13.3 Bow Front Sort of Kind of Wannabe Dutch ;) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

13.3 Bow Front Sort of Kind of Wannabe Dutch ;)

Tank as of 10/1/13:

This tank has been up and running for about a month now, but figured I'd start documenting the progression here.

This is a 13.3 gallon Mr. Aqua rimless tank. It is my first rimless tank and I am very happy with it so far, although now reading around on here I wish I would have looked into the truaqua tanks before I bought this.

Current fauna is a single female betta, who was a teeny tiny baby betta when I bought her, and two horned nerite snails. I haven't decided if I will try to add anything else to the tank or not yet.

Lighting: 48 watt t5ho zoo med light (really not a fan of this light, I am planning to get something new at some point)
Ferts: Following standard EI dosing
Co2: Currently using a 95g upaqua co2 kit while I save up for a real regulator. Seems to be working fine for this tank so far.
Substrate: ADA aquasoil Amazonian (my first tank with this substrate, I love it!)
Flora: HC, HM, downoi (pogostemon helfiri), syngonathus sp. Belem, ludwigia sp. atlantis, tonina sp. fluviatilis, rotala sp. nanjenshan, rotala sp. singaore, rotala sp. wallichi, alternanthera reineckii sp. variegated, staurogyne repens, star grass, limnophila aquatica

If you can't tell from the lay out I am absolutely enamored with Dutch style aquascapes.... I know this isn't a very popular style anymore, but I really love the neat rows and hedges and contrast of colors and leaf shape. While this is in no way a true Dutch aquascape, that is certainly my inspiration for some of the design I hope to some day have a tank large enough to do a 'real' Dutch tank.

Here's the progression so far:

7/23/13 growing things out

7/24/13 time for a trim

8/4/13

8/18/13 - I have added duckweed last week after a nasty algae outbreak (which I am still dealing with) Hoping the duckweed cuts down the light a bit and makes things more manageable.

I am open to any comments or suggestions! Thanks for looking!

Last edited by tithra; 10-02-2013 at 12:20 AM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Algae Grower

Hope things get back on track, look forward to see this all grow in
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 PM
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is gorgeous! Dutch tanks are great stuff, even when quasi-Ditch.

How is the tonina? Love how it looks, but it seems kind of fussy.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_mcknight View Post
Hope things get back on track, look forward to see this all grow in
thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
This is gorgeous! Dutch tanks are great stuff, even when quasi-Ditch.

How is the tonina? Love how it looks, but it seems kind of fussy.
thanks so much!
The tonina is doing absolutely awesome so far, I forgot to say thank you to hedge_fund for those! I have only had them for a little under 2 weeks maybe but they seem to be thriving so far. This is my first attempt at keeping plants that are a little more 'difficult' so I have my fingers crossed
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

I like it! Can't wait to see it grow in
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 11:32 PM
Algae Grower

Really like your choice of plants. Nice!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 04:29 AM
Planted Member

How is the Tonina doing? I've wanted to try this plant for quite some time, but I'm afraid to. Haha.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by keats View Post
How is the Tonina doing? I've wanted to try this plant for quite some time, but I'm afraid to. Haha.
The tonina is doing great so far, but I've only had it for about two weeks. I figure its a good sign that it still looks just as healthy as when I planted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Updated pictures!

The duckweed blocked too much light and my rotala wallichi and limnophila aquatica started growing really leggy. I have removed some of the duckweed and things are doing better. I am planning to try some screen on my fixture to try cutting the light a bit but haven't gotten around to it.

Added some amanos (from msjinxd here... I think I am spelling her username wrong) they are doing well after swapping out my more aggressive female for one of my more docile ones They have done a fantastic job cleaning up any algae in the HC!

anyway, pics:

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 12:46 AM
Planted Member

I think it looks great but could use some color. Maybe Rotala Macrandra, Ludwigia inclinata var. Panatal? Just something to really pop at you.

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by keats View Post
I think it looks great but could use some color. Maybe Rotala Macrandra, Ludwigia inclinata var. Panatal? Just something to really pop at you.
Thank you for the suggestion!

I was hoping the ludwigia atlantis, rotala singapore, and rotala wallichi would color up nicely and provide some color in the tank, but since adding the duckweed they have all lost some color.

I considered getting some rotala macranda, but I worry about my ability to keep it alive.... although my tonina is doing good so maybe I shouldn't worry so much about that.

I have some limnophila aromatica and some ludwigia glandulosa coming this week for another tank.... I could throw some of those in this tank. Maybe the ludwigia? Back right corner in place of the ludwigia atlantis maybe?

Sorry for rambling, just thinking out loud here. I appreciate the critique. I may look into getting some macranda.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankYouVeryMuch View Post
Everything looks top notch! Veddy nice
thank you!
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 03:12 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tithra View Post
Thank you for the suggestion!

I was hoping the ludwigia atlantis, rotala singapore, and rotala wallichi would color up nicely and provide some color in the tank, but since adding the duckweed they have all lost some color.

I considered getting some rotala macranda, but I worry about my ability to keep it alive.... although my tonina is doing good so maybe I shouldn't worry so much about that.

I have some limnophila aromatica and some ludwigia glandulosa coming this week for another tank.... I could throw some of those in this tank. Maybe the ludwigia? Back right corner in place of the ludwigia atlantis maybe?

Sorry for rambling, just thinking out loud here. I appreciate the critique. I may look into getting some macranda.
Don't worry about the rambling! I do it too. Once that duck weed is gone they all should color up more. I think if you're keeping that Tonina alive you should be fine with the Macrandra. I think the glandulosa would be awesome in place of the Atlantis!

PS: Ive been watching your YouTube videos for a long time, and next time you have to trim that Tonina and want to sell it or give it away, shoot me a PM (;

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode