5ft tank journal - pic heavy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
JKS
Algae Grower

5ft tank journal - pic heavy

Hi everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Introduction to me, I am a 28 year old Aussie girl who has kept fish most of my life. Starting out with of course the poor goldfish in the too small tank. The last set up was a 6ft with discus.

I got out of the hobby for 2 years, but once that bug has bitten you can’t get away from it.

For my birthday dear old dad brought me a 5ft tank with sump. Thanks dad!!

The scariest bit was I had to drive the tank from the shop to mine which was over 6 hours away, every little bump made my heart JUMP!

I must admit I did get the inspiration for this tank from one of the amazing ones on here

Tank and stuff spec's
5ft tank
sump filtration
washed riversand substrate
3 T8 tube lighting - Currently being upgraded to LED's
co2 will be added soon
root tabs and liquid ferts

Fish
Fingers crossed Discus and possibly a school of rummy nose tetras?

Plants
Needle leaf java fern
lilaeopsis
I have also brought 2 swords but they are just too big so may have to swap them out for a crypt?

This will be the first time I actually try and make a tank look good, so wish me luck!!!

Some pics.. of course, everyone loves pics

Sump it's actually 2 plastic tubs joined together

Tank and stand

Goldvine

I very slowly filled the tank, the water was almost perfect, but of course stupid me forgot to point the outlet in a different direction

A few days later nice and clear

The pots of lilaeopsis were meant to turn up early this week, but the lfs here is useless at the best of times so if I am lucky maybe next week it will be a bit more green.

Sorry if I have rambled a bit, but thanks for taking the time to read the start to my journey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking tank and stand. Your scape should look nice with the wood and those swords don't look to be to big. I would place them in the back corner behind the wood. Then let your scape flow out to the left with some medium sized crypts and shorter ground cover.
Have look here for inspiration The 6 Foot Plus Club and feel free to join.

125g makeover ,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join---> The 6 Foot Plus Club

post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
JKS
Algae Grower

Thanks for the welcome and the compliment

The swords width span is close to 45cm so they are quite large, I haven't planted them as yet as I was waiting on some root tabs and I also want to add some more sand in that area.

I don't think I qualify for the thread, mines only 5ft hahaha. I did have a quick look at that thread tonight, going back to have a bit more of a look though.
post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Anything over 100g is welcome to join. The name is still in limbo as more 5ft tall tanks show up
You could send those swords my way LOL

125g makeover ,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long

Last edited by sadchevy; 08-10-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: added comment
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
JKS
Algae Grower

Well when I get all the plants I will definitely join in

If were in the same country I may have considered it lol.... Your a long way from my house
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
JKS
Algae Grower

I forgot to put in some pics of the LED build

post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, you're one lucky girl, that's a great looking setup! I'm particularly interested in your sump and lighting. Could you take some close up shots of the filter in action?

I agree with sadchevy, those swords aren't too big (for now). Getting those babies planted and sucking up nutrients would be a good thing. Swapping them out later's always an option, neh? Besides, big swords are worth more in trade.

Are you going to fertilize solely through root tabs? What about CO2, how're you going to add that?

Cheers,
Phil

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Aquatic Gardeners Association
Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice tank and led build.

What kind of wood is that? where do you get it?
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Planted Member

Amazing tank. I am jealous.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #462: Eheim 2213/2215
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
JKS
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Wow, you're one lucky girl, that's a great looking setup! I'm particularly interested in your sump and lighting. Could you take some close up shots of the filter in action?

I agree with sadchevy, those swords aren't too big (for now). Getting those babies planted and sucking up nutrients would be a good thing. Swapping them out later's always an option, neh? Besides, big swords are worth more in trade.

Are you going to fertilize solely through root tabs? What about CO2, how're you going to add that?

Cheers,
Phil
Hi Phil,

thanks for the kind words

I Will take some pics for you today for the sump, I do need to get more media for it, mainly filter pads.

Ok you have made me cave haha, I will plant the swords today and post some updated pics.

I will be adding co2 in the near future, I will have it plumbed into the return line from the sump, I will no doubt have to run it at a higher bubble per second as I will loose some from the sump. I am also dosing liquid ferts.

Quote:
Nice tank and led build.

What kind of wood is that? where do you get it?
Thanks It's gold vine, I brought it at a lfs in Melbourne, 600klms away from me. Currently it is being held down by a rock, I am hoping I can remove the rock today.

Quote:
Amazing tank. I am jealous.

Thank you
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
JKS
Algae Grower

Here are some pics of the sump as requested

I also added more sand this morning, and the clay root tabs. I have planted one of the swords. Do you guys think I should add the other one if front or should I plant something else there?

post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
JKS
Algae Grower

a bit better front on pic

post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looking good JKS. I'd move the left side java fern more to the front left of the wood,maybe stuck down between the roots. Plant the other sword where the java was. Then maybe a mix of Bacopa and Ludwigia Repens along the back. In the foreground area I'd go with a mix of crypt parva and E. Tellinus. I love big tanks, it's nice to see how these tall tanks come together.

post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
JKS
Algae Grower

Hi Sadchevy

Sorry for the late reply, I will take all you have said into consideration. The carpet plant will be lilaeposis. Fingers crossed it will turn up this week from my lfs, if it's not here by Friday I will be cancelling my order and buying online again. If you look close on the right hand side, I have started planting the 1 pot she had in stock at the time
post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
JKS
Algae Grower

Well the carpet it planted I need 1 to 2 more pots and the carpet will be done

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode