My first Iwagumi with stonehenge look: 20G Seaclear LowTech DHG only acrylic tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My first Iwagumi with stonehenge look: 20G Seaclear LowTech DHG only acrylic tank

This is my first attempt at an iwagumi style setup, to keep it simple i am just going to use dwarf hair grass in a low tech setup.

Equipment: going for a clean setup with min equipments visible, the tunze filter is much bigger than expected but will have to do, as it holds the heater as well and will be the only equipment in my tank. It is german made and extremely powerful rated for up to 75 gallons at 220 gph, i turned it down to 140 gph for my 20 gallon tank and it is still too much i think, but will leave it for now.

1) 24x12x16" H Seaclear acrylic tank (rimless but with a central bracing)

2) Tunze Comline 3162 internal filter

3) 75W Eheim Jäger heater (fits inside the internal filter)

4) Current-USA Satellite Freshwater 24" LED+ fixture

5) 1 bag of Aquasoil amazonia

6) 3ml daily Excel dosing

7) Dwarf hair grass

8) Seiryu stones

DAY 1: Hoping i am doing this correctly, i cut the dwarf hairgrass down to 1 inches before planting them with a tweezer, also planted a few uncut just in case i am doing it wrong. Those dhg have buds on top of the blade which from my understanding means they were grown emersed even though i specifically ask the seller who told me they were grown submersed for a month.

The ada aquasoil is extremely mess with tiny pieces of woods floating all over the top and dirt all over the acrylic tank they seem to stick to the acrylic panels. A lot more difficult than eco complete to deal with

DAY 3: Nothing has happened, no growth nothing, i am doing 8 hour lights and 3ml daily excel dosing. Little worried the lighting might be too low but all the reviews said the current usa led+ gives off enough for dhg at 14" depth

hope for some growth soon, any advice/comment will be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

try dosing dry ferts. they are a great investment and are cheaper then the liquid versions big companies sell.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

DAY 15: Daily 3ML excel dosing + weekly 10% water change, nothing else was done.

Good:
-Very happy overall, zero signs of algae, crystal clear water, this is so much better than my previous high tech setup with constant algae issues / cleanup. I literally do no work right now other than what's mentioned above. I give a lot of credit to the current-usa led+, i think it gives just enough light as to not cause algae.

-Dhg is definitely growing can see runners scattered around tank.

Bad:
-Progress is extremely slow, i understand dhg expands slowly but this is really a test of patience. However given things are moving (slowly) and no algae issue, i will just leave it alone and continue to dose 3m excel and nothing else.

Below are the latest photos, it's difficult to take them with see-thru on both sides instead of black background, but the tank is really crystal clear even though the photo doesnt quite show it that way with all the reflections.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 01:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

would look better with hc
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 02:20 AM
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

DHG in my dirted tank with a sand cap and medium high light totally carpeted in three weeks.

In Amazonia type substrate, with medium low light, it is going very slowly. It seems to like a finer grained substrate.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is gonna look awesome when filled in. The easter island stones match the other rocks really well. If you trim the HG shorter it should promote new/faster growth.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 04:15 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to glndrifts Send a message via Yahoo to glndrifts
This looks like a really nice start. If I had a tank in front of my sink, I might be washing dishes for hours.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So i was planning to start adding some cherry red shrimps to the tank and did a water test for the first time and could NOT believe the results!!

I was expecting 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and some nitrate after 2+ weeks but as you can see in the photo below, both ammonia and nitrite are off the charts with some nitrate.

How is that possible? i have no livestock in the tank and the only thing i have been adding is excel. Where did such high amount of ammonia come from? Is it from ada aquasoil? or decayed dwarf hairgrass?

i am assuming nitrite is from the good bacteria converting ammonia, and there isnt enough yet to convert all to nitrate. This water param is horrible, good thing i did a test before introducing those shrimps to their death.

also another assumption - those water params are great for dhg? just not livestock?

i will retest again in 2 weeks hopefully things will look better.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool tank! The ammonia is coming from the aquasoil.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My dhg... Took 2-3 weeks to start growing... And it kept growing. Eventually I needed c02 to keep up and it made beautiful thick strands of grass..

Finnex member #14
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrr89 View Post
My dhg... Took 2-3 weeks to start growing... And it kept growing. Eventually I needed c02 to keep up and it made beautiful thick strands of grass..
Hi can you explain a bit more why pressurized co2 was needed if dhg was already growing without it.

I am hoping to stop excel dosing eventually and avoid adding co2 altogether, as the tank is on a kitchen counter and my wife wont be very happy if i put a giant co2 canister next to it with wires going everywhere. Already took some convincing keeping the tank there
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

DAY 28:

1) Well I tried but resistance is futile...it's obvious by now i will never get a lush thick dhg carpet by only dosing excel, sure there are plenty of growth/progress but i just dont think a full carpet will happen.

2) So this will be a good experiment on DHG as it's pretty well controlled: Day 1 - 28 nothing but 3ml daily excel. Day 28 onwards nothing but pressurized co2 at 1.25 bubble/sec + still dosing same 3ml daily excel. It will be interesting to see how much impact adding pressurized co2 has on the dhg, i am excited.

3) You can see in the photos i setup a 5lb co2 tank on the kitchen counter with aquatek co2 regulator, the output i just stuffed all the way into the tunze internal filter - the perfect reactor with strong waterflow going downward, and all the filter media breaking up the co2 bubble, not to mention a cover on top to prevent co2 escaping. My dissolving rate should be 100%. I will get a timer later, for now it runs 24/7 as i have no fish it doesnt matter.

Good thing my wife is awesome and doesnt care i have a co2 tank on the kitchen counter lol

4) I am not going to trim the dhg, i noticed all the hairgrass i trimmed start to turn brown (or it could still be the emersed version dieing off), either way i will not touch it. All the new runner/growth appears to be health.

5) Tank now appeared to be cycled, see the water test photo compared to previous. I noticed a bit bba on the rocks/statue but nothing major.

That's all for now, i will report back again in 2-3 weeks to see how much difference pressurized co2 makes on dhg without changing any other tank parameter.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

DAY 37:

Well this tank is going NOWHERE, the dwarf hairgrass are not growing much less carpet. I am thinking of pulling everything out and use some different plants.

I have gone full co2, dosing k and flourish, aquasoil, and nitrate is also very high. Yet plant is barely growing and a lot of brown/dead hairgrass.

JUST DONT UNDERSTAND!! quite annoyed....

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 12:48 AM
Planted Member

Its important to trim your grass to encourage more shoots. Its very very slow at first, especially with how little you started with. I think more light would also help, but this gets really tricky when you have so little plant mass.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You are not dosing micro's, they are very important. Buy some CSM+B
You should be dosing, NPK and Micro's at least. What is your GH and KH?
I'd do a big water change and bring down the Nitrate level a bit it's sky high.
Your Nitrate dosing is overboard for what is actually being used.
How many pots or DHG did you plant in this tank? Plant more densely if you want instant results.

And again, promoting new growth requires trimming. I said this a few weeks ago, you took my advice and trimmed a few sprigs but not much. Apparently that trimmed section died? or Browned? They plants don't seem to have enough nutrients that's my guess.

Also I am a bit skeptical about the satellite Led's for now. I feel like they aren't being promoted for plant growth at all but rather just freshwater Led's that are bright and have many RGB features. For us planted tank enthusiasts we immediately got excited with the idea of being able to control RGB separately. I've even debated about buying this fixture for my medium light moss shrimp tank. I am curious to find out the PUR ratings for the LED's used in this fixture.

Check out this article I find very informative when choosing plant lights.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts...._lighting.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode