Beginning of an Era (6'x3'x2' 300g) - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Phil, as you're probably aware...if you don't provide proper screening, your sump will turn into a shrimp refugium regardless of design. I found that leaf gutter guard finally stopped critters from being washed down...at least in my overflow's case.

Looking forward to an awesome sump!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Planted Member

crazymittens, thanks for your reply. i like your overkill approach!

phil, i've had that suspicion about fw refugiums being duplicative. there is a youtube video re a discus guy who never does water changes to a show tank that is pretty persuasive and makes me think 'sure, why not?!.' i do like your idea re the shrimp 'refuge' and that may be worth the price of admission for me as well.

my apologies for any drift re ba.

love the build and looking forward to updates.

thanks,
post #33 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

To be honest, more plants is better for filtration, so if you can swing the space, definitely not detrimental.

I'm also in the no water changes camp...yay sump. Yay plants.
post #34 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No worries about the "chatter" folks, we're here to talk shop and I enjoy it. It's good to get other peoples' perspectives as well. Even with as many tanks as I've set up in the past I still have a lot to learn and new ideas come up every day. Chatter away!

I think an opposite cycle "refugium" would be a viable option for some systems and some people's needs. In my case (and probably yours too) I've got to fertilize to keep nutrient levels high enough. That alone negates the need for a plant filter in my mind.

crazymittens,

You're absolutely right! I'm planning on shrimp colonizing the sump "passively". I'll have some sort of mesh over the overflow box to keep out the big stuff and fish, but any shrimp that want to go live in the sump are more than welcome to. I'm considering keeping altums and/or dwarf cichlids in here...maaaaybe, and if I do I'll need a safe place for the shrimpies to make babies to replace the ones that get eaten.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Aquatic Gardeners Association
Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #35 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I am actually looking forward to seeing the whole Brightwell Aquatics line.
post #36 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Me too, hedge_fund. Looking forward to documented usage. I prefer using dry products because I have to pay for them. But if I got my goods for free? I'd be all over it.

OP: Will you be going with a background on either tank?

I've been toying with a similarly sized tank (for shrimp and tiny Cories), though only 8-10" deep, so I'm really intrigued by this all. Can't wait to see how things develop.

Hope you'll be linking to and profiling all the products you end up using. Which FlorinVolcanit Rio Cafe will you be using? Have always wanted to try that line.
post #37 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hedge_Fund,

I am too! I won't be able to give out proprietary info, such as exact formulation etc, but I'll give as much info, in the form of how I see things performing, as I can. I'll be listing exact weekly dosages of each product and test results for concentration in the tank as often as I can take them. One thing I'm particularly interested in is what the uptake rates in a system like this really are. Assuming 50% daily uptake, i.e. EI, clearly works, but my curiousity is begging for a more concrete data set.

somewhatshocked,

Yes, I'll be doing a background of black styrofoam in the planted tank. I'm toying with the idea of making a 3D background of foam, dry rock, and cement in the reef. It really depends on the type of corals I want to keep and how I can manage flow dynamics. I'm envisioning a largely LPS and softie tank with a smattering of my favorite SPS for good measure.

Right now I'm leaning toward using the F (~3mm) grain size. I considered using the M on the bottom with F on top, but I can't stand seeing mixed grains and I know in time some of the M will end up on top as plants get pulled up and moved around. It's a purely personal aesthetic decision and has no basis in the performance of the different sizes. If I were going with more of an NA style rather than Dutch style aquascape I would definitely be using the M below with F and XF on top in a similar manner that ADA layers Power Sand and the two sizes of AS.

Likewise, the choice of Cafe over Escuro is an aesthetic one. I've seen both and the black is really nice, but I prefer the dark brown color.

For product info you can go here: http://www.brightwellaquatics.com/products/
Scroll down the right side to find the product you want. Clicking on the Technical button will provide you with all the information that I could give you on what's in what and such.

Thanks for watching!

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #38 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Now that I've had a few hours to think about it, I believe you should just post about 10,000 photos of the tanks and such in order to keep our appetites sated.

For the reef... it would be amazing to see huge mounds of different Zoas spread throughout the tank. Especially if you have tons of flow and movement of species that, well, move.

The tank is so big that you could have dozens of marine shrimp without ever running into issues.

Just think of all the tiny hermit crabs you'll be able to keep! Literally thousands.

Freshwater... 3mm will be nice. The tank is so huge that I think any grain size would be relative, honestly. But definitely prefer going with a set size like 3mm. Will you maybe be doing a giant school of Corydoras habrosus? Maybe 100 of them so I can be so jealous I can't breathe?
post #39 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

very excited to see where this will go! I hope whenvere I get my own house it has a basement where I can turn it into a fish room without the wifey killing me lol
post #40 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

LOL, 10,000 pictures? I can take lots of pictures of the cleaned tanks right now, but I doubt that'll be terribly interesting.

A large school of corys does sound fun and is something I've been considering.

For the reef, I won't have many, if any colonial polyps. Those things are too much of a pest. They grow too quickly and I can't easily direct their growth to fit in with an aquascape. There are some types that I like, but no Zooanthus or Palythoa species. DEFINITELY no Xenia or its allies. *subject to change at the whim of the tank owner. Movement will be provided by the Euphyllia and Softies like Finger and Leather corals. Oh yeah, lots and lots of shrimp. I don't want any really large fish. Rather, I'd prefer a school or three of smaller guys like Anthias and the neat little nano fish available these days.

Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #41 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 12:55 AM
Algae Grower

Hurry and and get that tank planted and take some pictures. Then you can take a day off to go to Knoebals! :-)

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta.
post #42 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

mpkee007,

Getting the tank up and running is going to depend on a number of factors, not the least of which is getting enough people to my place to replace the stands and get the tanks moved to their new spot. Then of course there's the plumbing and overflow making and light hanging and CO2 running...and so on. I'm thinking this installation is going to take longer than I thought. I've got so many things I want to do, some of which need to be done before I put water in the tank. I can get away with waiting for a sump as long as I've got the overflow installed first. I really want to do everything the right way the first time, so I think I'm going to have to take more time to plan. We'll see.

Whereabouts in NEPA are you?

Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #43 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 01:09 AM
Algae Grower

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area

post #44 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Once I get things up and running you should come down and see it in person. Are there any other plant heads up in that area?

Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #45 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Algae Grower

Not sure. I don't think too many. They are more towards the Harrisburg/York area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode