Beginning of an Era (6'x3'x2' 300g) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

These tanks are going to be amazing! Can't wait to see how they develop.

Semi-related note: Starting a reef journal anywhere that we could follow?

About people making recommendations... that's going to happen because it's a discussion forum. Just take what people say with a grain of sand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Captain's Log- 7.25.13: The ship has been cleaned and careened. She is now being prepared for bilge removal.

Cleaning was a lot faster and less labor intensive than I thought it would be. Scooping out hundreds of pounds of substrate took a while, but that was expected. Because the tank's been sitting dry for as long as it has the coralline was very soft and easy to remove. A gentle run-over with a paint scraper then more serious scraping with a piece of scrap acrylic took care of most of it. Wetting and scrubbing with a new dish sponge took care of the rest. Anything that's left over will dissolve in the water or be made quick work of with a glass cleaner. I'm on a well and need to be careful of not using too much water too quickly and burning out the pump so it'll be a few days before there's enough water in the tank to get a good siphoning done. So, without further ado, here are the pics.

First blood! Ceiling and tank rim: 1, Phil: 0.

Lovely old substrate. This is going into the reef eventually.

Cleaned tank.

Both tanks are getting moved back toward the wall. That little lip in the ceiling above the tank where the outlets are is right at head-height.

I may put one of the tanks along this wall, we'll see. Having them facing perpendicular to each other would make viewing easier from one chair. Space and access to outlets will dictate placement. If a tank doesn't go there that'll end up being where my qt/hospital and emersed tanks go.

Thanks for watching,
Phil

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Aquatic Gardeners Association
Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #18 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

pandacory,

Speaking of a budget; things will be different between the systems, for sure. Because I work in the industry I get deals on things and have access to a lot of hardware from previous product testing systems so any comparisons on cost will pretty much be invalidated.

somewhatshocked,

There will be an eventual reef log over at RC when the time comes. My first priority is getting the planted up and going before it gets too cold here to ship plants. Once it's up and running I can start thinking about plans for the reef.

I understand this is a discussion forum and all that. Because of where I work I don't want to get into a discussion of the whys, wherefores, and opinions of supplements and substrates for two reasons. 1- I'm no longer in a situation where I can freely discuss the pros and cons of different options without a) pissing off my employer and b) being seen as using this venue as a means of shilling a product line (I'm most definitely NOT!); and 2- this is still my hobby and I want to be here sharing my hobby experiences with other hobbyists in a friendly and relaxed environment. Having to explain my reasons and justify them every other post isn't what I consider relaxing or fun.

So here goes (hopefully) one last time. Yeah, I work for Brightwell Aquatics and yes, I get all our products for free. It's very cost effective for me to use them so that's the route I'm going to take. Due to the nature of my job I need to be intimately familiar with our products and using them in my personal systems is the best way for me to accomplish that. End note.

Now, let's continue talking about our favorite subject...planted aquariums!

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #19 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:26 AM
Planted Member

I'm going to assume you're in the basement & on the slab with those bad boys, 'cause I know if I tried to place one like that in my living room ... it'd be in the basement in pretty short order!

Those tanks hold magnificent potential, and I'm looking forward to seeing just what you do with them!

~Bruce
post #20 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Bruce! Yes, they're in the basement on a slab. I'm looking forward to seeing what I do with them too! I'm honestly not quite sure how it's all going to work out, but it'll work out somehow.

Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #21 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What kind of Co2 supply are you thinking of getting for this monster? Regulator and such, I ask because the bubbles per second must be insane.

Also, you said T5? What bulbs and spectrum?

ADA 60P
|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|Fluval Edge[6g] |DIY Diffuser YT
E-series E60 on ADA60F - MicMol AquaMini x3 on ADA 60P - MicMol AquaPro on ADA30C
post #22 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Flyinghellfish,

I'm not quite sure of the brand lighting I'll be using. We've got quite a few things stashed in the storage building that I've been told are fair game. I need to go through and do a sort-and-see. I've also been thinking of going with a T-5 and Halide combo since the tank's braced. As far as regulators go, I'm still looking into those. I'll give specifics as soon as I figure them out.

Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #23 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You should check out JasonNZ's 1400L build for sump/overflow ideas. I really like how he did the overflow via bulkheads...your drill locations look like you could do something similar.

Looking forward to your sump/co2/lighting choices....and more pics!

Subscribed.
post #24 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Crazymittens, yeah, that's a great build and I might be able to do something like that with the overflow. The sump is insane! Something like that might have to wait until I've got some real money to spend. One of my past times is designing sumps and such. I've got a lot of ideas, but I'm not quite sure what will end up being best for this system. His build is giving me some good ideas though. Thanks for the tip.

Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #25 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sumps don't have to cost a huge amount...I think this is a bias enforced by all the rad 'custom acrylic sump' build threads.

I built mine using a 30G tank and some acrylic adhered with silicone. The tank-to-sump plumbing, on the other hand....this can get out of hand. PVC is expensive, I'd say it was 40-50% of my total build cost. Then again, I did the referenced 'beananimal' design (which is awesome).
post #26 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymittens View Post
Sumps don't have to cost a huge amount...I think this is a bias enforced by all the rad 'custom acrylic sump' build threads.

I built mine using a 30G tank and some acrylic adhered with silicone. The tank-to-sump plumbing, on the other hand....this can get out of hand. PVC is expensive, I'd say it was 40-50% of my total build cost. Then again, I did the referenced 'beananimal' design (which is awesome).
hi crazymittens,

i'm kinda new and hadn't heard of this until tom referenced it above. after some searching, it seems bulletproof. how big is your overflow in relationship to the tank?

to op, will you consider a refugium? i've got it in my head that i should use one, but am wondering if i'm simply duplicating things in a planted tank. your thoughts?

thanks,
post #27 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have a quick question(s) in regards to the tank, what thickness glass, were they custom? Manufacturered? Etc... Cause sometimes if a large amount of glass shows up at my house I just tell the wife it was a happy mistake

Sent from... The BEYOND via tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #28 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

NWA, I'm pretty sure they're manufactured. The glass is about 1/2 inch thick so they're SOLID. Thankfully I live by myself and don't have to worry about someone else approving my pet projects.

Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #29 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not to derail the thread too much...

My overflow is 4x5x36" (runs length of tank). Could have been ~15-20% smaller if I'd used smaller pipe. My drains are 1.5"...huge overkill for a 50/30G setup, but I never ever have to worry about clogs. It's a bit large, compared to the tank, but filtration/skimming is killer. Further...I think my setup is technically good for up to 150 gallons...so I can re-use the piping as I upgrade display tanks.

A note on 'refugium'...for planted tanks I believe it's unnecessary unless you use it as a fry pond or similar safe haven. In reef tanks I think it's used primarily to add space for coral growth & additional biofiltration. I'm just going off internet research though, so feel free to correct my misinformation.
post #30 of 272 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

crazymittens,

I've built sumps out of tanks in the past and think it's a great option. For this system though, I do want to go with a custom built acrylic sump using a design I've come up with. I have certain dimensions and internal design features I want to include. If I'm going to make a sump for a tank like this I'm going to do it all the way.

I've considered doing an overflow like that, if only so I can make it slimmer to take up less real estate in the tank. I've got some thinking to do about how well I'll be able to make something like that which will hold up for years' of use. The last thing I need is a failed DIY overflow dumping 100+ gallons of water on the floor and burning up a pump when it drains the sump.

A pair of 2" drains will handle anything I care to throw at them.

trailsnale,

I'm not going to be doing a refugium per-se considering the display is a much larger "refugium", aka plant filter, than anything that a sump could provide. I do want a space in the sump to grow out plants and maintain a breeding colony of shrimp. In that sense there will be a refugium, yes.

Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode