New to the forum. Thought I would share my tank. Ideas and comments certainly welcome.
65 Gal 36W X 18D X 24H
ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia with Power Sand base and Aqua Soil powder type cap
Marineland 36" aquatic plant light- 9 hours per day
GLA "choice" CO2 system (timer) with inline atomic diffuser
Cal Aqua drop checker with Cal Aqua 4kH
I set the tank up on 6/11 with substrate, water and filter to start the nitrogen cycle. I added some mulm from an existing tank. Within a day or two I had a white fungus on the Manzanita driftwood. Reading that it was normal I brushed it off when it got thick and moved on. I planted on 6/15 with the following:
Sagittaria Subulata, Staurogyne Repens, Java Fern, Anubias Coffeefolia, Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis, Cabomba Purple, Telanthera Rosefolia and Java Moss
I immediately started dosing EI as follows:
40-60 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 3/4 tsp GH booster once a week(water change only)
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week (Flourish)
50% weekly water change
I slowly adjusted the CO2 and honed in on @2.5 BPS which turned my DC green and gave me @6.4pH and 2.5KH in an API test kit. Obviously these are estimates as I haven't made calibration solutions. Although I still didn't have any fish in it because I want to be ultra careful with my Rainbows and Angels, I wanted to go slowly as if I were making adjustments with a stocked tank and to learn how to recognize changes.
From day 5 to day 11 I saw good pearling and lots of new growth in the Combomba Purple, Telanthera Rosefolia, sag and 1 of the Anubias. The rest seemed ok or showed some growth.
Two weeks in while doing a water change and adding another Anubias, Java Fern and Ludwigia Peruensis which was missing from the first shipment, I noticed that most of my anubias were falling apart and the rhizomes were melting. In addition I was now seeing diatoms, green hair algae and some sort of fungus like mass on the java moss etc. I slowly upped the CO2 to about 4 BPS and my drop checker is now light green to slightly yellow and my pH is slightly lower than 6.4 and Kh 3.
At that point I hadn't put fish in because the tank was still cycling and wanted to be sure I had the CO2 figured out. After ammonia was at 0 for about 5 or 6 days I found my Nitrites and Nitrates were pretty high. Nitrites were up to 2 PPM and Nitrates between 40 and 80 PPM. I was doing frequent water changes and they immediately came down to around .25 PPM and 10 to 20 PPM respectively but later that day or the next day they were high again. After a few days the tank fully cycled but Nitrates remained pretty high.
Just short of a month old, after some ups and downs, things seemed to be heading in the right direction. Here's the tank on July 2nd.
More to come...