180 Gallon Cardinal Tetra Tank - Yup, this is going to happen - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Baliban View Post
I havent used stems since 2010! Sounds like a drug commercial.

jB
LOL, I've been 'off stems' for around 3 years as well. If anyone needs help with they're addiction, feel free to PM me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 05:30 PM
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

Glad to see you back Jason.

I look follow to this!!!

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"
post #18 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Myself like many others can't wait to see this tank come together. Your tanks always are amazing so I'm sure this one will be also. No pressure

What species of lilaeopsis do you plan to use?

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
post #19 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
Myself like many others can't wait to see this tank come together. Your tanks always are amazing so I'm sure this one will be also. No pressure

What species of lilaeopsis do you plan to use?
How many of them are there now?

What would you recommend? This is an open question to anyone. I imagine i will use lower light with co2. the tank is too deep to get in there and trim and replant often. so i need a reasonable SLOW growing carpet plant.

jB
post #20 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
LOL, I've been 'off stems' for around 3 years as well. If anyone needs help with they're addiction, feel free to PM me.
Same here. They're fun when you first get into planted tanks but eventually turn into too much work.
post #21 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

What would you recommend? This is an open question to anyone. I imagine i will use lower light with co2. the tank is too deep to get in there and trim and replant often. so i need a reasonable SLOW growing carpet plant.

jB
I've been liking L. mauritiana. It needs less light than brasiliensis. I've recently pulled up the rug in my 75 and replanted with it for the second time. I'm using 1x54 T5HO with a PAR level of approximately 45 at the substrate and you can literally see new growth each day.

http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/pla....aspx?pid=040b
post #22 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

jB
As Jeff said the L. mauritiana would be a better choice than brasiliensis or there is L. nova mini which is a lot smaller than the previous two. It's not seen as often as the others though so may be hard to round up a decent amount.

I completely understand the wanting to get away from stem plants especially if you have a busy life. It's much more enjoyable to just watch plants slowly fill in rather than spending all your time constantly trimming.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
post #23 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What about using HC and just letting it grow wild? It's pretty easy to just cut out strips or chunks to trim.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Aquatic Gardeners Association
Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #24 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
What about using HC and just letting it grow wild? It's pretty easy to just cut out strips or chunks to trim.
I worry about it getting a little "leggy." I am only going to have a 4x54 t5 over a 30" deep 180 gallon tank. What do you think?

jB
post #25 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've never used T5 before so I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure you're right. The lights would have to be right on the tank to keep it from happening.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Aquatic Gardeners Association
Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #26 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I worry about it getting a little "leggy." I am only going to have a 4x54 t5 over a 30" deep 180 gallon tank. What do you think?

jB
No cheating, if your off stems your off stems. We all know what HC is

I guess you want something grass-like. You could go with something like a Crypt willisii. I think the scale would work with that plant. I would say Parva, but you'll be having grand kids by the time it fills in the bottom of a 180. I don't think you want to be spending any real time 30" down. That gets old real fast as you probably know.
post #27 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I always wanted to build a tank like that, too! Going to live vicariously through a subscription.
post #28 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Marsilea sp. are great for lower-light/lower maintenance foreground. Minuta is small enough it looks like dark, thick glosso, but quadrifolia isn't too much bigger. I really like the lilaeopsis Mauritania as well but more as a transitional plant than a foreground. I'm currently pairing the two in my 120-P (no pics yet, but soon enough).
post #29 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

oh good grief...

Ive been just feeding my fish and nothing else for over a year now--really no plants other than java fern and some swords and moss----I have a 180g sitting empty in my basement and you throw this out there--now my head is filled with what types of fish I could fill that monster with again....

Thanks Jason--can I send you half of the bill? LOL.
post #30 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3fan View Post
oh good grief...

Ive been just feeding my fish and nothing else for over a year now--really no plants other than java fern and some swords and moss----I have a 180g sitting empty in my basement and you throw this out there--now my head is filled with what types of fish I could fill that monster with again....

Thanks Jason--can I send you half of the bill? LOL.
HAHAHAHA

jB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode