. I'll have to remove all plants, put them in a safe place. Move substrate to new tank. Plant the plants. Move fish to new tank.

non ducor duco
post #37 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

I bought my ammonia from Ace hardware, worked just fine.

I've also opened accounts for funeral homes. Weird is an understatement. It's almost as if you can see the black cloud coming in the office before they walk in. Tank is looking great, I think the finger puppet stage takes the cake though.
post #38 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 05:09 PM

Are we going to see any pix of Bluecheese benchpressing his 55 gallon tank?
post #39 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassercom View Post
Are we going to see any pix of Bluecheese benchpressing his 55 gallon tank?
Pfffft. I got enough women troubles. I start posting pics of my bench press, I'll have the honeys beating down my door.

non ducor duco
post #40 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Last night I was going to work on the hard scape. I got a bunch of wood that's been soaking in an old crawfish pot and put it in the tank. When I was ready to start working on this, my daughter, love of my life, asked me to play My Little Pony with her. She pretended to be Twilight Sparkle, while I was Big Macintosh (Applejack's older brother, duh).

I hope to work on the hardscape tonight and post some pics. We'll see if the family lets me.

non ducor duco
post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So I think I have a general idea of how I want the hardscape to look

The water's a little cloudy from me moving substrate around, and what not. I guess I'm trying to make it look like an old, uprooted tree. The right side being roots and the left being branches.

In this next picture I added another branch towards the middle of the big log

Not sure which one I like better. The branches will be better organized once I figure out a way to anchor them better. Right now they're just leaning on each other and the glass. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Here's some close ups:

I don't know why this one is sideways. Damn imageshack giving me fits

I would really appreciate some thoughts on this. As I'm the least imaginative person I know, and the hardscape has been giving me fits all week.

non ducor duco
post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish
I approve all of it. I like the added branch. Lots of Java Fern & Anubias potential.
post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 03:37 AM
Algae Grower

Wow awesome hardscape!

Looking forward to more.
post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 03:39 AM
Planted Member

That's some nice wood, but some may argue it's too long... ... ...... .............

I think you could add a really nice dynamic if you shoved it to the bottom of the tank and let substrate fall over it naturally, so some areas would be buried, some partialy buried, some sticking out at random. It would just make it seem like the wood belonged, rather than being thrown on top.

I also don't care for the color of the substrate, but that's probably just in my head since it's not planted yet.

And if you can, could you see what it looks like with the right end as close to the front glass as possible, with the left end being as far as possible? (without breaking it up of course).

People are too often merely stating an assumed truth from flawed observation.
post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 06:04 AM
Algae Grower

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode