The Planted Tank Forum banner

"erupt"

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  marioman72 
#1 ·
This is my rescape of my 20g and with it a new dedicated thread! i wanted to go a completely different root then i normally go with this scape. i always make the tank super filled with ether hardscape or plants but this time i took a simplified root inspired by seeing scapes from japan and around the world in the iaplc competitions. my main inspiration was a tank designed by james findley called natures chaos. i wanted to use a similar concept of an erupting volcano. so in turn its not yet visible but i use rotala colorata along the entire back of the rocks all of which are hiding right now and in due time ill form into a dense bush. in the center of the larger rocks i used rotala wenditii for its super bright red and "erupting" qualities witch i plan to let grow super long and spread across the surface of the aquarium. lastly i used java moss and hydrocotyle in combination to fill in the remaining gaps in the mountain witch will be properly trimmed to keep the peaks visible. and of course my glosso carpet i had saved from the previous scape witch is going to work perfectly with this set up! in the end this is probably the most excited Ive ever been to see a tank grow and see were it takes me! anyways enough babbling heres the most important part pictures!

_DSC8765 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC8767 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC8768 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC8769 by marioman72, on Flickr

heres a top veiw you can kind of see the rottala in the back and stuff

_DSC8770 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC8771 by marioman72, on Flickr

See less See more
#7 ·
so heres a new update! its been a while since i posted up and the tank has grown in quite a bit! added in some wood from my old scape and it really pulled everything together a little bit more. i have been regularly trimming and trying to form the rottala into a nice smooth bush in the back there! hopefully soon and any suggestion on some new fish getting rid of the sunset platies and moving them to a breeding tank! any suggestions welcomed! thinking about adding a couple of rams get a little group going duno yet

_DSC9206 by marioman72, on Flickr

_DSC9207 by marioman72, on Flickr

#11 ·
What light and how far from water? Nice tank!

Its a coralife 30" t5 with two 24watt bulbs. Not sure on exact height from the water but its around 6in or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beautiful scape, so detailed and complex. I wish I could get glosso to grow

its not to hard you just need very high light and a little co2 but once it gets going it takes off. The best way ive found is if u start by planting a lot of nodes right off the bat and it fills in much more evenly

Looks really good. I think it may be a good idea to get rid of the sunset platies like you said. In this type of scape, their behavior makes the tank look really "busy", even though they are very attractive. I love Guppies, for example, but never put them in a tank that not stem dominated because they just go everywhere. I would add more neons/cardinals (can't tell) and leave it at that. It will allow the scape to really become the focal point, while still having activity from

I did this just after I poster the last post I moved the breeding group to their own tank and now I have a small school of my green neons and some ember tetras witch look much more uniform

did a good trim today and pulled out the pieces of wood now that the plants have grown in very nice im thinking if doing a restart in the near future not sure how im liking tjis lay out.

#10 ·
Looks really good. I think it may be a good idea to get rid of the sunset platies like you said. In this type of scape, their behavior makes the tank look really "busy", even though they are very attractive. I love Guppies, for example, but never put them in a tank that not stem dominated because they just go everywhere. I would add more neons/cardinals (can't tell) and leave it at that. It will allow the scape to really become the focal point, while still having activity from attractive fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.