The Planted Tank Forum banner

My Aquerium Rack/Collection of Tanks! New Discus are in!!!

72K views 340 replies 82 participants last post by  cube860 
#1 · (Edited)
Well heres a journal I want to start on my collection of tanks. Recently got most of them and dont want to make journals for each one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

First off heres the picture of the rack itself with the tanks on them!

And now for the rundown of the tanks!

Heres my 55 gallon, its actually not on the rack but hey Im still going to include it in this journal. I recently rescaped this so the water is still a bit murky/there might be a mini cycle going on. I plan on buying 5 of Altums and putting them in here, do you guys think a 55 would be too small for them? Also upgrading the lighting to a Current LED+ should come sometime next week!

This is my very recent (got the plants/pants today thanks to Hydrophyte) 10 gallon riparium. Plan to have 1 maybe 2 Hillstream loaches, would a 10 gallon be too small for them? If so I will just put some corys in it instead.

Here my 1 week old 6 gallon tank. Plan on either putting 6 Harlequin Rasbora in here or 6 Neon tetras what do you guys think would be better? Also some tiger shrimps if I could find any locally.

This is a 20 gallon tank. Plan on putting a school of 15 Cardinal Tetras in here, any other suggestions?

This is my 1.5 gallon tank. Thinking of putting some CBS in here if I could find any locally, and also some Chili Rasboras. Would a 1.5galon tank be too small for 5 Rasboras?

Heres an old picture of my 10 gallon when it looked nice...The HC is overridden with Cladophora so I will probably toss it out and replant it with UG. It currently houses ~14 CPDs and a TON of Cherry Shrimp

Here also an old picture of my 10 gallon when it looked nice...It is has a case of Cyanobacteria so I will probably tear it down and clean everything. It houses my favorite fish my Dwarf Puffer!!! It lives with two amanos peacefully :red_mouth

Heres my 5 gallon tank. I will probably redo this scape because I just dont like it how it is now...If the Chili Rasboras dont fit in my 1.5 gallon tank I will put them in here, along with a few CRS possibly.

I still have one more 1.5 gallon that I have scaped allready but the lights and filter still need to come in so I will update later!

Lastly here are some random photos I took for fun! (not very good with camera)

See less See more
#2 ·
Dang! You have been busy scaping all these tanks in such a short time period! This looks like it is going to be quite a bit to keep up with.

They all look good and healthy. Each has a unique character.

The only input I have is rasboras espei > rasboras harlequin ime. Stays smaller, more colorful, and schools tighter. Maybe slightly more sensitive to water quality.

#4 ·
Dang! You have been busy scaping all these tanks in such a short time period! This looks like it is going to be quite a bit to keep up with.

They all look good and healthy. Each has a unique character.

The only input I have is rasboras espei > rasboras harlequin ime. Stays smaller, more colorful, and schools tighter. Maybe slightly more sensitive to water quality.
Thank you! Yea I basically spent the last week everyday after work messing with the tanks but I did think it out before setting them up, I switched most of the tanks to low light/slow growers so it shouldnt be too hard to keep up with the tanks, especially switching the 55 gallon. Also thanks for the advice on the fish, yea I just put up what I thought of last night so the stocking might chaning a bit and I like the idea of rasbora espei.

I love how each of them are different and shows a unique scape. I've always wanted to do something like thia
Thank you! Yea I love my setup!

#5 ·
Just put 5 Black Skirt Tetras in the riparium set up along with 3 Salt and Pepper Corys, will update with pictures of them tomorrow! Also I am picking up 5 Angel Altums for the 55 gallon on sunday and they look awesome!!! Im sooo excited! I was thinking of doing Discus at first but with the stock I have in the tank now and the beauty of the Altums made me to decide to go witth the Altums.

#8 ·
Thanks, I just threw in all the plants that used to be in my 55gal into it, for some reason people seem to like it more...and the light is a BuildMyLED Fixture. Its GREAT for growing plants!

Tanks look great! As far as I know, 10g is adequate for hillstream loaches, but they are not really 'tropical', they live in water about 18-22 degrees C. Also, they need fast flow that would be bothersome to the fish you already have in there IMHO :)
Yea I knew that and was going to throw in my Vietnamese white clouds in there with them and then I would not have had to put in a heater. I decided to go to Peppered Corys instead! I have always wanted to keep Corys and with the tank being a riparium not much light actually get down to the substrate so wasnt sure if there would be enough algae growth for the hillstream loach. Also got some Black Skirt Tetras in there as well. They match the Corys and dont distract from the riparium but complement it I believe and its a great look!

Heres some closeup of the new inhabitants of the 10 gal Riparium! Sorry for the dark photos, not much light gets down into the actual tank.

Crappy shot of the Black Skirt Tetras, it was nighttime and I turned on the lights to take a photo of them so they were skittish and still a bit pale.

Last note I get my Altums tomorrow!!! Im like a kid before christmas :bounce:

#9 ·
GOT MY ALTUMS TODAY!!! As you can tell I was very excited for them and they are beautiful! They are a bit washed out right now and huddled in a corner but hopefully they will soon feel comfortable in there new home. Any advice from Altum owners would be appreciated. Heres a few pictures of them and there tank mates!

Also got a lot done today besides picking up the Altums, I completely tore down and cleaned the 10 gallon tank with the puffer that was had an outbreak of cyanobacteria (BGA). I dosed it with Maracyn and also poured boiling hot water in the tank for about 10 minutes, hopefully this combination nukes it. Also and going to black out the tank for a day or two just in case. Lastly I got some cardinal tetras for my 20 gallon tank! Im sure you guys know how hey look like so I didnt take any pictures of them. Got them from petsmart and to be honest there color is not the best...Oh well I still like them lol

#10 · (Edited)
Well just did more research on the lineage of the Angels since I was curious. Turns out they are Rio ***** Altum Hybrids which are not true Altums but P. scalares. Dont really care either way because they still look beautiful! The Angels have started to color up a lot especially when I turn off the tank light. They also started to explore the tank and are not huddled in the corner which is a great sign I think. Cant wait to get home today and feed these guys!

#11 ·
Got some UG that I was planning on replacing the HC in my 10 gallon tank with today but it did not come in the best shape and in addition for some reason I got one of my light fixtures that I ordered for my 2.5 gallon tank today which I wasnt expecting (I ordered it after ordering a filter for the tank but got the light first) so I decided to salvage as much UG as I could and plant it into the 2.5 gallon. Heres a picture of the scape and it planted, it is very cloudy as I took it right after planting and the tank does not have a filter yet (should come in tmr)

Also here is another picture of my Angels! They explore the tank more when the lights are dimmer so I turned the lights off for this shot. I have noticed that one maybe two of the Angels were being hostile/flaring at the other angels today...I hope they dont get aggressive. The club member who I got it from said he never saw any aggression between the Angels but maybe the stress from the move and moving from a 68 gallon to a 55 gallon tank is causing the aggression but either way I hope it doesnt continue.

Also heres a few pictures of the fish in their old tank and how I hope they will color once they are more comfortable.

#12 ·
Got my Current LED+ yesterday and have it all set up! Didnt have time to take a photo or video of it yesterday but will update with one when I get home. Its a really great fixture I have to say and the colors you get from the light is amazing! I really love it. Also was able to get rid of all the HC in my 10 gallon that was infested with clad and replanted with the remaining UG that I had. The UG wasnt in the best condition when I got it so hopefully it recovers...will have large update with all my tanks when I get home hopefully, glad to say all the tanks are now all set up!

#13 ·
those all look good. I wont fuss at you about the stocking levels in your tanks--not my place. I will say that I noticed you have White Cloud Mountain Minnows in with your Angels--those two like polar opposites in water temps. The WCMM like colder water and the Angels want warm water.

#15 ·
Yea agree with ya there, I actually gave most of the WCMM to a club member the only ones in there now are the ones I couldnt catch...Not sure what to really do with them atm so they are stuck there sadly. I will probably try and catch them and give them away at the next SFBAAPS meet. As for as stocking I think that all the tanks are fine. The angels mostly stay in the middle/top level and the oddessa's and barbs actaully school together a lot and have always liked to stay on the lower mid level/bottom never going up unless its feeding time, lastly the rainbow shark likes to stay in his corner under the Amazon sword. Filtration wise I am not to worried as I do constant water changes 2x50% per week.

#17 ·
Heres an update of all my tanks up and running! (PS sorry for the dark photos, didnt notice till after I uploaded everything and by then was to lazy to retake them lol)

First off the 55 gallon with the Current LED+ and Angels! The photos dont do the fixture justice so ill try and make a video later, this photo was taken with the "dusk" setting.

Next up the 20 gallon with the new Cardinal Tetras! Just trimmed the plants again they are growing like crazy under the BuildMyLED fixture, still need to get more Cardinal.

Here is the 10 gallon riparium with the black skirt tetras and peppered corys, its kind of hard to see them under the lighting.

Heres one of the 10 gallons replanted after the tear down to kill the BGA, moved the puffer.

Also heres the other 10 gallon replanted to kill the Clad that had overidden the HC so I replanted with UG.

Heres a update on the 1.5 gallon planted with UG, plan on adding some kind of shrimp.

Heres the second 1.5 gallon, which is chugging along, will also add shrimp soon hopefully.

Lastly heres the 5 gallon tank which I will eventually rescape...for now it looks like a downoi farm lol

Lastly heres a shot of the whole setup!

#18 ·
Well of course when things are going great something bad has to happen. Unfortunately for me it was the worst thing that could happen. I was moving some furniture around and broke my 55 gallon. I am so depressed right now...all the fish are in two tubs right now....will see what I can do tomorrow...*@!&^#*&!^#*!@&#

#19 ·
Ugh the more I think about this the more depressed I get...this was my very first tank and what got me into the hobby...always thought I would have this tank with me for life...I was so attached to it even though it wasnt always easy to work with and was a pita to move with me throughout college and after. I have this tank for about the past 4 years. RIP 55 gallon, you will be missed...will try to find a replacement in the next few days, I hope the fish survive.

#22 ·
sorry to hear!!!

did you bump it?

my 55g is the first tank to...
Yea, talking on the phone while doing things is never a good thing even when your not driving apparently. Was talking on the phone and trying to move my glass kitchen table and one of the corners bumped into the fish tank and caused it to crack...

Sorry for the loss but you can take it as a chance to upgrade maybe to something a little taller?
Thanks and yea well see, if petco has there $1 per gallon sale right now I will probably just get another 55 gallon because I allready have the stand, but if they dont I might be able to get a 68gallon tank (very weird dimension) from the same club member who I got the angels from.

#23 ·
I saw a 72 gallon on craigslist in the San Fransico bay area listings for 170.00. with stand, if it's still available, close enough and you like it. Wasn't really sure where to look that was closest to you.

So sorry to hear about your tank and hope you get a new one you love soon.

#24 ·
I saw a 72 gallon on craigslist in the San Fransico bay area listings for 170.00. with stand, if it's still available, close enough and you like it. Wasn't really sure where to look that was closest to you.

So sorry to hear about your tank and hope you get a new one you love soon.

Thankyou so much for taking the time and searching! I think I found a listing on CL for a 55 gallon for $79 so will look at it after work, if that doesnt work (the main problem will be fitting it into my car) I actually might consider the 72 gallon one, only thing I dont like is its a bowfront...who knows maybe ill like it.

#26 ·
Well thankfully I found a replacement 55 gallon, and in addition it somehow fit in my 2-door car! I spent the majority of yesterday after work setting the tank back up but have not put the fish in the tank yet as it is very cloudy from the sand settling. Hopefully the fish will survive another day in the plastic tubes and ill will try putting them back in the tank today after work!

#29 ·
Heres a photo of the broken tank, been so busy the last few days scrambling to get and set up the new 55 gallon, im so glad this whole event is over. So far no casualty

Heres the photo of the new tank all set up.

Also heres a rescape of my 5 gallon, the scale of using the downoi kinda ruins it and you cant see the smaller rocks building up to the "Mountain/Volcano" but I didnt have anywhere else to place the downoi and it seemed to grow very well in that tank so I left it in there.

#30 ·
Got some new critters!!!

Scarlet Badis! Never realized how small these fish are, I love this little guy! For now hes in the 1.5 gallon tank because its infested with little tiny white bugs which he loves to hunt.

Also got some wiled Bumblebee Shrimp, they are in the 5 gallon tank. Probably am going to stay in there.

Also nice picture I got of one of my cherry shrimp.

#33 · (Edited)
Got a few new critters thanks to MsJinkzd! All made it into my tanks safely and pretty much colored up immediately! Will post pics of all the new critters I got (Chili Rasboras, Glowlight rasbora, Cardinals, and a surprise pygmy cory!) tmr as its nightime for the fish and I dont like turning on the light at night and scaring them. Also ordered some Repashy Community plus from her as well and will try out the new food and let everyone know how it is. Im very curious how the fish will take to it and if they will be happy with it because with all the new fish I have feeding all of them frozen food every day is starting to get expensive lol

On a bad note while putting in the new Cardinals I realized the the ones that I had, had developed Ick (of course these are the ones I bought at petsmart when they were on sale...knew I shouldnt have). They are the only fish in the tank so I guess it could have been worse but I did not realize that until after I put in the new fish as this is the tank lowest to the ground and the one I stare at the least....I have raised the tank to ~86 which I know the Cardinals can handle and put in salts so Ill hope for the best.

ps. darn just remembered there are Amanos and Ottos in the tank as well....hope they dont die from the heat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.