3rd try is a charm! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

3rd try is a charm!

I am new to the forum but I have tried the planted tank thing a couple of times without success. Third time is a charm, right?

1st try: 5 years ago, 90 gallon high-tech resulted in a total failure when the solenoid controlling the CO2 opened fully during the night. I awoke to a tank full of dead fish. I was so discouraged that I took down the tank and sold it.
2nd try: 2 years ago, 8 gallon high-tech resulted in great growth until...you guessed it, solenoid failure resulting in the death of all my fauna. Clearly I am really bad with CO2 systems (or at least solenoids).
3rd try: current setup, 5 gallon low-tech, results remain to be seen and any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

The tank is a Fluval Spec V with Flourite substrate. I am currently using API liquid CO2 Booster daily along with Nutrafin Plant Gro weekly liquid fertilizer. I also purchased API root tabs, but I have yet to use them.

Flora: Anubias nana, Microsorum pteropus, Hygrophila corymbosa, Cryptocoryne wendtii

Fauna: 1 Synodontis nigriventris (Upside down catfish). My plan is to remove the catfish and go with just Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda).

Last edited by jehrlh21535; 08-16-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Add forward plan regarding shrimp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 09:56 AM

That tank looks pretty nice!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you. I have since added Java Moss and Hairgrass in anticipation of the arrival of my 16" Fugeray light. We shall see how the plants react to the additional light. I have heard that Java Fern may not respond well to strong light; we shall see.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Have you grown then narrow leaf java fern before? Sorry dunno which one that is off the list, mine has root/tentacles coming out of some of the leaves and im starting to not like the look
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 04:45 AM
Algae Grower

Make sure you don't overdo the fertilizer. Without a co2 unit I could lead to some serious algae. Also I'd think about getting a co2 unit with that finnex light.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankYouVeryMuch View Post
Have you grown then narrow leaf java fern before? Sorry dunno which one that is off the list, mine has root/tentacles coming out of some of the leaves and im starting to not like the look
The only time I have had roots coming out of the leaves with java fern has been when it is reproducing. Eventually, given enough time, little java fern plants will be big enough (1/2" or so long when measuring the rhizome) to disconnect from the parent and replant on a piece of driftwood or rock.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews95 View Post
Make sure you don't overdo the fertilizer. Without a co2 unit I could lead to some serious algae. Also I'd think about getting a co2 unit with that finnex light.
I am using a liquid CO2 supplement (API CO2 Booster); what are your thoughts? Would that type of supplement work well with the Fugeray? My only concern with doing a compressed gas CO2 system is that I have twice before had really bad luck with solenoids resulting in overdosing and killing all my fauna. Do you have a recommended CO2 system that has worked well for you that would be well-matched to the 5 gallon nano I am running?

Last edited by jehrlh21535; 08-16-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Add CO2 Booster name
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

interesting. so a new rhizome will also grow from the leaf?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, if you see roots growing from your java fern leaves then you should notice a rhizome from which those roots are started. If you don't have a rhizome then it may be something else entirely...in which case I have no idea what it would be... Do you have a good closeup picture?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updated photos with Java Fern and Anubias Nana removed and Dwarf Hairgrass and Water Wisteria added. Also, Finnex Fugeray 16" LED Fixture upgrade.

Last edited by jehrlh21535; 08-19-2013 at 03:42 AM. Reason: change URL to pics
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think its exactly what youre talking about, i am going to try to seperate it tomorrow . I will try and take some pics, thanks
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank update:
In the past couple of weeks I have obtained a Bulk Reef Supply 6 stage chloramines RO/DI system and begun using a mix of RO and tap water along with Kent R/O Right for water changes. Additionally, I have added a paintball CO2 system (Aquatek) and drop checker (from GLA). I am currently running 6 bpm, but it looks like I will be increasing this slowly every day to reach "green" in the drop checker. Plants are doing good and I already have my first set of RCS babies (what is the scientific name for shrimp babies?).

Last edited by jehrlh21535; 09-04-2013 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Changed links to pics
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 02:57 AM
Planted Member

Here's to third tries! Glad to see your previous experience didn't discourage you from co2, sorry you had such a rough go with it.

Looks like you've got the equipment in order, I think you need like 200-300% more plants though! haha

Seriously good job though, can't wait to see your tank grow out!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
—KV

20g journal
29g journal
55g journal
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you. This time I am making sure to pay close attention to what I am doing so that I can take any lessons learned and apply them to a larger planted tank in the future. I am thinking of a 58 gallon (36"x18"x18") if I am successful with the 5 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode