CPD's House 135 Gal ( 510L); 67" (170cm) long - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

CPD's House 135 Gal ( 510L); 67" (170cm) long

Pic taken on 12/14/2013

Hello Everybody.
Finally after long time of admiring most of your tanks it is time now to start my journal and present process of setting up my tank.
I do hope that in this thread you will give me some useful advices and help me to setup my dream tank.
I know that for some of you size of my new
bathtank is nothing special, but for me, who owns 6g, 8g and ~40g it is a huge step forward.

So let me start with some technical specs.

Tank (!)
- 135 US gal ( or 510L in metric system)
- 67" x 20" x 23.7"h inch ( 170cm x 50cm x 60cm h)
- Front glass is opti white.
- black silicon finish
- ordered in Seahorse Aquariums ( Dub, IE)

Stand (!)
- DIY project from A to Z
- 67.3", 171cm long, 33" high ( 83cm)
- Front panels and door from IKEA to match other furniture colour
- location - living room

Lightning (!)
- Giesemann Infiniti 3x150W hqi + 4x80W T5
Filtration
- Tetra tec ex700 ( from old tank)
- JBL e1501 greenline
-glass input and output lilly pipesto both filters.
CO2(!)
- 1.84gal, 7L pressurized co2 bottle + inline pipe difussor connected to the filtrer ( it lasted for over2 years in my 40g tank)

Substrate(!)
- JBL Manado
- ADA Amazonia soil
- Aqua Substrate II soil

Decorations(!)
- Few large pieces of Mangrove driftwood
- 50lb of stone ( similar to ADA stone)

Plants(?)

mosses, hc, glosso

My tank is going to be a house for large school of CPDs ( I have them in my 40g, and I'm breeding them successfully for the last 2 years.
It will be also a house for my over 200 RCs shrimps.

I'm open on suggestions on 2nd school of small, but colorful fish that will swim in upper section of tank.

I plan to have also 15 pygma corrys on the bottom and Ottocincus as cleaning crew.

Landscaping
It is not easy for me whose English is not a native language to describe in details How exactly it is going to look like. Anyway - on the back - long grass from left to right, then hemanthius on the left side of tank ( 30" ), then 2 mountains made of stones and driftwood bridge between them, and jungle on the right. mountains and driftwood and space under the bridge will be occupied by mosses, right side -long plants but not sure yet what.

Why?
I always wanted to have a short grass in the tank, and just few stones. The problem is that I can't grow out from my Celestial Pearl Danios and they need heavily planted tank, so i decided to do a small mix of 3 different landscapings.
New tank is quite high, so maybe in the future I'll move to something bigger.

Pics time.
Mitre Saw was best thing to hire

DIY cabinet

DIY cabinet

Almost ready - just some front panels missing.

Hurrraay
My tank is almost ready. I specially drove today to have a look at this.

I'll have updates soon - matter of 2-3 days.

Last edited by CaptainSlow; 12-15-2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: New pic added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

135 gallons worth of CPDs and shrimp!? You have my attention.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Everything looks really nice. The stand is well done and appears to be quite sturdy.

As far as the other fish goes, I would recommend waiting until the plants have grown all the way in so you can see what it looks like before adding fish. That way you can choose a species that compliments both the CPD and plants.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Aquatic Gardeners Association
Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpappy789 View Post
135 gallons worth of CPDs and shrimp!? You have my attention.

I know it is a bit crazy to have so large ( small for Phil Edwards) tank with tiny fish, but i simply don't like large fish in a tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Everything looks really nice. The stand is well done and appears to be quite sturdy.

As far as the other fish goes, I would recommend waiting until the plants have grown all the way in so you can see what it looks like before adding fish. That way you can choose a species that compliments both the CPD and plants.
Stand is quite sturdy - it has 17 studs, so I think there will be about 90 LB load per one stud. Also studs are about 1 foot from each other at max. Just in case I'm going to screw it to the back concrete wall once tank settle down under full load ( leaving some small space for movement).

It will take me some time before I put in first fish - I want to start with dsm on hemanthius and mosses ( 6 weeks) then I will add long grass and larger plants and fill water. so another 4-5 weeks before tank become stabile - and then in late November I will move there fish from my 40g and remove that 40g tank.

Question on dsm and driftwood - how to prevent driftwood from covering with white sh&*% once it will be in high humidity environment for a long time ?

Last edited by CaptainSlow; 08-28-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: wrong words
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

3 days are gone and still no tank... You know that feeling when you are waiting to start work on your tank and you can't ?
I feel bad. Can't wait. They told me yesterday it will be ready next Tuesday September 3rd...

On the other side I still can't find 5 foot long lighting unit. New are very expensive in europe there is nothing on ebay etc at the moment.
I'm also missing one filter and external hydor heating, but there is no rush on these as I plan to start dsm.

I'm going to take number of pictures today with different landscaping ideas. I hope you will help me to choose the best one. :-)
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

for a project this sized, fabricate your own led setup!
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I want to have a lot of hemanthius and glossosygmia on the bottom. Tank is 2 feet high. I read good few times that led won't be good for this height of tank? Is there any good thread on this on plantedtank forum?
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, these are my first concepts of layout.
One thing that won't change is left side - low flat with hemanthius. On the back long grass.
Please help to choose and share your thoughts.

1)

2)

3)

4)
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><
All the above 'scapes look great, tough choice... though I have to say my favorite is #4!

Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Algae Grower

I'm not an expert but I would move my stuff forward. Then that gives you planting room in the back. But if that's not what you're going for ignore me!

Kim
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree, number 4 looks good. I like diy, much more fun and rewarding. I built my stand for a 40 gallon breeder, and Im happy with the way it came out. I think I spent about $50 for everything. Do you think your stand and fish tank came out cheaper, then buying them from lets say from petsmart. I was considering trying my hand at a diy fish tank.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

3 looks the best to me

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
I want to have a lot of hemanthius and glossosygmia on the bottom. Tank is 2 feet high. I read good few times that led won't be good for this height of tank? Is there any good thread on this on plantedtank forum?
LED's are plenty powerful enough to penetrate a 2ft deep tank. I have a fixture hanging over a foot above a 2 ft tall tank and it gives up to 90 PAR at the substrate. If I wanted to, I could fit 4-5 times as many LED's on the same heatsink. As for spread, it's very much adjustable by using different optics and raising/lowering the light height.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimboden View Post
I'm not an expert but I would move my stuff forward. Then that gives you planting room in the back. But if that's not what you're going for ignore me!

Kim
Hi Kim
I will move it forward a bit, especially right corner. There will be a plenty of long plants. Middle will move forward about 5cm. It is on the back now as wall give some support to the driftwood.

@Andrewq
Diy is very expensive in Ireland. I spent 100 euro on front oak door and panels
And about 70euro on plywood and timber.
If I went to the carpenter or shop I would have to pay at least 500 euro or 650$ for this size cabinet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode